Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 705 of 917 1 2 703 704 705 706 707 916 917
Re: So what are ya listening to tonight?
Ken.C #355131 09/20/11 06:44 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Some Lightspeed Champion today. His first album. It had been a while. I still remember seeing him perform on Late Night and thinking his backing vocalist was really cute. Yeah, Emmy the Great.

CV #355134 09/20/11 08:08 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
This thread is supposed to be about stuff you LIKE. Sorry for my transgression.

Currently enjoying the effortless perfection of Karrin Allyson's voice.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #355147 09/20/11 11:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

Should we start one on "What are ya NOT listening to tonight?"

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #355148 09/21/11 12:28 AM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
Originally Posted By: Argon
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

Should we start one on "What are ya NOT listening to tonight?"

that reminds me of the guy a few years ago who asked me what i could do with a PC.
i think few people can answer that...

"...i can boot up my PC;
i can shut down my PC;
i can move the mouse to wherever i want to;
i can go on the Internet;
i can, i can, i can... repeat 100 000 000 times.

J. B. #355178 09/21/11 07:46 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I'm looking forward to Tori Amos's new album.

Quote:
From the Artist
In her own words: "I have used the structure of a classical song cycle to tell an ongoing, modern story. The protagonist is a woman who finds herself in the dying embers of a relationship. In the course of one night she goes through an initiation of sorts that leads her to reinvent herself, allowing the listener to follow her on a journey to explore complex musical and emotional subject matter. One of the main themes explored on this album is the hunter and the hunted and how both exist within us."
Product Description
Tori Amos marks her debut album for Deutsche Grammophon, the world's most celebrated classical music record label with Night of Hunters, set for release this September. The iconic, platinum-selling singer-songwriter continues her legacy of ground-breaking recordings with this 21st century song cycle inspired by select classical pieces spanning the last 400 years.
With Night of Hunters, Amos carries on the classical tradition of variations on a theme: taking inspiration from classical forms to create a bold new work while paying tribute to the mastery of the original compositions.

On Night of Hunters, which she wrote and produced, Amos comments "I have used the structure of a classical song cycle to tell an ongoing, modern story. The protagonist is a woman who finds herself in the dying embers of a relationship. In the course of one night she goes through an initiation of sorts that leads her to reinvent herself allowing the listener to follow her on a journey to explore complex musical and emotional subject matter." "One of the main themes explored on this album is the hunter and the hunted and how both exist within us," the singer explains.

Hopefully a project like this will rekindle my Tori love. I sincerely hope it's a gorgeous recording.

CV #355179 09/21/11 07:53 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I'll get my copy on Thursday. You can hear the whole album on NPR right now. Maybe she should release a strictly instrumental version for people who might want to get into her piano playing but who don't necessarily go for her voice.

CV #355183 09/21/11 11:37 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Thanks. My wife and I have all of her CDs so far, but we seem to be liking her new material less and less. I will try to listen to some clips before purchasing this time. I am curious to know your thoughts after you hear it.

davidsch #355272 09/22/11 02:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So....since I was involved in the partial derailment, I will contribute in the spirit of the thread. My wife and I were sitting on the couch and working out last minute wedding details for daughter number one. I was surfing channels to find some background noise and came across the opening live performance of the NY Philharmonic at the Lincoln center. The selection playing was intriguing enough that my wife actually commented on it. I pm'd John and he id'd the piece as "Dance of the Seven Veils" by Strauss.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
davidsch #355279 09/22/11 04:23 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Originally Posted By: davidsch
Thanks. My wife and I have all of her CDs so far, but we seem to be liking her new material less and less. I will try to listen to some clips before purchasing this time. I am curious to know your thoughts after you hear it.

It's been harder for me to get into her new stuff as well. I don't know if I even listened to Midwinter Graces all of the way through. I guess Amazon.com didn't actually ship my copy. They say they're still trying to get it in, so I don't know when I'll get it. I like what I heard on the NPR website, but I'll want to listen to an uncompressed version at higher volume before deciding on the recording quality.

CV #355280 09/22/11 04:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I just read a review of her new album and was intrigued enough to add it to my Amazon cart. I've got her first two albums, but that's about it. I think it's time to rediscover them.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Page 705 of 917 1 2 703 704 705 706 707 916 917

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020