Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
National Champions? You decide
#29831 01/05/04 06:15 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
i know there are some football fans out there, so the question of the day is, "Who should be crowned national champions?"
A-USC
B-LSU
C-LSUUSC
D-USCLSU

the question for tommorow is, "what should be done about the BCS?"
this one is more open ended...

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
Re: National Champions? You decide
#29832 01/05/04 07:21 PM
local
local
To be honest..having seen both of them play and been impressed and having no affinity for either I'm perfectly fine to see them share the title.

As far as a playoff system goes, I'm for one (as are most fans), but I'd prefer it's as simple as possible. I think they should take the top 4 teams from the BCS, pair them off 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3, and then have a title game from that. They could move two of the BCS bowls (that still rotate like they do now) up a week in the bowl schedule, and then have the Championship game the same time they have it now.

This would preserve the bowls (for those that care), preserve the BCS (for those with a vested interest), maintain a little controversy over seedings(a little bad press is still good press..see NCAA Bball brackets), and generate more revenue for the NCAA. It's also easy to adopt, and would be quick clean solution for all the naysayers among fans and the press.

I think most seasons fans could agree on the top 4 teams of the country. Playoffs and where to cut off (8, 16, 32, whatever) would be a lot fuzzier I think. For example Tennesee (#8) finished above Miami (#9) by .15 BCS points...even if you could ignore how close that is, could you really make a rock hard case for either team? It also gets ugly then with scheduling.

"My" (not like I'm the first) solution is not without problems either. This year it would have been Oklahoma-Michigan and USC-LSU in the "first round". In hindsite that's wouldn't have resulted in the top two teams in the final, but nothings perfect. Same thing happens in other sports all the time with the AFC being stronger than the NFC or the Western Conference being stronger than the Eastern Conference in the NBA. Besides, per the formula, they WERE 1-4, and 2-3...and without everyone playing everyone and with matching records how perfect can a formula really get? I think it does a pretty good job now considering all it should be factoring.

-Nick

Just my two cents.

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
#29833 01/05/04 07:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't follow college football. Two champions? Call me crazy, but that doesn't make sense. Why not have USC and LSU play for the title?

Share the championship...what kinda pansy idea is that?

#29834 01/05/04 07:48 PM
local
local
I like the split championship. Controversy is good -- it gives us something to talk about until (and during) next season. Additionally, twice as many kids get championship rings and will get to tell their grandchildren that they were national champions. I think it's great, and I would hate to see a playoff cheapen the regular season and the existing bowl system.

#29835 01/05/04 07:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't like the split championship. I wouldn't want some other guy thinking he was on the championship team if I didn't play with him. There is only one champion.

#29836 01/05/04 08:02 PM
aficionado
aficionado
on a slightly different topic, congrats to the American Junior hockey team who just finished defeating our beloved Canadian squad 4-3 in Finland to win the World Junior Hockey Championship. There must be a couple of US hockey fans on here that were watching (or is it just us Canucks now crying in our beers).

"Chickens don't clap."
#29837 01/05/04 08:04 PM
local
local
Actually, there are two champions. :-)

What I don't like is a team on a two-game losing streak being voted the #3 team in the country. That makes no sense to me.

#29838 01/05/04 08:04 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
-----------------
I don't follow college football. Two champions? Call me crazy, but that doesn't make sense. Why not have USC and LSU play for the title?
---------------

very funny.

now you know how we feel(or at least some of us).

i do not think USC and LSU should play for the title this year. They each won a championship and to take that away from them would be terrible.

BUT, i think there should be some way to resolve a split championship. i was thinking of a playoff between the top teams myself. in my idea i had the top 8 play in a playoff. But, i didnt see the complications that could arise when deciding between team 8 and 9 and 6 and 7 and etcetera. I like the 4 playoff system though.

I think the worst part about the BCS is not the dual championship part. The worst part about the BCS is the exclusion of teams that happens every year. NIU was ranked top 10 and was undefeated until weak 7 or 8. the ended up 10-2 in a tough conference. But, they are not in the elite conferences and did not go to a bowl game. Northwestern, who is in the big ten(who in my opinion was the most underserving team playing in a bowl at 6-6) ended up going to a bowl. In their 6 wins, they beat U of Illinois(1-10) and U of Indiana(2-9). That is ridiculous. I feel bad for NIU.

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#29839 01/05/04 08:14 PM
local
local
Northern Illinois was probably more deserving of a bowl berth than Northwestern or UCLA were, but to say that an unranked mid-major team that didn't make it to its conference championship is deserving of a BCS appearance is just silly.

#29840 01/05/04 08:42 PM
R
buff
buff
R
My vote...Miami Hurricanes.

No need to explain myself...I'm right on this one, just trust me. HaHA

Regarding junior hockey, how many times does a team leading at the end of the second come out in the third and blow it...too many.
The Canadians should have been up 4 or 5-1 after the second, but didn't finish off on a lot of opportunities.
I couldn't believe Fleury banked it off his own player, directly back at himself, and into the net.
Once the momentum changes anything can happen. It was a great game to watch, with lots of action.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters