Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Blu Ray and CRT
Lampshade #330688 12/08/10 03:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Also: Even if picture quality did not improve...
Blu Ray sound is great and the ability to see the menu while the movie is playing would make it worth it.

M3 and
M80
Tim #330689 12/08/10 03:48 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: Tim
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has hooked up a Blu Ray player to an older CRT television? I was thinking of getting a Blu Ray player and hooking it up to my Pioneer Pro-530hd CRT projection television. Do you think that there would be any improvement in picture quality over my Pioneer Elite DV-45a dvd player using standard dvd's? What about Blu Ray discs? The television has component inputs, no hdmi.

Thank You,
Tim

Since you have an RPCRT/1080i with only component video inputs there is a couple of pieces of equipment out there available that you can purchase and they do work very well. They are essentially digital to analog converters that will allow you to use the full video processing capabilities of your player via the HDMI output including upscaling of standard DVDs which is a feature not available through component video. Also, the advanced video processing of BR players like the ABT processing in the Oppo player and in many other players is also only available through the HDMI connection. In this respect, I would disagree with the idea that the component out of BR even with a 1080i set is just as good as HDMI and the use of either one of these converters will verify that.

For further information, I would suggest you look at the following websites: "Moomecard.com" and "HDFury.com".
I personally, have the "Moome" converter which allows me to use the HDMI connection out of my Oppo BR player with all its benefits and it converts it in to component and 1080i in my set.

I must admit just recently there has been an issue with the questionable legality of resellers in NA(i.e. CurtPalme.com and Monoprice) selling these pieces because of the issue of HDCP but since these are manufactured in Taiwan, where they were ordered and shipped from any way, one can order direct through either website and it won't be an issue.

The problem is and it is still a little ridiculously touchy for some, however, realistically because these pieces are primarily designed for "legacy" equipment(FP and RP CRTs) this is now a very tiny market and shrinking by the day. It just allows those that still have perfectly working sets to extend their life and get the use out of source equipment that has only HDMI connections.

Adrian #330716 12/08/10 02:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Jay, that's kind of what I was thinking...maybe they'll(finally) get motivated and buy an HD. If they don't though....

...hope this is relative to Tim's original post, not meaning to hijack(not this time anyway).

OK, I was being too practical and not catching on to the real motive! blush

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
cb919 #330720 12/08/10 03:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I missed that point. My tube tv did have hdmi. The component inputs did weird things. If I did not have the HDMI maybe I would not have liked it and would have had to (see casey's post above)

M3 and
M80
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082