Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Rear ports of M60
alan #312297 06/28/10 01:30 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted By: alan
Edmond,

Be very careful about not overloading the input section of your power amplifier -- a 9-volt preamp output could easily overload the input section of many power amplifiers. It could well be the source of some of the distortion you are hearing.

There is a reason that the pre-out levels (which do vary somewhat from one receiver manufacturer to another) are kept to a couple of volts, because most power amplifiers are spec'd to be driven to full output by a few volts. Check with Emotiva to see what input voltage your power amp can handle before the input stage starts going into distortion.

Does your Emotiva power amp have input level controls that would let you "tame" the input level from the preamp?

Regards,
Alan

The amp and preamp are both emotiva and built to go together as a pair. I'm not really hearing any distortion it's just the high end is very fatiguing on some music, some call it bright or harsh.

I'll look at the documentation for the amp but I don't believe it has input level controls.

"Real Gun Control Is Hitting What You Aim At" - can't remember
edmondwolfman #312311 06/28/10 03:52 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
The brightness/harshness is most often minor distortion caused by the electronics being overdriven and mistakenly blamed on the speaker.

Last edited by jakewash; 06/28/10 04:07 PM. Reason: added overdriven part

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #312313 06/28/10 03:58 PM
Or it could be that you just don't really like Axioms...

I think the brightness is more likely the source material than the electronics, myself, but it could also be that Edmond just doesn't like the Axiom sound. It happens...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
jakewash #312319 06/28/10 04:22 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted By: jakewash
The brightness/harshness is most often minor distortion caused by the electronics and mistakenly blamed on the speaker.

I have an emotiva ERM 6.3 that I use as a center. It is a 3 way design but only 26 inches tall so can be used as a (tall) standmount as well as center. Since I was having trouble with the brightness on some music I connected the ERM 6.3 as the left speaker and the M60 as right speaker, put the preamp on mono so the same sound would come out of both and cranked it. The erm 6.3 just doesn't have the same brightness. Now the 6.3 has compensation switches on the back but I've set them for the "brightest" setting (not engaged) to ensure I wasn't hearing a speaker that was attentuating the highs. I was really hoping to be able to "tame" the brightness that occurs on some music because a lot of my music sounds great on the M60s. One of the differences in the 2 speakers is the tweeter on the 6.3 is a silk dome as opposed to titanium tweeters on the axioms. I've started obtaining high res music now (96kHz/24 bit) and am starting to get quite a few titles. Those are master studio quality, much better than CD redbook (44.1kHz/16 bit) so my hope was to be able to listen to them without having to process/filter anything out.

Ken.C #312320 06/28/10 04:30 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Or it could be that you just don't really like Axioms...

I think the brightness is more likely the source material than the electronics, myself, but it could also be that Edmond just doesn't like the Axiom sound. It happens...

laugh When those highs come out of those titanium tweets my old ears just might not be able to process properly. A lot of concerts in the 70s that were just too loud grin After a particular Grand Funk concert I couldn't hear for a couple of days.

On a lot of my music my M60s sound outstanding it's just that the ones that don't send me running for the volume control.

About 30 minutes ago I grabbed a couple of shop towels from the garage, the blue ones that seem like more cloth than paper. I trifolded them and taped directly over the tweeters and the brightness was significantly controlled. They don't sound muffled at all, that extra high shimmer that hurts my ears seems to be gone cool

edmondwolfman #312321 06/28/10 04:32 PM
BTW, it's not the titanium--silk tweeters can often be brighter than titanium, since they're not as stiff and are harder to control. It's that Axiom designs speakers to have flat frequency curves. Many other speaker manufacturers roll off the high end. Some people prefer that.

Ken.C #312331 06/28/10 04:59 PM
J
J
A veil has been installed and the highs have been tamed like no other speaker wink

Having done that test I agree with Ken's explanation, sounds like you are just sensitive to high frequencies and the real issue is the source, bad recordings. I think we all have a few cd's that are hard to take and do not play as often as the well recorded music.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Ken.C #312332 06/28/10 05:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm having similar problems with my on-wall M22's as edmond is experiencing with his M60's, although I've got furniture and a carpet. I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH avr and it has an option I just thought of that I haven't tried out yet. In the MCACC menu it's called X-Curve. It allows you to tone down the high end frequencies. (The + or - for Treble seems to only work while in stereo mode).

Here's what the manual says about X-curve:
"Most soundtracks mixed for cinema sound too bright when played back in large rooms. The X-Curve setting acts as a kind of re-equalization for home theater listening, and restores proper tonal balance of movie soundtracks."

I watched the movie "The New World" yesterday with the volume turned up a bit and the high end was making it a little uncomfortable to listen to.

jakewash #312341 06/28/10 05:39 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted By: jakewash
A veil has been installed and the highs have been tamed like no other speaker wink

Having done that test I agree with Ken's explanation, sounds like you are just sensitive to high frequencies and the real issue is the source, bad recordings. I think we all have a few cd's that are hard to take and do not play as often as the well recorded music.

Actually I'm playing some high resolution 96kHz/24bit music. I don't think its the quality I think it's just the highs. A high pitched instrument or a high pitched female voice is what gets to me, especially when the volume is turned up.

grin I like jake's insight but isn't it supposed to be the other way around i.e. "it's like a veil has been removed and I hear sounds that I've never heard before" laugh

edmondwolfman #312343 06/28/10 05:40 PM
It's the mastering, not the quality of your FLACs. Not a whole lot you can do about that, unless you have a great deal of pull with the band and/or label.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters