Rate Thread
Page 5 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 28 29
Re: Talkin' Baseball
BlueJays1 #301113 04/09/10 06:41 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Well, it's cultural evolution of the game. Umpires have long been too lenient in granting batter requests for "Time", and now they can't seem to get the genie back into the bottle, or the batter back into the box.

From MLB Rules

Quote:
(EXCERPTED)

6.00—The Batter

Rule 6.02(b) Comment: The batter leaves the batter’s box at the risk of having a strike delivered and called, unless he requests the umpire to call “Time.” The batter is not at liberty to step in and out of the batter’s box at will.

Once a batter has taken his position in the batter’s box, he shall not be permitted to step out of the batter’s box in order to use the resin or the pine tar rag, unless there is a delay in the game action or, in the judgment of the umpires, weather conditions warrant an exception.

Umpires will not call “Time” at the request of the batter or any member of his team once the pitcher has started his windup or has come to a set position even though the batter claims “dust in his eyes,” “steamed glasses,” “didn’t get the sign” or for any other cause.

Umpires may grant a hitter’s request for “Time” once he is in the batter’s box, but the umpire should eliminate hitters walking out of the batter’s box without reason. If umpires are not lenient, batters will understand that they are in the batter’s box and they must remain there until the ball is pitched. See Rule 6.02(d).

8.00—The Pitcher

8.04 When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.”

The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.

The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

I'd like to see the umpires actually "do their jobs", but I don't think the players would like it much.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #301114 04/09/10 06:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Great post tomtuttle. Interesting stuff.

For any meaningful changes the league will have to get involved one way or another. As a start they can bring public awarness to the owners/gm's/players and by also holding umps more accountable. Another step if they are even more serious is changing some rules - but we all know how baseball likes "change". ;\)

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #301127 04/09/10 07:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Another thing you see too much of is pitchers 'holding' a guy at first....a throw once in a while?...fine....but 6-7 throws in a row?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #301145 04/09/10 10:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How bout' them Jays! Coming back late in games instead of giving up the lead. Another great start, hopefully it does not fall apart after a month.

I would contemplate using Frasor as the setup man in the 8th and closing with Gregg. I really like what I see from Gregg thus far.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #301146 04/09/10 10:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Don't forget how well they STARTED last year.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #301147 04/09/10 10:52 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I know he wasn't very good today, but I think you guys are going to like Brandon Morrow.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Adrian #301150 04/09/10 11:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Don't forget how well they STARTED last year.

Best team in baseball the first month and we all know how well that worked out ;\) . Not much excitement being a Jays fan so I have to get it when I can. \:\)

-Max Payne
tomtuttle #301152 04/09/10 11:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I know he wasn't very good today, but I think you guys are going to like Brandon Morrow.

I like him in our starting rotation.

-Max Payne
tomtuttle #301169 04/10/10 05:26 AM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

I too am glad to see him. Being in Ontario, I used to stay up late every once in a while to watch him pitch in Seattle on TV. Any starter that can touch 98/99mph is worth watching. I'll chalk that first inning up to nerves, he settled in alright after that. Pitchers take a while to develop, so he's got a large upside potential. We'll see.

Having said that, I miss League. I think he's got some mechanical issues, but when he's on he's lights out. Two years ago he mowed through the Yankees middle order, K'ing the side with a 97mph fastball with sick movement. He's also got the potential to be a Mariano type closer, if he can get his consistency under control.

Or maybe they'll both turn into Billy Koch. Who knows.

BlueJays1 #301193 04/10/10 06:41 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yeah, Doc; most sports are open to changes to improve their games, but baseball remains stuck in the 19th century in large part. Dig up Ned Hanlon and John McGraw, revivify them, slap on a uniform, set them in the dugout and they wouldn't miss a beat. For example, as minimal a change as having one "designated hitter" remains unacceptable to one of the leagues, while football got rid of the two-way player concept over 50 years ago. Even a modest step such as a 6-man batting order would probably send them into convulsions.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 5 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 28 29

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 354 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup