Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: My Own Thread to Say I Joined the Family
fredk #251381 03/12/09 04:24 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
These are actually the 3rd set of surround speakers I've owned. The first were a pair of Pioneer "full-range" (i.e. 1-way) designed for the bandwidth limited ProLogic processing. I have to say I thought going from ProLogic to Dolby Digital was a big change, while the move to TrueHD/DTS-HD MA was comparatively small, but the QS8s have breathed new life into the surround channel.

Not sure if I could do the extra long wait. Besides, getting a speaker at a time will allow me to evaluate the changes each make to my system.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #251389 03/12/09 04:51 AM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
OK, it's been four weeks since I placed the order for my QS8s ...

WAF - The factors to be evaluated before making someone my wife. First, she must like my HT.

Cris,
Thanks for the review on your QS8 experience.
"First, she must like my HT." Funny, my experience in dating, years ago, was when I would mention a nice sound system, she'd say: "That's nice" politely, not having the least interest. It may be akin to women dressing for other women. Not that we would (admit ;o) have a nice stereo (these days HT) for other guys, but it seems they appreciate a good set up.

So a wife 'liking' your HT may turn into a wife having no problem with your HT being a pretty good find. ;\)
I got very lucky in the wife OK with HT department. I never knew until I got bitten by the bug here and over at AVS. Dollars have been marching out of the house. She says, well I'm glad you don't spend ton's on other things, etc. I love this woman.

Chris, while you may not find an audiophile, you will attract a wonderful lady.

Cheers

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
davekro #251397 03/12/09 05:59 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
A couple comments on this off-topic...

The guys at work when they see my various packages arriving (car parts, camera equipment, computer components, and A/V gear, not to mention all the books and various formats of shiny discs), say "my wife would kill me," to which I reply, "you did it backward you buy the toys first, and then you get the wife."

I would rather find a cinephile than an audiophile. While I love listening to music, and am weary of anyone who says they don't like it, it's almost more of a personal thing. But video entertainment, like movies and television, is something which I prefer to share.

I took a girl to see Watchmen with me last Friday. She actually had read the comic, and was impressed that I owned the "Absolute" edition. In the prison scene a person is thrown over a railing, I immediately said, "that's that scream", mind rolling back to try to think of how to start to explain what I meant, but she interjects, "the Wilhelm." My heart skipped a beat. (Though for other reasons, I don't think she'll be anything more than a friend, but she's coming over in two weeks to watch the Black Freighter on Blu-ray--we'll see how impressed she is.)

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #251399 03/12/09 06:02 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Once she goes Freighter, she'll stick around 'til much later.

ClubNeon #251412 03/12/09 12:33 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Chris,
Very good point. I had not thought of that aspect. My wife and I both really love watching movies. She just does not get why all the hoppla and upgrade-itis over hardware. :o)

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
ClubNeon #251429 03/12/09 02:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have to say I thought going from ProLogic to Dolby Digital was a big change, while the move to TrueHD/DTS-HD MA was comparatively small...

Could you expand on this? I've been looking to upgrade my Denon 3300 only to get HDMI switching and the TrueHD, et al, formats as I move towards the 1080p projector. (Otherwise the Denon has been the best purchase I have made in audio.) I'm running a 5.1 setup, with no plans for 7.1, and I don't need up-scaling as the primary critical viewing is via PS3 1080p Blu-Ray, and the upscaler on the projectors will do fine for HD cable.

If you (and others) are not noticing a big improvement in the TrueHD area, I may be able to quell that voice in head yelling "pull the kids out of private school and experience the full power of this fully operational Dolby True HD HT [in the voice of the Emperor]".
My A/B comparison of the Dave Mathews on BR to CD was my first clue that the improvement might not be all I was hoping.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #251431 03/12/09 03:00 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I guess there's some improvement, but having experienced the transition from mono VHS into a RCA splitter, to HiFi VHS into a ProLogic decoder, to Dolby Digital/DTS on DVD into a 5.1 receiver. Those were all huge improvements over the previous generation, there'd be no mistaking one for another. But this lossless audio on Blu-ray into a 7.1 receiver, is only incremental.

I've not done any A/B comparisons between DVD and Blu-ray releases, but I didn't do that either with the previous iterations; it just wasn't needed, the change was so obvious.

Of course I've yet to upgrade the rest of my speakers from the DD/DTS days, and haven't upgraded my ears either. So I may be at the limit of what I can resolve, but I don't think so.

(On the other hand people who say they can't tell the difference between an upscaled DVD and a Blu-ray disc in terms of picture quality have to be blind, or watching a 20" television.)

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #251434 03/12/09 03:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
(On the other hand people who say they can't tell the difference between an upscaled DVD and a Blu-ray disc in terms of picture quality have to be blind, or watching a 20" television.)

Good, you passed the first test. Now and I can re-read your post with trust! ;\)

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #251438 03/12/09 03:11 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I think what I meant by not being at the limits of what I can resolve is more like Dolby's and DTS's lossy codecs were actually quite good, and there was little to more to gain going to the lossless format. It's going to take something quite special to get to the next big leap.

I like the idea of a height channel in the ProLogic IIz.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #251440 03/12/09 03:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think the big improvement is coming in the form of time correction and phase adjustment etc, to let people maximize the existing standards. DD is not the weak link in the signal chain at this point.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters