Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 137 of 183 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 182 183
Re: What video games are you playing tonight?
CV #363940 01/17/12 05:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I’m still playing Skyrim trying to get my fill of it before ME3 comes out. I’m at level 53 so far with Speech, Sneak, and Smithing maxed out.

I’m working on Enchanting and am up to level 87. I’d already be at 100 if I’d have found the best enchantment earlier but I just wasn’t find it so I went with the best I had. So now I just found the best one but ran out of filled soul gems. I’ve found hunting along the shoreline an effective way to fill them since the sea creatures don’t move very fast so if my soul trapping bow doesn’t one-shot them they don’t run away. I especially like the Horksters (sp) because I can put an15 second soul trap into arrow into one and then let Lydia kill it with her bow. I not only get the soul but often some free Daedric arrows she uses recovered from the body. I only had to buy one arrow and give it to her and she has an unlimited supply to shoot.

In buying and selling stuff to find more enchantments I finally found a pair of Ebony boots with silence on them for her so now she doesn’t stomp around alerting everything within a mile. Down side is that now I have to periodically turn around to see if she’s still following me because I can’t hear her stomping around.

I’ve had the game hang up on me four times in the last 2 days of gaming. These are different than the occasional hang-up before which were always preceded by me button mashing and hitting multiple incompatible things. These times its things like going through a door or just standing there.

Some other glitches are double looting a dragon I killed when I had to reload after something killed me. I didn’t get a second soul but when the game reloaded it was re-skinned and lootable though still dead. I also had it start raining mammoths, a very impressive sight. They must have spawned up in the air.

Dragons are really starting to annoy me. They keep popping up more and more often when I really want to be focusing on something else. I more dragon souls in the bank than I know what to do with.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #363956 01/17/12 01:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Star Wars The Old Republic, my initial review for those who care.

It's proving to be a very well done MMO. Best of all, despite the mass of converts from WoW, it seems that most of the more experienced players moved over to try it and the more famously annoying & immature WoW crowd must have stayed in WoW for it's new expansion. I've been grouping with people from all over the world and it's been a good experience so far. I don't normally play on PVP servers so I can't comment on that aspect. Maybe that is where they are all hiding.

While game play is solid, well paced and combat mechanics were unusually smooth right from opening day. The real strength of this game is it's unusual adherence to a story line combined with the freedom of an MMO. It's other major strength is the AMAZING level of detail put into it. It definitely lives up to the exceptional levels of detail that the movies are known for. You can spend a lot of time just staring at the surroundings. Especially the architecture of the cities. All the planets and locations are very true to the movie versions.

Even if you were disappointed in some aspects of the movies, if you like the concept of the Star Wars Universe at all, this game does the best job to date of making you feel like you really are living a part of it.

I'm especially enjoying my Sith Inquisitor's storyline (think the Emperor with his political deviousness and flashy lightning.) It's refreshingly fun to actually be rewarded for making the most morally wrong decisions you could possibly make for a change. This includes backstabbing and double crossing the very people who give you the quests in the first place, if you feel it suits your whim or your rise to power.

You are not tied to traditional stereotypes though. You can, if you choose, make evil decisions as a Jedi or play your Sith with a growing tendency towards the Light Side. No matter what class you are, your choices and interactions are tracked and you begin to increasingly flow towards the light or dark side. While this obviously influences the outcomes, there are also weapons and other items in the game that can only be used by people who have slid one way or the other far enough to wield them, such as a lightsaber that could only be wielded by the darkest Sith or a blaster rifle that will only be awarded from an NPC who takes note of say a Bounty Hunter's unusual acts towards the light.

Crafting takes a bit of a different angle. I never found I had the time to spend a lot of time building my gathering and crafting skills in other games. I was pleased to discover that as you gain ship and crew, you can actually task your crew with these tasks. They go off and become unavailable for a while but they eventually come back, hopefully successful with the results of their task in hand. You can even train your crew in less traditional MMO skills, like Diplomacy. Send them off to solve a problem. If successful, they will return with appropriate rewards and the mission may even award additional light or dark side points to you.

They have also included space combat. While the ship serves nicely as your home base and lets you roam the differnt planets at will, you can also engage in space combat missions. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in this aspect. It is a fun distraction but more in a traditional video game kind of way. Missions are all on rails. In other words, it is not true free flight. You can only maneuver in a virtual tunnel that constantly keeps you moving from point A to point B. You have until you get to point B to finish your mission then it's game over.

I know a true space combat simulator would have almost been like building a whole separate game but I think they really missed out on an opportunity here. Partnering with a company who does flight simulations would have given them a truly complete gaming universe like no other. Right now, it's a fun diversion at best but I personally won't be putting any time into it or wasting any in-game credits towards upgrading my ship.

In short for MMO players who are looking for something new, it is not a radically new formula from the usual MMO mechanics but things like the alternate genre instead of fantasy, the strong story lines that follow your whole career instead of just the first nn levels, and a few of the more original combat mechanics (such as classes who actually take advantage of natural cover) will be refreshing enough to make it worth trying out.

Say high to "Wraithlin" on "The Constant" server if you decide to play.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #364033 01/17/12 09:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Andrew, your review of Star Wars reminded me to tell you fellow gamers about RydarGames on YouTube. That link goes to his Star Wars The Old Republic Walkthrough Part 1, but if you check out his channel, you'll see he has numerous walkthroughs including one for Skyrim. I think he's one of the best game resources on YouTube.

I don't only watch his videos - for hours on end eek - to see if I'll like a certain game. I really enjoy just watching him play, as his gameplay and commentary are entertaining.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #364034 01/17/12 10:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Speaking of Skyrim, do any of you guys play it on a PC?

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #364060 01/18/12 05:25 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Yeah, I'm playing it on PC, though I haven't opened it up lately. I need to do that again since my alchemy is close to maxed.

CV #364075 01/18/12 12:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks Cam,
These types of videos are a great way to check out games before buying. Especially when they also require a monthly subscription. New players just have to bear in mind that he is purposefully taking his time so that he can let you see things and can explain what's happening, otherwise, people new to this type of game might think the game play a bit slow.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #364086 01/18/12 02:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the great review Murph! One of these days I will have to get into MMOs but there already isn’t enough time in the day . . . .

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
CV #364092 01/18/12 04:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CV
Yeah, I'm playing it on PC, though I haven't opened it up lately. I need to do that again since my alchemy is close to maxed.

Charles, you should check out Skyrim Nexus. There's a litany of addons like maps etc., but there's also files that improve the game's performance (FPS el.al.). The only caveat is that you need a very high end computer.

terzaghi #367291 02/19/12 04:47 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Playing the mass effect 3 demo. Holy smokes what an ep500 workout!

-David
terzaghi #367292 02/19/12 04:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Is anyone going to buy the PlayStation Vita?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Page 137 of 183 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 182 183

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020