State of Paranoia
#30198 01/08/04 09:38 PM
R
rdwarn Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
R
I purchased my first pair of Axiom speakers (M60's) just this past Christmas. I have been loving life ever since. This was my first step into "hi fi" and it was a pleasant one. Anyway, since my purchase I have been extremely paranoid about damaging my M60's. I listen to various types of music at what are probably very high decibals. Some of the music I listen to has some pretty hefty bass to it. I own a Sony DE-545 100Watt reciever (the reciever and a sub will be my next two upgrades). Unfortunately this particular reciever does not tell me what decibals I am listening at...it only has an integer scale of 1 - 30.
I many times listen in the 22 - 27 range. I know the M60's are rated at 250 watts but is there anything else I should watch out for (besides clipping) that could potential damage my speakers?

Re: State of Paranoia
#30199 01/08/04 09:44 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
If you ever rattling or distortion coming from your speakers, I'd be worried. Other than that, I'd just be worried about your ears.

Receivers can't tell at what dB level they are playing (without calibrating the dB level to match your speakers) because the loundess is dependent upon the sensitivity of the speaker. If you want to really know, you should get an SPL meter from Radio Shack.

#30200 01/08/04 09:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I would also add, set yourself an upper limit on the volume knob and NEVER go past it. You mention the scale goes from 0-30. I would select say 25 and never push the volume past that point.
As you push a receiver/amp near that 90% and beyond mark, you are approaching its near max capability. Do not risk distortion due to the limits of the amp.
The volume it plays at 25 on your receiver is irrelevant. If you want more volume, get a more powerful amp/receiver. Even then, if the amp will outpower the speaker, you will get some maximum excursion noises instead if you crank up the volume too far (e.g. the speaker driver hitting the point at which it physically travels no further).
Again, this point would be damaging as well, but more physically as opposed to electrically.

If after all that you still want more volume, break out the piggy bank and buy a bigger set of speakers (or add more to the system).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#30201 01/08/04 10:22 PM
aficionado
aficionado
the other thing to ask is if the extra 5 (say from 20 to 25) really gives you any additional volume? Conspiracy theorists (and I'm not sure I completely disagree) believe that manufacturers purposely tweak their machines so the most volume gain occurs in the first 1/2 of the volume range of the machine. So then, for example, someone walks into an audio store and is looking at receivers. They crank the volume up to halfway and it's extremely loud. They immediately think that going the other half would make it twice as loud, when in actuality, there's very little gain there. They're impressed with all the power, and buy the receiver. It's possible that 80% of your volume gain occurs in the first 50% of your recievers volume setting.

"Chickens don't clap."
#30202 01/08/04 10:33 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
If you have a SPL meter (RatShack sells a nice one) you can measure the upper level that you like listen at. Do this by playing some music at what you think is the highest level that you like to listen at. Then without touching the volume dial, put on a test disc with some pink noise or a 1khz tone to determine the db level. You would then make note of where your volume dial is on the reciever.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#30203 01/08/04 10:47 PM
R
rdwarn Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
R
I would definitly buy into the idea that manufacturer's rig their recievers so that most of the volume gain is in the first 50% of the volume control. However, I can definite noticable difference between then say 22 and 25 on my reciever. Is it a big a difference as 12 and 15...probably not. I guess my biggest concern was whether or not I could accidently damage my speakers with my current 100W reciever besides clipping.
I guess what really brought this on was a DVD I was listening to a few nights ago. I was listening to Rodger Waters Live in the Flesh and on a certain part of "Another Brick in the Wall(II)" I could hear a couple crackles coming from my left speaker. It only occured in one part of the song and when I went back and replayed it, it crackled in the same spot. More then likely it's the DVD. I then popped in a CD that has considerably more bass and listened at a comparable volume and it was smooth as silk.
Anyway, this just started making me paranoid that I might be damaging my speakers but more then likely is a crackle on the DVD and I have nothing to worry about.

#30204 01/08/04 10:48 PM
old hand
old hand
The M60 is rated at 93dB with 1 watt, so 20 watts would give you 106 dB, with plenty of dynamic headroon and negligible distortion. No problem at all for your speakers. However, if you frequently listen at those levels for sustained periods, which I doubt you are, you will suffer hearing damage.

#30205 01/08/04 10:53 PM
aficionado
aficionado
if your really worried about damaging your speakers,and you like to crank it up then consider seperates as a future upgrade and use a amp that has peak power lights on it so you know when your reserve power is exaustd then you can cut back the volume a little to a point when the lights no longer blink to avoid damaging your speakers ...ron

#30206 01/08/04 11:01 PM
R
rdwarn Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
R
How much $$ would I have to drop for a decent pair of seperates? I assume a seperates are one amp per speaker?

#30207 01/08/04 11:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Are you looking for separates for 2 channel or 5 channel?

The best part about separates is that amps tend to live nearly forever, so buying used is generally very safe, and can save you some serious coin.

You can find really good used 2 channel amps for under $400. Then you'd need a good preamp or processor. Rotel is a good brand to look into if you're looking for some bang for the buck deals in the separate market.

Audiogon is a used buyers paradise.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020