Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About
#325662 10/15/10 05:50 AM
C
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
C
Hello Forum Fellows: Stirred on to buy Axioms before the price increase, I decided to buy M60v3's through the FO before that option became unavailable. I received them today and in an instant hooked them up (very easy).

I had read on this forum that Axiom speakers, for some, could be disappointing at first until one's ear acclimated to them and over time their appreciation of the speaker quality increased...apparently due to its accurate and neutral qualities. So while I was waiting for them to be delivered for the past three weeks I wondered whether or not my ear was sophisticated enough to appreciate them right off. And having been a classical musician with conservatory training and professional experience,I was concerned whether or not I would be satisfied.

Well both those questions were answered within five minutes and it was...yes! In comparison to my older speakers, I could sense an immediate increase in stage presence, an overall smoothness in timbre and a surprising increase in the quality of my subwoofer's performance, which I assume is the result of the excellent Axiom woofers tight and accurate reproduction of the mid-bass frequencies.

Well, the other surprise I am now experiencing is...I want more of what I "got." Wondering what M80's would sound like and wanting to upgrade after less than one half-an-hour of listening seems at first to be impetuous. But now I know what members have been writing about for the last couple of years since I have been frequenting this forum. So I don't think I'm off in wanting more right now. These speakers are smaller than I imagined so M80's could easily be accommodated in my bedroom (2000 cu ft). So, I have some questions for you....

I listen at very moderate levels but occasionally I will turn up the volume to reference levels. My understanding is that M80's perform better at lower levels (and at all levels) than do the M60's. That is an attractive reality to me. In your subjective opinion, for those of you who have compared the two, is the better low volume quality in the M80's, money aside, worth the upgrade?

I have an older late 1980's Denon stereo receiver and it runs about 45 watts per channel....I also am now using an older 1990's Technics receiver at about 55 watts which has served me well...would either of these receivers work to run M80's without problems? I do plan to upgrade...I am presently investigating the Denon AVR 2310 or 2311...but purchasing it will be sometime in the future.

OK, its been about two hours now and for the past 1.5 hours I've been watching (or rather listening to) a movie on TV (K-19 The Widowmaker) through the Axioms, and it is a truly remarkable experience...overwhelming. I have also listened to some Delibes (Coppelia)and Shostakovich (Symphony #5) and I am looking forward to hearing more delicacies and expanding my musical horizons with Axioms as my guide.
[i][/i]

Re: M60v3...Thoughts On and Questions About
Captain4105 #325666 10/15/10 06:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome and congratulations captain. I'm glad you are liking your new M60s.

Not sure what to say about upgrading. I compared the v2 M60 and M80 and there is a definite difference, but it is not huge. Unfortunately I didn't do any low volume listening during the comparison. They both sounded so good at higher volumes. grin

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Captain4105 #325667 10/15/10 06:45 AM
shareholder in the making
Very good, Lee; not a bit surprising to me that you had no "break-in" period with your M60s. When I got my M22s I immediately fired up Mehta's performance of The Planets and was instantly thrilled by the sound. Now, about 8 1/2 years and maybe 25,000 hours of almost entirely classical listening later, still no break-in.

If for purposes of discussion it was assumed that the M80s were in fact audibly better, it seems to me that this would apply at all sound levels. Neither theory nor my personal experience(not with M60s/M80s)indicates that one of two fairly similar speakers using the same drivers would somehow have a more decided edge at lower volume levels.

Either of those receivers should supply enough volume, maybe just over 100dB on peaks, for fully-enjoyable listening.

Nice choices for music. My favorite Coppelia which I have is the Bonynge, which brings to mind the passing of Joan Sutherland a couple days ago. My favorite Shostakovich 5ths are the Jarvi and Previn. Listening to the KUSC stream at the moment.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #325669 10/15/10 07:45 AM
C
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
C
Thanks John...I'll put one of my recordings of the Planets with Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony, an outstanding recording, on for comparison. Yes I read that Sutherland had died and she has left a great legacy for us to appreciate. I've been eying her La Sonnambula for a couple of years but haven't decided which of her two recording's to purchase...Callas' recording is also a possibility.

While I have your attention I was thinking about the M22's w/sub which I know you have advocated...one thing I noticed after my initial post and further listening (this time Beethoven's 7th) was to me a somewhat muffled or less assertive upper mid-range in the M60. My older system which is a satellite + sub system had a wonderful full and open upper mid and high range which I miss in the M60...but it may be too early for me to accurately judge and my expectations need to be tempered to be fair.

I'm thinking that rather than upgrading to M80's which may be better balanced in terms of overall reproduction, that M22's may satisfy my desire to replicate what I am used to in terms of a brighter upper mid-range sound at those frequencies since it has dual 5.25" mid-range woofers and would be a less expensive option. When I first inquired two years ago, Alan responded with this suggestion. I really enjoy my sub's performance to a much higher degree now with the M60's and wonder if M22's would compliment and bring out those same qualities in my sub in the same way? What think ye?

Captain4105 #325670 10/15/10 09:27 AM
Again, I have to emphasize that I've not heard the M60 or M80, but the M22s plus a good sub give me all that I want in musical enjoyment. The all-important mid-range in particular is outstanding for clarity, and as you note, it has two of the 5 1/4" drivers, while the M60 uses one there.

Yes, the Dutoit is one of the six versions of The Planets that I own, and it's excellent, but the Mehta(L.A. Phil)is my overall favorite and in second place I'd probably put Levi.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #325687 10/15/10 04:19 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Quite frankly, I have always been one that has a total disregard for the "myth" of a so-called speaker "break-in" period. Good speakers are good speakers and they will sound good right from the beginning. Prior to the end of the trade-in program I traded in a pair of V2 M60s for a pair of Vasallo series V3 M80s and quite frankly, I was surprised at how similar they sounded to one another. Although I couldn't do the comparison head to head, to my ears anyway, there were far more similarities in sound between the two models then differences.

I would add, however, having M22s as well, I always felt that at higher volumes and even with a sub, the M60s handled the mid/low bass range a little better with a little less strain compared to the M22s.

Either way, you will be more than satisfied.

casey01 #325700 10/15/10 05:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I got a chance to compare both side by side and although they sound very similar, I found the M80s to have a bit more detail on the upper mid range and significantly more bass. Both are excellent speakers.

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."
bdpf #325703 10/15/10 06:34 PM
P
local
local
P
M80 will definitely have better bass output. I think you better to keep your exelent M60 who actually are 8ohm speaker vs 4ohm from the M80. Yes your actual gear could drive both pretty well but M80 require a little bit more power to give you best result. So like i said, before spending extra buck to upgrade from the M60 to M80, get some new amplification. wink
GL

Nad C356 DAC & C515
Axiom M3v3
Grant Fidelity RPF-120 MKII
Analysis Plus Black Oval 12&10
JRiver 19
Philippe #325708 10/15/10 07:30 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I think Philippe makes an excellent point; unless you update your vintage amplification, you may not reap benefits from "upgrading" to the M80's.

I own the M60's and have heard M80's but not in the same room. My impression is that it is pretty difficult (or impossible) to distinguish between the two until you start to play them relatively loud.

On balance, I think the floorstanders just sound a bit "fuller" than the bookshelf models.

What subwoofer are you using or considering in conjunction with the M22's?

Since Larry hasn't chimed in yet, I will unabashedly encourage you to keep the M60's wink Perhaps experiment a bit with placement if you have not done so already.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #325714 10/15/10 08:39 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Tom,

If I'm not mistaken, you have the M60tis, right? I have these too. Since you've heard the M80s, has the thought ever entered your mind to move up to the M80s, especially now that they have been upgraded t0 V3s...or are you completely satisfied with what you've got? It's just that I've thought about upgrading to the M80s for a long time, but I'm wondering if it really would be worth it.

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics