Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Corner Bass Traps
majik #325647 10/15/10 02:10 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Maj, yes, as you see, the Tube Trap outfit which Chris supplied a link to offers finished products effective at the very low frequencies which are generally the most difficult problem in a typically furnished room at home. As you also see, however, a complete set can run several thousand dollars.

It should be pointed out that one example of a "mechanically resonant" absorber is already present in many listening rooms: a relatively flexible wall surface. Typical drywall construction is sufficiently flexible(in comparison with plaster, etc., walls)that it absorbs significant sound energy at very low frequencies with the result that the room is less "boomy". Though not especially efficient, the large amount of surface area involved allows for an audibly significant effect.

The comment that electronic equalization may be more practical(including the financial aspect)at these very low frequencies still stands, and the use of a built-in equalizer such as Audyssey MultEQ, or a separate unit such as Fred and Dean, among others, have used, can be helpful. The fact is that all our listening rooms(not just Mark Johnson's)suck.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Re: Corner Bass Traps
JohnK #325668 10/15/10 06:47 AM
M
majik Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
M
Yeah, that's a little too pricey for me... But I'd love to be able to try it out somewhere; in any case it looks cool - it gives a room a unique look.

So for now I'll stick with the DIY'ers. I read somewhere (sorry, I can't locate the website) that I need to do something about "catching" the fibreglass? I'm not positive, but it seemed the tutorial was saying the fibreglass will come loose with the vibration and such - is this correct? Can someone shed some light on this for me? Or am I completely in left field?

- Majik

Epic 80 system
Ep 800
Denon 3808
Optoma HD20
PS3
vp180
extra QS8s (to come soon)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic