Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Re: Ann Coulter
audiosavant #298932 03/28/10 09:24 AM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: audiosavant
I think a part of being a liberal means that you care about the least fortunate (even when you are prosperous) and believe that society is better off if those people have a little help when they need it. I choose to see the "better" in people. A lot of the current crop of "conservatives" see the worst in people and think that you should just pull yourself up by the bootstraps. But you have to have "boots" first to do that!

I'm on the fence with most of the politcal opinions in this topic (many of which seem to be giving Ann Coulter a good run for her money, LOL). I am however, a little confused with the above statement. Statistics on donations and support put "liberals" quite some distance behind "conservatives". Try do a little digging into "who gives more to charity liberals or conservatives" and let me know what you find. I would call myself an independant and enjoy researching both sides of the discussion here. So far, I'm discovering it more difficult finding evidence to support many of the liberal type comments although many of the "arguments" do come across as convincingly strong. Much like Coulter and her "right-wing" rhetoric.

Epic 50 - 500 System ( M50 / QS4 / VP100 / EP500 )
2x6spds #299035 03/28/10 07:17 PM
U
enthusiast
enthusiast
U

"Canada is a disgraceful cautionary example of political correctness on its way to leftist fascism."

The U.S does not have a good record for free speech either. Don’t believe me; just ask the Dixie Chicks, and all she said was that she was embarrassed that Bush was from Texas. [sic] I would be too! (I'd be embarrassed to be from Texas actually)
;\)

I don’t believe that all conservatives are terrible people; for that matter I know that not all liberals have good intent, but I never hear liberals talking about killing others based on opposing opinions, truly this is more of a right wing ideal.

Some people are like Slinky's, not much use however, when pushed down stairs, they make you smile.
Ukiah #299039 03/28/10 07:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Quote:

truly this is more of a right wing ideal.

Only if you choose to have a short time horizon. ;\)

History of Terrorism: Where Did Left Wing Terrorism Go?

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #299057 03/28/10 09:02 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Good point Dean. To me Violence fits hand in hand with ideologically driven movements. Once a group believes they have the absolute high moral ground the end justifies the means.

To tie this back to Coulter and her backer in Canada Levant, the very same Levant was quite opposed to allowing British MP George Galloway entry into Canada because of his views on the Middle East. The government Levant works for denied Mr. Galloway entry into Canada. Mr. Levant is on the record as stating that Mr. Galloway was not a Canadian and as such should not have the same rights of free speech here as Canadian citizens should. Yet now he insists that certain groups in Canada are intolerant to free speech when they show up to protest his foreign 'beacon' of free speech.

The same government has denied access to activists with differing views on more than one occasion.

To me, the reality is that Coulter is being used by our current government to discredit 'the left' as being intolerant when, by action it is the current government that is most guilty of muzzling free speech.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Ukiah #299065 03/28/10 09:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Ukiah

The U.S does not have a good record for free speech either.

If you take into consideration how free speech is curtailed in other countries, it's truly not even worth mentioning when referring to its limitations here or in the U.S.

If this was truly the case, anyone that has posted in this forum with antithetical views to the state, would be locked up for sedition.

I'm an anarchist, and the "crocodile tears" for freedom of anything in North America is unjustified. It's my opinion, that if there's any concern in a matter, it's better directed elsewhere.

-------------------

Against the state = Terrorist

Power structure propaganda.

There's a historical universal propaganda model that states use -

If we're doing it, its counter-terrorism. But if you're doing it, it's terrorism.

This was NAZI propaganda (an example of the most horrific crime), and has been adopted by the current leading terrorist states.

The U.S. and Britain currently use this model to justify the occupation of Afghanistan.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
fredk #299071 03/28/10 09:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: fredk

The government Levant works for denied Mr. Galloway entry into Canada. Mr. Levant is on the record as stating that Mr. Galloway was not a Canadian and as such should not have the same rights of free speech here as Canadian citizens should

That’s a very shortsighted political view (not to say U.S. doesn’t suffer the same in the area of immigration “reform”). A major reason England became such a strong economic power in her heyday (despite her small size) was that the English government tried to ensure a level playing field even for foreign companies doing business their. The English courts were seen as fair even to foreign competitors which made it a trade friendly environment. Nationalism scares investment away though not as much as instability does.

Sadly my experience dating back to the 1960s is that the lefties are just as quick to try and silence their opposition as the righties. As you said:

To me Violence fits hand in hand with ideologically driven movements. Once a group believes they have the absolute high moral ground the end justifies the means.

Unfortunately the true believers of any side don’t only think they aren’t doing anything wrong but are actually doing good. True believers make me sick be they political idealists or brand fanboys. Sadly human nature is difficult even for the “educated” to overcome.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
fredk #299075 03/28/10 09:38 PM
devotee
devotee
To me, the reality is that Coulter is being used by our current government to discredit 'the left' as being intolerant when, by action it is the current government that is most guilty of muzzling free speech.

It's funny. I realize I don't know much about the day too day machinations of Canadian politics.

And I'd like to consider myself more curious than the average American punter (USA!!! #1!!!) about politics outside my own borders.

Other than French Canadian concerns over independence and the fact that Trudeau got lots of poon back in the day, most of my knowledge (these days) of current political stuff comes from Da Vinci's Inquest (yes, I know it's fiction)! A fine show btw.

I just assume that most Canadians are pretty cool. High literacy rate. Decent universal healthcare. Relaxed attitude towards marijuana. Friendly people. Clean cities (I love Vancouver). Shitload of guns, yet violent crime is no where near what the US has to deal with, great speakers, etc.

Canada has one of the better reputations for a western country.

In fact, during George W. Bush's reign of (t)error, I would joke about traveling abroad: "If any body asks, we're Canadian!" Mainly because you guys don't piss off as many people as some of us "ugly Americans" do.

And btw, much appreciation for the service and sacrifice you have given from your military over the years. America has a great ally in Canada and can learn quite a lot on how to have a civil society in the 21st century from your example.

(cue O Canada and get me a brew, eh?)

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #299131 03/29/10 01:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
bigwill2 told us not just "No!" but "Hell, NO!"

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #299142 03/29/10 02:26 AM
devotee