Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Tweak, stupid or not.
#32891 02/06/04 05:47 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
With Axiom being a internet sells company, what proof did anyone purchasing there speakers have that they performed as said? All I can say is that people who live life on proof only is truly missing out. Lets kill this thread, and I'm sorry to have started it!

"One needs to crawl thru the darkness to stand in the light"
#32892 02/06/04 05:53 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Aw, come on. We're just starting to have fun.

The proof that the Axioms perform as said is that they're still in my living room. Yes, there was risk involved in purchasing before hearing, but I tested them and they exceeded my expectation. That's my proof.

#32893 02/06/04 08:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
PMB, are you sure it's not the placebo effect? I'm kidding, of course. I love my Axioms, because they reproduce music and movies so beautifully. However, if someone says that damping a component has an audibly beneficial effect, folks accuse the reporter of "misleading," or suffering from the "placebo effect."

Although Bren may think it's a matter of the "Emporer's new clothes," and cause Chesseroo to giggle, what I'm saying is that folks who discount reports of improved sound due to cabling or tweaks based on their profound understanding of the science of it all, may not have a sufficiently deep understanding of the science involved to justify their opinions ... opinions based not on experience - it is those who report and attribute some audible change to the tweak who are reporting from experience, but rather opinions based on the critics' self-proclaimed understanding of theory.

For those who rely on Dr. Toole's double blind tests regarding cabling from some years ago, I don't doubt his results with the systems and cabling tested. I'd hesitate before extrapolating from his results. But then again, I don't claim to know it all or mock folks who disagree with me.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#32894 02/06/04 09:37 PM
aficionado
aficionado
bren, then you would follow the logic i used when naming our warehouse cats. we had two; one black and the other gray. it was easy. the black one was named blackie, and since the other was not black, it was named whitey. others thought i was crazy for that, but with our rational, legitimate(sp).
dan

#32895 02/06/04 10:02 PM
aficionado
aficionado
that's funny Dan, I had a pure black cat and I named him "whitey" - just to make people ask the stupid question.

"Chickens don't clap."
#32896 02/06/04 10:42 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

However, if someone says that damping a component has an audibly beneficial effect, folks accuse the reporter of "misleading," or suffering from the "placebo effect."

Again, we're not talking damping, you've adjusted the topic from something obscure to something tangible. I have no problems with someone resting a CD player on some silicone breast implants if they want to place it on top of a sub, it will probably help reduce jitter errors - precisely aligned (well, compared to a phonograph) moving parts will benefit from being vibration free.

Going back to your original message... we're talking some rubber mat stuck to the inside of a chassis to "isolate your solid state components from vibrations, i.e., from kinetic energy" (your quote) some matting stuck to the top of a chassis still allows all these vibrations (even if I GIVE you that they are harmful to your audio) to enter from below, around, through the front panel, etc.

You also mention a Helmholtz resonator, which can affect tube amps to a noticeable degree - I will give you that, but does it have a noticeable effect on s/s electronics? I'll say no... tubes work off the mechanical properties of grids and plates, if you shake a tube, it changes the sound (kick a tube bass-guitar cabinet head someday and you'll think you invented the electric slinky) pick up and shake a s/s amp head, nothing. Or at least if anything does happen, it's academic... I'm sure an electron or two might go spinning wildly out of control, but if every electron is sacred, I'd be running superconductors for interconnects.

And I sincerely hope you weren't refering to the subatomic vibrations inherant in any components under power, but I'll assume for my own sanity that you weren't.

Bren R.

#32897 02/07/04 02:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Actually, it's not my topic, although I just haven't had the chance yet to pick up some dynamat for the inside cover of an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CDP. I don't know whether it will help or not, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'll let you know how it works out.

#32898 02/07/04 05:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
My new Odyssey Stratos amp has some sort of matting stuck/glued to the inside of the top cover. Not sure why, but it sounds like what you guys are talking about. How much vibrating could an amp do anyway?

Dunno...I don't even begin to suggest I understand such things. I just like sweet sounding music.

#32899 02/08/04 04:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I didn't buy Shakti Stones, really !! However, I did go to our local marine salvage outfitter and found a couple of brass driveshafts - big and really big. Got to thinking and had them cut some slices for me. Shined them up, put some felt on either end so they wouldn't scratch anything and put them on different components.

Here are some small ones - I can confidently report that no matter which component I put them on, I could detect no audible difference. However, I think they look very cool

Here are the big boys before I put the felt on:

#32900 02/08/04 05:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The finish on those Michicauras (sp?) looks pretty damn good. I'd get get them paperweights off so everyone could check out my wood!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters