Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Help me understand midbass and power conditioner.
#344007 04/03/11 11:07 PM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Hello,

Two separately different question but I wanted to condense it all into one post.

I have come across references to midbass reading on audio forums from time to time. I even read on here that the reason some people prefer the M80s over other axiom speakers is because they provide more midbass. What exactly is midbass, how does it sound like and what range of the audio freq. does it appear?

I did a little reading on power conditioners and have a general idea of what they're used for. I am a bit interested in something like the APC H15BLK AV 1.5kVA H. Could you all give me a better explanation of what they're used for and would you suggest having one with your home theater equipment?

Speakers: Energy RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-Rs and eD A2-300 x 2.
Receiver: Marantz 6006
Re: Help me understand midbass and power conditioner.
Seekinganswers #344010 04/03/11 11:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Seekinganswers,

I can help you with the power conditioner, as I have the exact same model.

That specific unit has a few different functions. It acts as a surge protector for all of the components (not recommended to plug a subwoofer or separate amp into it because of the possibility of an inrush). It regulates the voltage coming into the unit so that the connected electronics can't be damaged by peaks or dips in the power being supplied to them (mainly a concern with the power supplies of a TV AFAIK). And it is also supposed to help "clean" the electricity supplied to the components.

I could very well be missing something, but I'm pretty sure that's everything smile .

In my opinion, because of the first two features that I mentioned, I think that my power conditioner is the most important part of my setup. I would highly recommend them to anyone that's invested a lot of money into this hobby.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #344013 04/04/11 01:32 AM
aficionado
aficionado
What I consider the midbass is the 50 to 70Hz region. The kick drum would be part of this frequency range.

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."
Seekinganswers #344017 04/04/11 01:42 AM
shareholder in the making
Seek, you want "exactly", but definitions of mid-bass can vary. The 60-120Hz octave would be fairly representative. Some might start it at 80Hz. My M22s(when used without a sub)provide quite strong response in that range and I certainly wouldn't want more mid-bass. More isn't necessarily better.

As to power conditioners, competently designed audio equipment "conditions" the power coming out of the wall outlet by using the transformer, rectifier and filter capacitors in the power supply section. Clean DC is supplied for amplification. No further conditioning is needed and I've never used any.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #344018 04/04/11 01:48 AM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Seek, you want "exactly", but definitions of mid-bass can vary. The 60-120Hz octave would be fairly representative. Some might start it at 80Hz. My M22s(when used without a sub)provide quite strong response in that range and I certainly wouldn't want more mid-bass. More isn't necessarily better.

As to power conditioners, competently designed audio equipment "conditions" the power coming out of the wall outlet by using the transformer, rectifier and filter capacitors in the power supply section. Clean DC is supplied for amplification. No further conditioning is needed and I've never used any.

Johnk,

so in your opinion, a power conditioner is just an overpriced surge protector?

Seekinganswers #344021 04/04/11 01:52 AM
That's about the extent of its possible usefulness.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #344032 04/04/11 03:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I'll agree with John's answer on midbass. I will add that more often than not, issues with a given frequency range are a room problem more than a speaker problem.

The differences between the M22 M60 and M80 midbass are for the most part subtle and all three are excellent performers.

The M22s, as a bookshelf will roll off higher at the bottom end (70Hz -3db), so you will lose some midbass and bass unless you pair them with a sub.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #344034 04/04/11 03:28 AM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Originally Posted By: fredk
I'll agree with John's answer on midbass. I will add that more often than not, issues with a given frequency range are a room problem more than a speaker problem.

The differences between the M22 M60 and M80 midbass are for the most part subtle and all three are excellent performers.

The M22s, as a bookshelf will roll off higher at the bottom end (70Hz -3db), so you will lose some midbass and bass unless you pair them with a sub.

so is midbase important if you're pairing your speakers up with a great subwoofer and crossing over at 80Hz?

JohnK #344042 04/04/11 11:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

Johnk,

so in your opinion, a power conditioner is just an overpriced surge protector? [/quote]

That's about the extent of its possible usefulness.

John, the unit doesn't have a legitimate function regulating the incoming power (as I mentioned above)?

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #344051 04/04/11 02:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Unless a "conditioner" has a large battery bank, it cannot regulate the power any better than the power supply built into the component. All it can do is limit current.

Even then, cheap battery units will use a stepped sine wave approximation, which adds harmonics to the AC. Though, the power supply in the component will filter out those harmonics there may be a buzzing sound as it does so.

I concur, power conditioners are overpriced surge suppressors.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465