Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: BookShelf Speaker choice
#30114 01/08/04 07:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If your speakers are 6' high, and you're sitting while listening, all the sound is going right over your head (ears).

There are numerous things "wrong" with your setup, but that seems to stand out as the biggest one right now. You want to get those tweeters at ear level (while seated in your listening position) or as close as possible.

Yes, using a PS2 as your DVD/CD player could be improved upon.

What receiver are you using? This can make a difference, but even a really cheap old receiver shouldn't make everything sound dull. (Especially Axioms)

Finally, speaker break-in isn't going to change anything. Ian himself (Axioms designer) has been quoted as saying that after a couple hours, any "break-in" will be done. It is indeed usually your ears (mind) getting used to a new sound.

Try moving the speakers into a better position, and I think you'll be very happily surprised.

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out.

#30115 01/08/04 07:12 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm going to agree with sid about breakin; although I do recall some post where Ian said that there really was some amount of breakin, but only up to about 40 minutes of use. Beyond that, it is YOU changing, not the speaker.

Bub, I just think that is a really big room for those speakers, especially without a sub. And your placement sounds really problematic. Did you see how it sounds if you stand on a ladder? I don't think your receiver is the problem; HK makes good products.

Try fiddling with speaker placement - a lot. Don't put them inside an entertainment center if at all possible. Get them down so that they are firing level with listening position.

Based on the description you give, I can't help but think that the listening environment (especially the speaker placement) is a bigger problem than the electronics.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#30116 01/08/04 07:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Bub, it sounds like you have alot going on there. I can offer a couple of suggestions or point out some issues as i'm sure some others will as well.

1) Your speakers are situated rather high above the average height of your ears when seated in a couch. There will be a definite 'dull' sound if the tweeters are firing too high above your ears. See if you can't put them on some chairs with some books underneath just for experimentation purposes.
Try the different heights with the M3s and see what this does to the sound. Same thing goes for the centre vp100, but you could also try to wedge a magazine or two underneath its backside atop your TV to get it angled downward more to your ear/head area.

2) Yes, the room acoustics make a huge difference. Yours is not overly large but the vaulted ceilings would probably tend to take some volume away from the overall sound. Setting up a nice little 12x12 area where your HT is located might help to 'contain' the sound somewhat. Ultimately if the room volume is just too much and you feel the sound is still too weak even when 'cranked up', you may have to move to a larger speaker. Again this is dependant on your expectation of how much you want this system to completely fill that room with sound.

3) I definitely recommend a dvd or cd player (other than a ps2) as your source for testing out all the sound. The quality should be far superior to that of the Direct TV (depending on the source) but it will also be most consistent in what you can listen to for repeated sound tests.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#30117 01/08/04 07:58 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

What does a person need to do to "break in" these speakers?

The first thing to do is to ignore the posts about long "break in". Then after you get your speakers properly placed, turn on the music, sit back, relax, and let your mind go free.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#30118 01/08/04 08:21 PM
Bub Offline
frequent flier
frequent flier
thanks again all. and i know it was just a quick midnight "hurry up get 'em firing" situation with horrible placement etc., and i hope that was clear on my post.
i did shim the speakers to face towards my seating position.
i'm looking forward to playing with them this weekend, but i'm seriously considering, as suggested by many of the listers, stepping up to the m22's and investing in a quality sub, though it will inevitably just lead, i think, to more headaches trying to find a good spot in my challenging room.
...not to mention convincing the wife into spending more $ and getting larger speakers.

I'll update.

#30119 01/08/04 08:35 PM
shareholder in the making
If you are successful in convincing your wife to divert more money towards audio, please share your methods!

#30120 01/08/04 08:51 PM
Bub Offline
frequent flier
frequent flier
deal.

#30121 01/08/04 09:18 PM
Oh, god yes ple---oh wait. My wife just said that she'd put in money towards my speaker purchase! I love her. :-)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#30122 01/08/04 09:24 PM
how does one make a gagging emoticon?

8-# ?

#30123 01/08/04 09:25 PM
You're just jealous.

Of course, I'll have to remember that one so I can use it on some of your posts.

How about this one? X-P

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters