MarkSJohnson #331818 12/17/10 01:32 PM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Dana, it may not be a placebo effect at all, considering the DSP programming might have been further tweaked from your original amp....

Sure seems like it Mark!

Man, I keep thinking about the EP800 with these improved amps... "must...resist...can't...stop..."
cry

Dana

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
Re: EP500 Not working
Robert_W #331819 12/17/10 01:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Robert_W
Well I just got off the phone and exchanged emails with JC. Very nice to deal with. New amp is on the way with one caveat. Apparently when I bought my EP600 it only had a 3 year warranty not 5 as now. However they are exchanging the amp with the newest version for $175 plus $30 shipping. Which I think is fair. So for $205 I have a new amp on the way.

I sure hope it fixes things cause I just plugged the thing back in and it's rumbling and crackling like crazy! I'm always second guessing things like maybe it could be the voice coil on the speaker too but it's doing the same thing that it did last time and the last revision and new amp had it working fine for the last 2 years or so. Lets hope i get more than 2 more years out of this next amp.

Anyway, kudos again to their customer service. They seem to be willing to do what ever it takes to make it right.

I'll let you know.

The crackling and rumbling sounds is another disturbing development. Does this happen as soon as you plug it back into the electrical outlet and the subwoofer is in standby and receiving no signal or did this occur when you are listening to music or a movie? And is it intermittent or constant?

If you are also worried about a blown driver inspect the woofer for any noticeable physical flaws. Another test is to carefully and gently press the subwoofer woofer cone and listen for any scraping or rattling sounds. Those sounds are usually indicative of a damaged voice coil.

Good luck with all this. Let us know how everything works out.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Dduval #331821 12/17/10 02:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Dduval
Just an update,

Having listened to the newer upgraded version of my EP500 replacement amp for a few days now, I'm very pleased.

Could be placebo effect, but the replacement amp definitely seems to be controlling the woofer better. Low end seems tighter, smoother and more solid. I kept thinking it sounded different when listening to music, so I ran MultiXT32 again. Excellent so far...

I also notice that the green light stays on all the time, how do I know if, when it goes into standby mode? I thought the light changes when in standby mode?

Dana

I was concerned on my replacements that the sound would be different or not as good as the original. Impossible to know as you can not do a double blind - but in the end, I am extremely pleased. Every time I sit back and just do something like watch a commercial on TV - let alone a movie or listening to music, I just think....aahhhh smile

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
jakewash #331830 12/17/10 03:23 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Does that new amp come with the 5 year warranty since you are paying for it?

No, I asked about this and only 1 year on the new one.

Dr. House, I don't think there's a voice coil issue. It's just my nature to second guess everything when it comes to stuff like this. There is no damage to the woofer visible and I never drive it to ear splitting levels. Loud some times yes. But never over kill.

It hums and thumps and scratches like crazy now when I plug it in. Doesn't matter whether or not it has a signal going to it. I just plugged it in with no cable attached and it was so bad I immediately unplugged it. It was a constant sound.

I sure hope this new amp lasts for a while. This is rather ridiculous.

MarkSJohnson #331860 12/17/10 10:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I thought I'd post my question here as a continuation from my post above regarding a remote switch for my EP500.

I've found an appliance module and aRF transceiver (I already have a remote). I'm pretty sure I'm right in my assumption, but wouldn't this setup cause even more havoc with the RF signal of my Harmony 1000? The odd time a button will just get stuck and the remote repeatedly send the same signal (it's turned the volume on my receiver to max), and my understanding is that it could be caused from other signals in the house.

If this is going to be a problem, does anyone know what I could use as a remote on/off switch?

I could possibly get down to turn the sub on, but getting up is another story.

Thanks for the help, guys.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #331878 12/18/10 02:18 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
but getting up is another story.
By the looks of your caregivers I wouldn't have thought that to be a problem. wink

Could you have an electrician wire up an IR light switch (Lutron) that controls the outlet the sub is plugged into. The 1000 does IR as well does it not?

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #331902 12/18/10 12:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
but getting up is another story.
By the looks of your caregivers I wouldn't have thought that to be a problem. wink

laugh

Could you have an electrician wire up an IR light switch (Lutron) that controls the outlet the sub is plugged into. The 1000 does IR as well does it not?

Yes it does do IR, Jay; the light switch in the room is controlled via my remote and I completely forgot. I'll look for an outlet that will work like that.

Thanks

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Dduval #332467 12/24/10 07:41 PM
M
local
local
M
Originally Posted By: Dduval
Randy,

I sold my pioneer about 4 days ago, worked fine then. Damnest thing I've ever seen. Everytime I get a new toy, something breaks. Call it bad luck, I don't know. Right now I'm just pissed to be honest. Gets old ya know...

Dana

So I'm not the only one that lives through this hell?! sorry to hear about it (but glad it's not just me?)... I'm batting about .500 when it comes to ordering new equipment and having it work properly out the box (that may be a great batting average in baseball, but not when it comes to new gear!!). It's frustrating lemme tell ya! lol! but not enough that I'll stop trying! sucker for punishment i guess! haha!

- Majik

Epic 80 system
Ep 800
Denon 3808
Optoma HD20
PS3
vp180
extra QS8s (to come soon)
majik #332475 12/24/10 08:17 PM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
Yes Majik,

With our luck, its a good thing we order from Axiom! I don't worry about my "curse" anymore. As I know Axioms customer Service will perform an Exorcism and banish all evil Demons! laugh

Dana

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
Dduval #333538 01/05/11 07:57 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
OK folks, in the continuing saga of the 600 ...here goes.

Got my replacement amp today but it seems to be a refurbished unit. frown I'm not positive but it looks that way. Gone are the trim control and there are no fuses. It also has a couple of minor scrapes, which aren't a big deal, where the screws mount to the cabinet. This is kind of disappointing as I was under the impression that I was to be receiving a new amp. Especially since the 1st and 2nd ones were not covered by the 5 year warranty....only 3 years....and I had to pay for this replacement.

The piece of paper came with the unit also states "This replacement subwoofer has all the current upgrades we have made since we launched this product." It also goes onto describe the replacement steps, in rather broken English, and makes reference to blue and white wires. There are none. Just the standard red and black banana type screw ons. There's also a "QC" sticker covering up the normal "SA" spot. The old unit is silver and this "new" one is gold.

Then it goes on to describe removing the woofer itself and running the blue and white wires to it. confused There is no need for this.

Again, I'm no expert but it sure looks like a refurbished unit especially given that the sheet they send with it makes reference to attached wires and colors that don't exist. Here's a picture side by side. Old amp on the left...."new" replacement on right.

Seeing that this is the 3rd amp in this thing it's kind of a bummer. frown Thought I was getting the latest. If some one could confirm this I'd appreciate it. I hope it's newer any way.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters