Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Amp power comparison
#3326 06/03/02 02:56 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hello everyone,

I have a question related to comparing amps with different wpc ratings. Here's the scenario:

i have the following speakers:

fronts: M22
center: VP150
rears: M3
sub: EP125

my amp is integrated, it's a Denon 1602, rated at 70 wpc. Before purchasing it, I compared it to the Denon 1802, rated at 80 wpc. I personally did not notice any difference that was worth the price difference, but this was in the store and only on 2 channel audio, on Paradigm Monitor 7's.

I figure 10 watts won't really make a difference. However, how about 30 or 40 watts? would a 100 wpc, or 115 wpc amp make a noticeable difference? Will it really increase bass output? After listening to a lot of music and watching a lot of movies this weekend, I realized that at high volumes, the bass is lacking, and it starts to distort.

So, if anyone has done any comparisons of amps that have similar power to mine and to amps that have, say 100-125 wpc, I'd like to hear your comments and observations.

thanks!

Re: Amp power comparison
#3327 06/03/02 06:37 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
If it's a Denon it's not losing power or causing the Distortion unless your full trottle on the amp.
It's the speakers

#3328 06/03/02 06:45 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
All seriuosness though,
I had a Denon 900 and a 1400 I have a HK 510 now only reason is somebody had a buzz in a HK65 I bought it still under warranty called you and after a few Phone calls they realized it was the Amp now I have a 510 as replacement but, if it wasn't for 5.1 I'd take my Denons back. it has the same power ratings as the 900 Denon but the Denon is louder at the same volume levels. Although I will not go over 1/2 volume so I cannot tell if the Denon loses power above this but after alot of reviews I it is one of the best integrateds.
As far as I'm concerned if you have to turn your amp up over 1/2 then you need a more powerful one. Especially if watching movies.

#3329 06/03/02 08:30 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
doretyp,

the amp pushes the speakers well, just not at very high volume levels. What I was asking was if anyone has compared an amp similar to 70wpc with an amp at about 115wpc at very high volumes, if it made any real difference, for instance, in more bass and capable of handling large blasts of sounds. This is called dynamic headroom, I believe.

Thanks for your input, though. I was thinking H K but the price is way too high for me. This Denon does sound very good.

#3330 06/04/02 12:28 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Yeh well I'd spend my money on Denon over HK any day.
I believe and stand to be corrected on this although I am 95% sure I am right, Dynamic headroom would be if you are listening to your sound system at say 50% and there is a explosion the volume inceases drastically eveen though you are not turning up the dial it still pushes the wattage out. The head room part is that you have enough wattage there that the amp doess not distort when it it produces these levels.
I can see how if you turn up the volume until you get distortion but I do not think it has the same effect as a sudden burst of energy.
I beleive that a 70 wpc Denon will not clip as easily as say a 70wpc kenwood even though the wattage is the same I will bet the Kenwood will clip way beore the Denon. But hen the Denon is a high current quality and the Kenwood is well Kenwood.
Then again a 70wpc Carver Cinema Grand will ick volumes galore over the Denon but at $3000 more.
I know the Denon you have is alot better than most amps your gonna buy in the 70 - 120 watt area unless then of course you can buy a Sunfire
PS stay with the Denon over the HK in terms of attage the Denon900 I had was 70wpc and the HK 510 I have now the Denon is was louder at the same 50% level

#3331 06/04/02 04:09 AM
shareholder in the making
Ravi, speaker sensitivities are typically rated in db of loudness when driven by 1 watt and a typical in room sensitivity would be about 90 db. When driven by more than 1 watt, a dbW figure is used to show increasing loudness. For example, 70W=18.45 dbW, 80W=19dbW, 100W=20dbW, 140W=21.45dbW. These figures are added to the loudness at 1 watt, e.g. at 70W output level is 108.45db, at 100W it's 110db. Therefore the difference in loudness between 70 and 100 watts is only 1.55db out of an almost deafening 110db level. Doubling the power to 140 watts results in an increase of only 3db. To double the loudness level requires an increase of 10db, which in this case would require 700 watts. The point is that the difference in volume capabilities among typical amps and receivers is quite small and shouldn't be a major factor in the purchasing decision.

Incidentally, the setting of the volume control necessary to achieve a certain degree of loudness has nothing to do with how powerful the amplifier is. It's entirely possible for a more powerful amp to require a 1 o'clock setting for the same volume that a less powerful amp gets at 11 o'clock.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#3332 06/04/02 12:46 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
JohnK

that was informative, though I knew that already
just to continue things, I wasn't really referring to its inability to make the speakers play loudly. I was more concerned about the distortion it would start to cause if the volume was turned up very high. For example, my amp goes -60 to +10. Say I am watching the Fast and the Furious at -15. It sounds great when they're talking or whatnot, but then when the cars are giving out a huge sound, the amp needs to push out a whole lot more watts, and it distorts a little. If I put the volume down, then the distortion stops. Therefore, it's not the source causing this. I was wondering if, say, the Denon 3802 which has something like 110 wpc would distort less at the same volume level of output in dB (not the position on the volume dial) than my 1602 at 70 wpc. And, if so, how much less would it distort.

#3333 06/04/02 06:09 PM
As you know Ravi, the distortion at certain very high volume moments may be due to the speakers, the amp, or both. I recall that you've previously commented that you run all your speakers at"large". Have you experimented with setting them to "small" to see if the distorted moments improve? Lessening the load on the speakers is one of the advantages of the "small" setting.

If it's mostly the amp then it's possible that if the problem is in the narrow power range where the lower power amp is distorting badly yet the higher power amp wouldn't be,that more power would help. If possible, borrow a much higher powered amp to check this .

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#3334 06/04/02 08:47 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Ravi -

I believe you are correct when referring to "dynamic headroom" as the ability for the amp to product large increases in volume for relatively short bursts.

The reading that I have done suggests that the "dynamics" of dynamic headroom are different for home theater vs. music (usual argument is that home theater is the more demanding as it requires longer, sustained peaks).

As many reviewers point out, separate components are typically designed to a higher standard. That's why a 60W "separate" amp will outperform a 60W AV receiver. I suspect a large part of the increased performance of separates has to do with its ability to generate dynamic headroom without distortion.

So, to your question about distortion at sonic peaks in program source material: At the same volume level, I suspect that the difference between two AV receivers (one at 75W, one at 100W, for example) would be almost exclusivley explained by the amps' dynamic headroom.

Few manufacturers dare report dynamic headroom, and I have never seen a reviewer attempt a test to measure it (if indeed it can be "measured"). Yamaha is reporting it (see for example, http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/Specs/?gAVR00010RX-V730), but I have no basis to know if the spec they report is good or not (they claim 1.2dB of dynamic headroom at 8 ohms). This doesn't seem like much, but I suspect, given Yamaha's good reputation, many AV receivers would fail to achieve the same dB increase.

The other interesting number would be how long an amp could sustain its dynamic headroom spec.

#3335 06/04/02 08:56 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I have tried it at small and it does reduce the distortion. However, I am not a fan of the way it sounds on small because my receiver cuts off at 80, whereas the M22's can play perfectly down to 50, and somewhat down to 40.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters