Rate Thread
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
Re: Ann Coulter
grunt #299453 03/30/10 07:11 PM
R
veteran
veteran
R
It may be a false impression, but my opinion is that in the U.S. the vitriol around politics became noticeably greater beginning with the Clinton administration. And I don’t mean that the Clinton administration itself increased the rhetoric and nonsense, but the general discussion became more emotional and hateful.

Also, and I don’t know when this changed, but I also think the ability to get the actual news from newspapers decreased significantly in the not-too-distant past. I will readily admit that this may simply be the result of the fact that for the first time I probably disagree with the most basic underlying views of the editors and reporters of the newspapers I used to read, and thus I just recently noticed the fact that newspapers rarely report on political news without including some sort of bias. The primary between H. Clinton and Obama really gave me a new sympathy for long-running complaints by Republicans about media bias. I had to stop reading the Washington Post entirely, and never started again, because the coverage was so biased I couldn’t take it.

Finally, one day I am going to try to understand what phrases like “'politically correct' speech codes" mean. I imagine that is not a topic for this thread, but whenever someone uses the term "politically correct" I immediately think "hmm, I'm not going to agree with that person on too many things."

RayLewis #299476 03/30/10 07:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

Originally Posted By: RayLewis

Finally, one day I am going to try to understand what phrases like “'politically correct' speech codes" mean. I imagine that is not a topic for this thread, but whenever someone uses the term "politically correct" I immediately think "hmm, I'm not going to agree with that person on too many things."

There are various forms of “politically correct” depending on ones political viewpoint. What is often now referred to and what I was referring to is the “political correctness” that developed in Western academia to offset what was (I believe correctly) seen as a “Dead White European Male” bias in academics perpetuated by the language used. The intent was to introduce a more neutral language (gender, ethnic, cultural etc. . .) thus allowing for a more holistic approach to academics. In theory it could be a good idea, in practice to much of a good thing can often be bad IMO.

In many school this politically correct speech developed into “speech codes” which rather than broaden the scope of debate sought to limit it to only what the writers of the codes approved.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #299477 03/30/10 07:52 PM
fredk Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
If you want a good example of media manipulation, take a look at the life of a fellow by the name of Cecil Rhodes and his activities in South Africa. Media manipulation is not a recent invention. Rhodes would be proud of Fox.

Dean. The internet is an interesting thing. It allows anyone to publish anything. It also allows anyone, places like China excepted, to also research anything. I've been having a lot of fun pointing out embarrassing facts to 'would be' political pundits on another site, and there are others who are similarly arming themselves. Sadly, critical thinking is not something our mass education system has much concerned itself with once you step outside of those 'damned left wing ivory towers.'

Speaking of which. I find it amusing that some on the right condemn universities en mass, yet praise private enterprise, which in turn is populated by leaders educated at those very same left wing ivory towers. Propaganda at its finest!

We have a leader of the opposition who taught at Harvard and has been pegged by some as an elitist intellectual, yet that very same institution is where the business elite go to educate themselves and to network.

Like I said, critical thinking is not a widely used tool.

Originally Posted By: Deaner the Grunt
The last 50 years are no different than the last 500 or 5000 humans haven’t evolved significantly in that time.

Of course it has changed. We have WAY better sticks to beat each other about the head with and WAY more free time to consider who to beat upon next. Not to mention the beer is much better.

Originally Posted By: You know who
I’m in the military so whether we become a Right wing or Left wing dictatorship I’d still be on the side with the biggest guns, the government.

Its nice to have friends in the right places. ;\)

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters