Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Receiver/Amplifier Reviews
audiosavant #336805 02/03/11 03:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: audiosavant

One thing I've noticed is that people who claim that high end audio gear is not "worth" it are the same people that say flying first class is just a waste of money.

Those people have never flown first class. wink

Having flown first class I can assure you it is a waste of money unless you travel VERY far and a LOT.

Provide me with empirical evidence that there is a discernible difference between high quality electronics and you will convert me. Give me anecdotal evidence and I say its just a piddling contest.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #336806 02/03/11 03:07 AM
shareholder in the making
But obviously you're too poor to know the difference, Fred. That's my takeaway from audiosavant's post.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #336817 02/03/11 03:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Even if I weren't poor I would be too cheap. That's why I stuck with tin ears instead of the golden upgrade. grin

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #336820 02/03/11 03:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Someone's going to have to hook up two pairs of identical speakers to two different amps and do some tests, blind of course.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #336821 02/03/11 03:49 AM
J
J
You'd have to hook up those amps to the same speakers to remove any possiblity of small differences between those speakers ie placement etc.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #336824 02/03/11 04:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Same toe in and separation on the speakers. Using one pair would be difficult as well as splitting hairs imo.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #336827 02/03/11 04:53 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I would think it would be fairly easy with this switch.

fredk #336828 02/03/11 04:55 AM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: fredk

Having flown first class I can assure you it is a waste of money unless you travel VERY far and a LOT.

Well, I don't fly a LOT, but I usually only ever fly VERY far!

But I wish I could fly first class always. grin

In fact, I wish that I could afford to own and maintain my very own private jet!

But you are deluded if you think that a quality hierarchy does not exist.

I drive a Honda. I want a Porsche 911, but I don't begrudge a person that can afford to own (and maintain) a Lambo! I wish I could... smile

So some people think a car is just a car. To them it's silly to want anything but a basic automobile for transportation. Others live for the performance and aesthetics of high end automobiles. To each his own I say.

Here in the south, some "fellers" will spend $150,000 on a freakin' bass boat! I think that's insane... but I could care less about fishing. If I had that much $ to blow on a toy I would most certainly spend it on something that I love... like audio (pro/hi fi) or a car.

But I can appreciate the passion over finely crafted _______(whatever). If those boats are what the discerning fishermen digs, then hey, that's cool!

Some people are content with the average, common and ordinary.

Other people are connoisseurs of things. I've always aspired to those kind of hedonistic pursuits myself.

Coffee, wine, cigars, women, art, fashion, etc., are just a few of the things people become connoisseurs of. Life's to short to settle for "good enough" imho, but, ymmv...

Like all that yummy talk about homemade Thai curry. Some people think a frozen burrito is just as good. I mean, it's all just food, right? grin

I believe great audio is in the ear of the beholder. If you are content with your system then great! Just don't poo poo others who spend a lot to achieve what they are looking for.

It really is hard to convince people who have never even heard any high end gear.

But of course they always have an opinion on it... smile

Provide me with empirical evidence that there is a discernible difference between high quality electronics and you will convert me.

I'll leave the "converting" to the missionaries. wink

But I would like to know... have you ever actually heard a really high end hi fi system?

I have. You cannot get that kind of bang for only a little buck. It takes good gear. Good gear generally cost money.

I'm just an aspiring audiophile. I have good ears and I appreciate good sound, but in the scheme of things I'm probably just in the upper mid-fi end of the spectrum. I would love to explore the higher end of audio though.

Instead of this:

I would much rather have something like this:

Seriously, why should us audio snobs have to educate you coarse featured peasants anyway? grin

Give me anecdotal evidence and I say its just a piddling contest.

Well, I call your piddle and raise you a dribble my good sir! smirk

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

Ken.C #336829 02/03/11 04:56 AM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
But obviously you're too poor to know the difference, Fred. That's my takeaway from audiosavant's post.

Poor people deserve good sound too...

That's why Axiom is so great! grin

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #336830 02/03/11 05:01 AM
Introducing an irrelevant analogy isn't helpful when the point being considered involves simply the cold, hard, well-established facts of audio technology. If these ever change, it's not going to be discovered in an audio discussion forum. The incessant repetition of myths doesn't make them come true. Possibly it may appear in my AES Journal and lead to a nomination for the the Nobel Prize in physics.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082