Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
Re: Ann Coulter
BlueJays1 #299381 03/30/10 03:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Doc, do you remember Stan Jonathan from the Bruins back in the 70's? Pound for pound, I've never seen a tougher fighter(in just about any sport) than him....little guy but built like an army tank.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #299382 03/30/10 03:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I wasn't even born yet.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #299384 03/30/10 03:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
:::feeling old now:::

BlueJays1 #299385 03/30/10 03:51 PM
R
veteran
veteran
R
This will clearly indicate where I grew up--the enforcers I remember most are Clark Gillies (of my then-beloved Islanders) and Nick Fotiu. I never liked the fighting, but to this day I like physical and chippy hockey the best.

RayLewis #299386 03/30/10 03:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Trottier was a tough player for his size too.

Adrian #299412 03/30/10 04:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
To get the thread back on topic, I'd like to see any of these players slug Ann Coulter.

Ukiah #299424 03/30/10 05:25 PM
U
enthusiast
enthusiast
U
Whackjobs?

http://www.wkrn.com/global/story.asp?s=12208009

Thank you Harry Weisiger.

I rest my case!

and speaking of whackjobs bigwill2. From all of us in Canada, blow it out your ass buddy boy!! ;\)

Some people are like Slinky's, not much use however, when pushed down stairs, they make you smile.
Ukiah #299427 03/30/10 05:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So...What brand of food does everyone feed their dog?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
grunt #299429 03/30/10 05:41 PM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: grunt
People act like this is the first time there has ever been vitriol in politics and that it’s all the fault of one side or the other.

Of course it's not the first time. But the recent (last 40 years or so) of right-wing violence and anger is what I'm talking about.

There was a time when the far left was a spawning ground for political violence ... But for the most part, far-left violence in this country has gone the way of the leisure suit and the AMC Gremlin. Unless you count PETA as a terrorist group...

The right has had a monopoly on being the "bad guys" here in the states in the latter half of the 20th century.

I give you two "recent" examples:

1. MLK assassination
2. Timothy McVeigh

Couple that with the Bush/Cheney administration getting away with openly advocating torture as policy and...

In the United States, the "both" sides are equally bad argument is a false meme.

you don’t even have to study history just watch the History Channel once and awhile.

Lol. Those who don't watch the History Channel are doomed to repeat it?

I'm not talking about the Nazis or Pol Pot. I'm talking about the current political climate (hot and partly crazy).

As for unbiased news, you all are kidding right?

Not really. There was a time that "news" was supposed to be reported accurately and political slant was saved for the editorial section.

Unless right wing revisionism has somehow turned Walter Cronkite into a commie pinko, I was raised that news, to quote Sgt. Friday was "Just the facts, ma'am...", not a certain sides version of the facts.

Historically news papers often had direct affiliation with a political party. Often being named in accordance with their political beliefs like the “such and such Democrat” or how about the “The Arizona Republican” now “The Arizona Republic.”

Yellow journalism, William Randolph Hearst etc. But there was still a consensus that a story had "facts" and the job of reporting the news was stating those "facts".

And yes, news papers were often a reflection of who owned them. But today the media has been consolidated and very few of them are truly independent anymore. That's become the domain of the internet. The day they shut down the intertubes is the day we are screwed. The internet is probably the biggest "freedom fighter" around. It's getting harder to lie, distort and repress news (except in China perhaps), and the whole world is the better for it imo.

Look, I remember that one of the reasons the American people stopped supporting the Viet Nam war was the endless footage of carnage and death. Today the American public is shown sanitized versions of the events and "news" has devolved into short "sound bites" with little or no regard to the integrity of the journalistic pillars of "who", "what", "when" and "how". This has dumbed down the population imo.

Like I said before, the idea of a liberal media is bs. The media is only as liberal as the corporations that own them.

From the U.S. entry into WWII into the 1960 U.S. media was decidedly right of center (Hollywood too) with the changes accelerated in U.S. culture by WWII (civil rights, exposure of many American to foreign cultures, mass higher education (GI Bill), mass migration to the suburbs, the coming of age of the baby boomers) much of the media swung decidedly to the Left.

That's a very interesting and accurate insight there. But still, there needs to be a separation of "news" and "opinion". Everyone is entitled to their opinion but not their own version of the facts.

Like the civil rights era. The fact was, a race of people were being attacked by police, dogs, water hoses etc. because they had the audacity to march for equal rights, an opinion would be that they deserved it because they were being funded by communists in a plot to destabilize god's chosen country.

Only one of those statements is "true", the other is propaganda.

God, I really do miss having the commies to blame stuff on though, lol.

For the longest time there was really only one national conservative voice William F. Buckley.

Man, I miss them old school conservatives. You could do business with those s.o.b's! They made valid (if sometimes horribly wrong), rational arguments. Rush Limbaugh? Not so much. Listen to him for five minutes and then do an unbiased fact check on what he says. He is a propagandist, as is Murdoch and Fox news.

Hell, I even kinda miss Nixon! At least those old school conservatives seemed to respect laws and put the good of the country before ideological concerns. Mostly...

I think it started to go downhill after Watergate. And Ronald Reagan.

"Facts are stupid things" --- Ronald Reagan

With the success of the Republican “Southern Strategy” in the later half of the last century the Republican Party became for the first time a truly national, not just regional, party.

Interesting perspective there Grunt. I would say that the Republican's made their deal with the devil then (and later with the religious right in the early 80's) by absorbing the Dixiecrats and their racist beliefs/fears. It seems before that, the kooks were more "fringe" on the right ( eg. John Bircher) and not so open about radical beliefs. The McCarthy era was denounced by both the left and the right. Now the right marches in rigid lockstep while the left, well, the left is like herding cats. A lot of different views within the ranks of the left. We have very conservative Democrats to very liberal ones. Dissent is common place in the Democratic party.

Back in the good ole' days you could be a socially liberal and fiscally conservative Republican. Not anymore. Now you have to kiss the ring of Rush and bow down to the Christian conservatives. Witness the recent tea party kooks for further evidence that the grand old party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt has devolved into the party of "HELL NO!".

Things are going to get a lot worse if we continue with policies that stop growing the pie bigger for everyone as more and more of us turn to fighting each other for our “fair share.” Much worse, methinks.

Amen brother.

I take solace that I no matter who’s in power I’m on the side with the biggest guns. ;\)

That's why we Americans need to wake up to who our real enemies are...

I'm talking about that evil, sleeping giant right on our border... CANADA!

That's right, we know you guys are just waiting to take us over!

What, with your reasonably priced speakers and godless bacon and all...

Better dead than Maple, eh...

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #299441 03/30/10 06:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: audiosavant

Of course it's not the first time. But the recent (last 40 years or so) of right-wing violence and anger is what I'm talking about.

Yet you dismiss the Left wing violence.

History of Terrorism: Where Did Left Wing Terrorism Go? [/quote]

Of course you could restrict your time period to about the last 25 years and have little left wing violence but then if one picks and chooses time periods to make a point then any point can be made.

Quote:

Lol. Those who don't watch the History Channel are doomed to repeat it?

Context! The entire comment was referenced to political vitriol seeming to be a new thing to so many nothing about history repeating. . . .

Quote:

Not really. There was a time that "news" was supposed to be reported accurately and political slant was saved for the editorial section.

Unless right wing revisionism has somehow turned Walter Cronkite into a commie pinko, I was raised that news, to quote Sgt. Friday was "Just the facts, ma'am...", not a certain sides version of the facts.

Your right there was a time before the mid 60s when the Right believed that the “news” was reported accurately and there was a time between then and the 90s when the Left wing believed the same. So I guess for each of them it was in that time. Doesn’t make it so for everyone.

Quote:

It's getting harder to lie, distort and repress news (except in China perhaps), and the whole world is the better for it imo.

The internet makes it much easier to lie and distort due to the shear overflow of information. While it is true that now you or I could log in and see live what’s happening on the scene through cell phones etc. . . the reality is most news we receive is still collected and filtered for us and most people don’t take the time to check primary sources even when available. IMO lies are much easier to perpetrate and more prevalent simply because of the illusion of “accuracy” given by the internet which most people just don’t have the time to verify. So while the “Big Lie” is more problematic lots of “Little Lies” have taken it’s place. Decapitation or death of a thousand cuts leads to the same end.

Quote:

Like I said before, the idea of a liberal media is bs. The media is only as liberal as the corporations that own them.

There is bias not just in the opinions given but also in the language used and even the “news” that’s reported on. There is plenty of evidence showing this throughout history. The last 50 years are no different than the last 500 or 5000 humans haven’t evolved significantly in that time. Why do you think “politically correct” speech codes developed in education since the 60s. Who controls the language controls thought (Newspeak?). You and others can choose not to see it and/or dismiss it as absurd but sticking ones head in the sand doesn’t make it go away.

Quote:

This has dumbed down the population imo.

Politically correct education coupled with “social promotion” has dumbed down the U.S. population. Citizens today don’t even have the most basic skills to spot bogus “facts” in “news” reports because of this. News doesn’t make people stupid being under/miss educated does.

Quote:

That's a very interesting and accurate insight there. But still, there needs to be a separation of "news" and "opinion". Everyone is entitled to their opinion but not their own version of the facts.

There can never be a separation of “news” and “opinion” which is why good historical authors explain their personal biases in the forwards of their books and why the cite verifiable primary sources in the text. Most new persons/organizations do neither.

Quote:

That's why we Americans need to wake up to who our real enemies are...

I'm talking about that evil, sleeping giant right on our border... CANADA!

When I say that I’m on the side with the biggest guns I’m referring not to foreign enemies but the domestic ones. I’m in the military so whether we become a Right wing or Left wing dictatorship I’d still be on the side with the biggest guns, the government. ;\)

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters