C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I think there was a somewhat similar thread about branding that you like, but I've been thinking about specific products that have made my life better. Usually just stuff for everyday functions. These are some of the things that I've been really happy with.

Most recently, I decided to start packing a lunch again instead of relying on the hospital's cafeteria. The choices have been very poor for a while now, so I would almost always end up at the grill getting a chicken sandwich, veggie burger, or the occasional real burger. I liked the idea of the compartmentalized containers, so I decided to try out the system from easylunchboxes.com. Not so great. The lids would just sort of sit on the containers, not really sealing well. I ended up getting an entirely different lunch tote and container system:

Built Neoprene Tasty Lunch Tote

Kinetic Go Green Premium Nano Silver 7 Piece Food Storage Container Set

I also got these reusable ice cubes, but I haven't used them yet, so I can't say whether they're the bomb or not:

Icy Cools Reusable Ice Cubes

I really like the seal on the new containers, and the lunch tote looks cooler than the other ones I'd been looking at. Also stretchy enough to have a little room for accommodation. I can see the tote maybe not lasting forever if you're rough with it, but for me, I think it will be enough for a long time.

Another recent purchase was a Totes Titanium Auto-Open/Close Umbrella. To be fair, it was replacing a pretty crappy umbrella, but I still like it a lot more. Having it open as well as collapse with the push of a button is pretty cool. Again, I don't know yet how durable it's going to be, but I'm sure it's going to be stronger than what I had.

As far as not so recent purchases, it's hard not to mention the Snow Peak Titanium Spork. I tried every brand I could find at one point, and the Snow Peak was my favorite by a fair margin. At first the slender handle and big end threw me off, but I got used to it really quickly, and now it just feels natural.

I use this packaging tape dispenser at work, and after using cheaper ones that my parents own, I can say there's a huge difference in how well they operate:

3M Scotch Gray Box Sealing Tape Dispenser (H180)

All of my retractable badge reels at work kept breaking, so I found this which was a bit sturdier:

Gear-Retractor

It's been probably a couple of years by now, and it's still going strong. I got one for both my coworker and I. It's lasted for us both, and we both get our badges snagged on things fairly often in our work. You have to modify it slightly to work as a badge reel, but it's really not complicated. I'm sure it's even better for other things, since it has more than enough pull for badges.

I mentioned the Swingline Collectors Edition 747 Rio Red Business Stapler not too long ago, and it's still going strong at work, too, with no jams yet. Cheap on Amazon.com still, cheap at Costco.

Anyway, those are some little things that have made my life better. What do you have?

Re: Non-HT/audio products I like
CV #339023 02/18/11 07:31 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Oh, yeah, I also recently got a Bagel Guillotine, and it's definitely the better way to slice bagels. Of course, a smarter person might get their bagels pre-sliced.

And that of course reminds me of the Luncheon Meat Slicer, which I still enjoy when I'm going to cook up some Spam. Too bad Spam is so expensive these days.

CV #339032 02/18/11 12:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite

CatBrat #339073 02/18/11 05:58 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Great idea for a thread, Charles. I like the appreciative nature of it.

My wife often points out that "you're never sorry about buying the 'good' one"

I also bring my lunch to work most days; I like the healthy options (often not taken, but still), savings and convenience. I've been absolutely flabbergasted by the quality of the allegedly disposable Ziploc storage containers. Better than Glad and several others we've tried. They seem just as durable as Tupperware.

I love my autoseal Contigo Travel mug. By far, the best of the many I've lost used over the years.

Good knives are a joy. We have some Wusthof and some Henckels, but I'm also very impressed with the reasonably-priced Victorinox/Forschner brand. We keep them sharp with the wonderful Chef's Choice sharpener. Steels are to maintain an edge; this thing creates a new edge just in case you're not all that diligent about using the steel all the time. Or ever.

This probably doesn't qualify as a product, but after years of wearing progressives and trifocals, I finally bought a pair of full-frame, prescription reading glasses for computer use. Big improvement in quality of life and work. I know I have mentioned them before, but I still can't believe the utter design greatness of my Rudy Project sunglasses.

We have a Dyson vacuum. It just works.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #339087 02/18/11 06:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I like my Coda Elite hybrid. Great for street, path and trail riding....also pretty fast.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #339089 02/18/11 06:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
One of my favorite products is my Panasonic battery charger with rechargeable batteries. Love that thing.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
tomtuttle #339263 02/20/11 10:08 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I love my autoseal Contigo Travel mug. By far, the best of the many I've lost used over the years.

I think I may pick one up for my dad. Thanks for the tip!

I'll have to remember your recommendations for knives, too, whenever I get a set.

BlueJays1 #339264 02/20/11 10:10 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Dr.House
One of my favorite products is my Panasonic battery charger with rechargeable batteries. Love that thing.

I should probably get some of those. Maybe the same time I finally get a universal remote.

CV #339267 02/20/11 02:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I also like the ever functional bamboo steamer. They don't break down and are also inexpensive. Great for cooking vegetables and the ever important Dim sum...Mmmmmmmm.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
CV #339312 02/21/11 05:24 AM
Here's one thing that's been getting a lot of use since we bought it:

(Amazon link)

It's an apple peeler with a detachable corer/slicer blade.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 226 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup