Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: budget receiver ,,
jakewash #314242 07/12/10 10:38 AM
L
regular
OP Offline
regular
L
as my computer room , and said ,, audio room is 2 different rooms , i can't connect the 2 together .
i was thinking like a ipod thingy.
even one that plays video's .
cause now that im gone this far , i may consider a flat screen tv , to go with that reciever and speakers .
if i got an ipod thingy , that you could load videos on , could i play that , on the receiver and flatscreen?
besises the apple ipods touch ,, nano, classic ,,, what else is ,, out there ?
those rigs seem a weee bit expensive .
i reviewd the '' archo. same princpal , but a bit cheaper .
you taughts??
man , im learning lots here , and again , i apprecitae the replys .
the question ,,
will an ipod thingy player , play videos on that receiver and flat screen?
cheers again , for the reply's .

littlejohn #314430 07/13/10 06:03 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Yes, what you are considering is possible and an iPod should work without problems. Microsoft's Zune has had some good reviews and for just music I know of one forum member that is running an Olive player and it works very well for him.

http://www.olive.us/products.html

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #314441 07/13/10 08:51 AM
L
regular
OP Offline
regular
L
wow , the olive looks awesome . but the price is kind of out of reach , at present .maybe id consider it , if i did'nt have to buy the receiver and speakers . maybe a future purchase .
the zune is more my speed .
i noticed that you live in canada .
i lives in newfoundland , canada . not a big choice of stores here .
i mostly shop online .
where do you buy your stereo gear?
would you happen to have a link?
if im reading things right , am i right in thinking that i could hook up a dock , to the receiver , and leave the mp3 player in it ?
theres so many mp3 players out there , its not easy to choose .
is anyone fimular with the western digital ''live player'' .

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?s...mp;promoid=1034

again , thanks for all the help here .
CHEERS .

littlejohn #314456 07/13/10 11:55 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Whoohoo! Another Maritimer!!!! Well, Atlantic anyways. I always get corrected by the Newfoundlanders if I say "The Maritimes", when referring to all four Atlantic provinces.

You can absolutely hook an iPOD or any other MP3 player to your receiver if it supports a cradle or a direct USB connection. Worst case, you can simply use the output of your MP3 player plugged into one of the Analog In jacks on your receiver.

Some receivers are built to actually control the iPod from the receiver including with it's remote remote control. However, they don't always allow control over other types of MP3 players. In those cases, you have to use the MP3 player itself to change songs and such.

Some receivers will allow wireless streaming from a PC, as mentioned above. If you had one and a wireless router, it wouldn't matter if your PC was in another room and then there are lots of solutions to control the music on your PC wirelessly as well.

What I do, is I have a product called a "Squeezebox." It's basically a device that you put beside your receiver and it picks up the music from your PC either via your wireless LAN or through good 'old fashioned' Ethernet cable. You can control everything music wise from it and it does other things like Internet Radio as well, which I enjoy. Mine is an older model that came with a basic LCD screen and an IR remote (gotta stare across the room to read the screen and point it) but the newer ones come with RF remotes and color screens built right into the remote itself. That way you can be sitting out on your deck and use the remote without getting up and spilling your beer. Right now, I'm using an app on my iPod touch to do the above. Works great. Saved me from upgrading.

Edit: if it matters...
The other advantage of the Squeezebox is that it sends the music digitally through your network as opposed to applying a 'streaming' protocol. That means if you ripped your music to your PC in lossless format, it stays that way all the way to your receiver. That may or not be a big thing for you.

Last edited by Murph; 07/13/10 11:59 AM. Reason: final thought

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #314696 07/14/10 06:04 PM
L
regular
OP Offline
regular
L
cheers for the reply murph buddy .
that squeeze box seems like ,, ''the cats meow'' .
but pricy .
i may consider it , down the road thouygh .
hows about this one , as a starter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6E-lXB0Ps

i can get it , for $129.00 canadian . fair price?
seems like a fair rig ,, for a starter .
man , there's so much out there .
to get the ,, right thing ,, ill need another , budget . lol .
anyways , cheers again for the replies .
your taughts on the ''ainol''.?
cheers .

littlejohn #314744 07/14/10 09:57 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have a Roku Soundbridge which is a cheaper option than the Squeezebox if you want to just stream mp3s from your network. I also have a Western Digital Media Player. You basically hook up a USB hard drive to it with all your music and movie files so you can enjoy them with your home theater setup. With the Live versions of the media player, you can connect to your network, but through ethernet only...no wireless capability like the Roku or the Squeezebox. If you don't care about movies, then I'd definitely stick with some sort of network music player. They are faster to navigate, IMO. You can also get something like this . You must play the music from your pc, but at least you can enjoy hearing it through your nice system. I've got something similar to that for my bedroom system. Can you tell I like gadgets? grin Anyhow, I hope that gives you a few more ideas.

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
littlejohn #314750 07/14/10 10:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: littlejohn

if i got an ipod thingy , that you could load videos on , could i play that , on the receiver and flatscreen?
besises the apple ipods touch ,, nano, classic ,,, what else is ,, out there ?

Hi Littlejohn,
As has already been mentioned for purely music streaming there are several solutions such as the Logitech Squeezebox, Roku, Sonos or Airport from Apple.

Another great way to do this on the cheaper side is to buy a NAS (Network Attached Storage) that has built in media server coupled with your wireless router. One suggestion (and the one I use) is the D-Link DNS-323. The box itself is not too expensive at ~$120, but then you just need to add hard drives to the size/price point you need.

I use this NAS box to serve video wireless to my PS3. It has a built in iTunes server and UPnP server. There are better ones out there - it's a matter of price and performance. It also serves music to non-iTunes clients through the UPnP server, but I am lucky enough to have a Sonos system for the music side. I agree with Sonicfox that the dedicated network music players are much snappier in response. Hope that helps some.

Cheers!

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
cb919 #314769 07/15/10 12:19 AM
devotee
devotee
I am just using my ps3 as a network media player source. As has being mentioned on my other post about HD, I just managed to format a 1.5 terabyte and have been using it since then. As for Ipod dock I just realized I won't need to buy one for my Denon since I already own one that can be hooked up to the receiver.

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters