Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W.W.J.D.?
#341181 03/08/11 06:09 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
It is SO cool to be able to fly a question here on any subject and get so many responses. Way cool!

Though I'm smart enough to heed virtually none of them, I (we?) still enjoy the replies. Here goes.

The electrician I use is an uber-Catholic holy hots. We're the same age, grew up in the same town and attended the same parrish church. Commonalities end right there, though we get along very well.

I don't care, really, but I don't want to hear about the people he has seen cured at holy sites.
I've never seen a "K of C" bumper sticker that large. It's about 30 x 20" on the back door of his large panel van.

Several weeks ago, one of my clients called him directly to do a couple of little things. When asked about scheduling, he went on to her about how he'd be away for his "Right to Life" March on Washington. And went on...

She was polite, but told me later she was creeped out to the max. She doesn't want him on the next big projects I'm doing with her. And she's awesome.

I'm meeting him at a client's house this Friday so he can wire the soffet I'm installing. He's not an a-hole, just simple. (No, not because of his beliefs.) He hardly lifts a finger---his assistant does it all. People, children, pets and woodland creatures love the assistant to pieces. He's a way cool and fun guy, who knows what he's doing.

All options are still on my table----from speaking to him about, to ignoring it, to ignoring it and finding someone else. He's always easy to reach, calls right back, is reliable, honest, and charges less than most of the competition.

I feel that he understands only 1/3 of what I tell him, but his assistant always nods and winks in understanding while behind his boss's back. It all gets done, but only after I do my little "Dancin' with the Misfits" routine.

Ideas, threats, condemnation welcome.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Re: W.W.J.D.?
BobKay #341183 03/08/11 06:12 PM
shareholder in the making
Can you hire his assistant out from under him?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #341186 03/08/11 06:16 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Boy, that was fast. Thanks, Ken. Already tried...and tried.... for several years now. He would feel guilty, though not for spiritual reasons.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #341188 03/08/11 06:21 PM
I doubt that he's going to listen to you; but I think that's really the next place to go now. Once he doesn't listen to you, you have the other options.

Mind that this is coming from a guy who would probably do nothing.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #341191 03/08/11 06:29 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
He listens. He has trouble understanding 2nd level reasoning.

And I do hear you re: doing nothing. It's so much less stressful than actualy doing anything. The older I get, the more it's my "go to" solution.

BobKay #341196 03/08/11 06:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That was my first thought as well, Ken.

I guess I'd try to diplomatically discuss it with him, e.g. "I respect your religious beliefs and your right to voice them to whomever you please. But as your friend, I feel I ought to let you know that when you do so so often, or so forcefully, it makes me and some of your customers uncomfortable. Do you think you could dial it back a little? I'd like to keep working with you. You're a hard worker, your prices are good, and you're reliable. Whaddaya say?"

Hopefully he will be able to have a light bulb moment and realize that not everyone thinks the same way he does. It may be as simple as that.

However, there is the possibility that he'll double down on the sermonizing, with or without getting annoyed/agitated.

Sounds like you've anticipated how a talk would go. I'm not sure if I'd give it a shot or just sit on it.

Good luck!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #341199 03/08/11 06:57 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
If I were looking for sensible, professional advice I'd have asked for it! Damn you, Dr., damn you!

Seriously, thanks for the thoughtfully considered input, JP. Though aware of my options and how I might introduce them, the "do nothing" seems so appealing at the moment.

I was so hoping for some cruder solutions; not to use en toto, just from which to cull possibilities.

BobKay #341202 03/08/11 07:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You could ask him if he wants a mint and hand him an Altoids box full of sublingual antipsychotic wafers.

Melts in his mouth in seconds! There's many to choose from. I'd go with Abilify Discmelt as it's probably least likely to cause sedation. There's also Risperdal M-Tab and Zyprexa Zydis.

Mwah ha ha.

medic8r #341206 03/08/11 07:18 PM
I like the suggestions that have already been....err....suggested.

Does that help? smile

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #341207 03/08/11 07:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark heard my evil laugh and thought I had Olive Garden cheesecake.

Which I did Monday at lunch, dinner, and Tuesday at lunch (double leftovers).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 175 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup