Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Von Schweikert Audio VR-1 Loudspeakers vs...
#34220 02/18/04 02:04 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here had experience with Von Schweikert Audio VR-1 speakers? SoundStage! seems to rave about them, as well as Audioholics and some other places. How do these stack up to Axiom's M22ti and M60ti, or even the m80 ti. Enjoy the music seems to rate them higher than the m80s in sound quality, but they also rate them as a lower value for money even though they are same price...

Enjoy the Music Review of VR1
Enjoy the Music Review of M80

Audioholics Review of VR1

SoundStage! Review of M80ti
SoundStage! Review of VR1

Re: Von Schweikert Audio VR-1 Loudspeakers vs...
#34221 02/18/04 04:25 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I have alot to say, but no time to write it.
I hate the Goodsound reviews.
I think the Soundstage review was pretty decent. The measurements are always a pleasure to see and certainly back up his claim for some of the sound. Based on the response graphs, i can see what he means by "The top end sounds quite vivid. Couple that with the weighty bottom end and a tinge of warmth through the mids, and it all makes for a surprisingly open and full-bodied presentation."
The price is high compared to Axiom or as he states the Ascents offerings as well, but they do sound like an interesting speaker to audition.
Personally i think they might be too 'rich' for my blood. (Pardon the subtle pun).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#34222 02/18/04 04:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello DJ_Stunna

Thanks for the opportunity to re-read those interesting reviews. I haven't heard the VR-1s, but the reviewers seem to come to 3 conclusions: (1) The Axioms are wonderful sounding speakers; (2) the Axioms are terrific values for the money; (3) and this is the difficult one, the Axioms are superb sounding speakers for the price but they could be better - they could reproduce music more faithfully.

There were some very interesting comments comparing the M80s to the M3s, and the M3s did not come out badly!

One of the reviews notes that the Axioms are better at reproducing attack than decay, that they are unable to reproduce the 'blatt' and 'blare' of horns, that they lack the 'liquid' sweetness of certain high end speakers.

As it stands now, if you want these qualities apparently you have to find them in the more expensive speakers from other manufacturers. That's unfortunate, because I am an Axiom fan. Axioms introduced me to audiophile sound - but I always knew something was missing, but didn't want to pay thousands of dollars more per pair of speakers to find it. I don't know what it would take to upgrade Axioms to this level - thicker cabinets, better drivers, better cross-overs, dunno.

So, I hope Axiom offers a premium line of speakers, which for the price of the wood finish upgrade, upgrades the sonic capabilities of a line of Axioms to high-audiophile levels.

My candidates for the first upgraded speakers might cause a few guffaws, but I think the M3Tis are the best platform for upgrading. The 6.5"/1" compliment is shared with some of the great speakers out there. Since the M3Ti uses minimal crossover - which is good - the upgrade path would be simply upgrading the drivers. I'd take a whack at it if I knew what the cross over characteristics of the drivers are in the M3. I've asked but obviously it must be some kind of proprietary information. A nice Vifa or Scanspeak 6.5 and a matching high end 1" tweeter in the M3Ti cabinet would certainly produce very interesting results, either way. If there were a substantial improvement, that would be good. If not, that would speak even more highly for Axiom's accomplishment with the M3.

My number 2 candidate for upgrading would be the M80 because of its cabinet size.

Anyway, there are a few speakers out there that will compliment my collection, if I win lotto - the Reynaud Twins MK III (under $900, so I suppose a winning scratcher would do), Silverline Panatella IIIs ($2,500), Spendor S3/5s and of course, the $2,500 (but homely) Reference 3A MM de Capo i.

So, what do these speakers have that Axioms almost have? Perhaps a bit more magic. What do I want from Axiom? A bit more magic for not much more money.

Go after the greats and bring them down!

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#34223 02/18/04 05:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

#34224 02/18/04 06:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Very, very nice selection there Saturn!

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#34225 02/18/04 05:07 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Here's perhaps a better question... What is the best (most accurate is my defenition of best, but if there is something less accurate that is better, I am interested) speaker for about $1000 US? I have a nice subwoofer so I do not need any real bass response out of these speakers...

Thanks

#34226 02/18/04 05:21 PM
E
EAR Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
The Von Schweikert's are also on my 'short list', with a pair of VR 2's up front and the VR 1's as the rear surrounds. Unfortunately, the nearest dealer is close to 300 miles away, so listening isn't a real option.

However, for accuracy, you might want to hunt up the reviews of the Axiom M2i's, they've gotten some pretty amazing ones. I've ordered a pair for my 'trial horse' system, and am very much looking forward to hearing them.

#34227 02/18/04 06:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have heard the VR-1's side by side with my Ascend CMT-340's.

It is a nice speaker, but I was not impressed with it compared to its cost.

#34228 02/18/04 06:07 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
In reply to:

However, for accuracy, you might want to hunt up the reviews of the Axiom M2i's, they've gotten some pretty amazing ones. I've ordered a pair for my 'trial horse' system, and am very much looking forward to hearing them.

Heh, thats what I have right now in my music only system.

#34229 02/18/04 11:41 PM
buff
buff
Just for your info, you might want to look on the other side of the fence and check out the Alesis M1 active monitors. For under 600 a pair, they are superb powered monitors. Ive been comparing them to my m50tis recently...I think the highs on the m50s exceed that of the m1s but im still getting a more airy/softer feeling with the m1's. The m1s midrange is excellent also, though i'm getting to like the punchines of the m50s in the mid low range. Gosh im hoping there is some way I can set up both of these speaker pairs to get the best of both worlds!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters