Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: sayings-myths-falsities-truths in audio/video
ClubNeon #344595 04/08/11 02:35 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Oh, that's good to know. I've been concerned about playing badly compressed MP3s on my Axioms. I usually downrate those MP3s and re-rip them if possible, but they still sneak in there.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #344597 04/08/11 03:47 PM
J
J. B. Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
J
it's not clipping that damages speakers, but Power.
if you increase the volume to the point where there is heavy clipping, then the amp is in effect putting out more power than it was designed for, and it's this power - if sufficiently high - that will destroy speakers.
if a 50 Watt amp is clipping heavily and the total power going to a speaker is 100 watts and the speaker can take let's say, 125 Watts, then those speakers will be fine, whatever the form of the signal; even if it would be a triangle wave (resembling the teeth of a saw).
the speakers don't know the difference between a clean signal or a distorted one; they only thing they know is "power", and too much of it will heat up and break the speaker.

i would not qualify what you refer to as being "wisdom", but a myth invented by people who imagine an answer for a given unknown or problem, and then "make" it a truth.

it's a bit like the difference between religion and science.

Ken.C #344598 04/08/11 03:57 PM
J
J. B. Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
J
There is no reason to be afraid of playing badly compressed music files; the sound system you have does not know the difference between good and bad compression or whatever kind of distortion it can encounter.

A sound system only reproduces what it is given to reproduce, whether good or bad.

J. B. #344610 04/08/11 05:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: J. Bellemare
it's not clipping that damages speakers, but Power.
if you increase the volume to the point where there is heavy clipping, then the amp is in effect putting out more power than it was designed for, and it's this power - if sufficiently high - that will destroy speakers.
if a 50 Watt amp is clipping heavily and the total power going to a speaker is 100 watts and the speaker can take let's say, 125 Watts, then those speakers will be fine, whatever the form of the signal; even if it would be a triangle wave (resembling the teeth of a saw).

You may understand what you're trying to say, but you're not explaining it well.

Power is the right word, but is not interchangeable with Watts. Power is Watts over time. An amp driven into clipping is not going to be putting out much more in terms of Wattage as it's maximum during clean amplification. But the power output will be considerably higher, due in fact to the shape of the output waveform. Alternating current (AC) spends very little time at peak Wattage, and thus has a low total power. DC (direct current) is constant, and thus will quickly present the voice coil with an excessive amount of power to dissipate as heat. So triangle waves just touch peak wattage for the shortest possible time, but if they are clipped at peak wattage, the time spent there is longer, and thus higher power output.

Most amps are not DC coupled, and so will not reproduce a DC signal fed to their input. Some amp designers think that DC reproduction is a good thing and go to efforts to make the amp be able to do so. I don't see that is a plus at all. A speaker should never see DC.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #344611 04/08/11 05:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Audio with dynamic range compression (not psychoacoustic lossy compression) do have a higher total audio power (that's why they sound louder). But still are AC signals. They will have the speaker dissipating more heat, but you hearing will go before the voice coil. So trust your ears when playing music with large amounts of compression applied. If it sounds too loud, turn it down.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465