Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: QS8s vs. ERD-1 vs. FXi A4 vs. ADP-590
SirQuack #345537 04/20/11 12:30 AM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: Randy~P
Paradigm and Axiom's were founded under the same ground breaking design from Canada's NRC, so I can say they will have a similar sound. If you've heard the Studio lineup from them, that is similar to what you will hear from Axiom.

The Qs8's, in my opinion are hard to beat in terms of surround duty. They have been around for a long time, and have a huge following, even by non Axiom owners. The 4 drivers firing all in phase is unique to Axiom.

only thing of major difference is the cost. over $7500 for paradigm Studio 100's setup and just over $4400 for Axiom's M80's setup. In Canada that is

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
cb919 #345675 04/21/11 05:15 PM
S
Senator Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Originally Posted By: cb919
Senator - I agree with JohnK. Even the small M2 in my experience performs better than the VP-150.

Most users on the forum seem to indicate that the VP 180 is a nice upgrade in sound and performance over the VP 150. So, if I start with the VP 180, would you agree that I'm better off with that as opposed to the M2?

cb919 #345678 04/21/11 05:30 PM
S
Senator Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Originally Posted By: cb919
Regarding center channels - I am not an expert, but like you I did a bunch of research which led me to switching out my VP150 for the M2. I believe that 2 center channel speakers are very doable (CatBrat has done it among others), but must be done in the correct configuration to avoid weird effects or interactions with each other. For example, 2 vertical center channels would not make sense placed beside each other as you are simply starting to create another horizontal array but in a non-controlled way and you start getting into all of those horizontal array issues again. However if the speakers are separated you should start to get away from those issues. So to my logic, the only way to have 2 center channels with ample separation is one above and one below the screen. From there you get into 2 verticals, 2 horizontals or a vertical and horizontal mix as your options. I personally have never heard dual centers, but having above and below screen seem to have worked for a few forum members at least.

Starting with a good horizontal (or vertical) center speaker and then trying options from there makes a lot of sense to me!

After looking even more at comb filtering effect posts and research on the 'net, the T-shape, dual center speakers (with the horizontal VP-180 just ABOVE the TV/Screen, angled slightly down toward the top of the ear level at the seated position and the vertical M80 below the TV/screen, angled ever-so-slightly up toward the ear level at the seated viewing position), seems to be widely raved about. In many of the high-end audio forums, especially with users who have large home theater spaces, they speak very highly of adequately powered dual centers in that arrangement (which ties in to everyone's views on this board that the best possible arrangement is three vertical speakers across the front), pointing to great dispersion across the whole room as one of the main benefits.

I think that's the new long term plan, especially since it poses far less difficult mounting challenges. (Angling the VP-180 downward just requires an angled shelf with a lip on the front to hold the speaker in place-immensely less of a hassle than trying to angle an M80 downward near the ceiling).

CatBrat #345803 04/22/11 06:12 PM
S
Senator Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I've used my VP100 in/on-wall for a little over a year and always noticed a lack of off center dialog volume. Decided to try the M2. This solved the off center volume problem, but introduced (to my ears and room condition) male vocals lacking in the lower end, more-so than just the VP100. So now I have the M2 above the screen and the VP100 under. Next week, I should have a VP150 in/on-wall that I ordered to replace the VP100. I got a good price on the auction so, why not? But, I don't know how this will change things. I do like the M2 + horizontal better than just one or the other. Better overall sound. I'll have 7 tweeters up front. Now with 6 it is a bit too bright for music, but cymbals really sound good. It also makes the upper end of other instruments, such as piano sound more realistic.

I'm thinking with the M2 above the screen and the VP150 below the screen that I'll have the following condition. The M2 plays a couple of db lower than M22. The VP150 plays a couple of db higher than M22. After Pioneer's MCACC calibration, It'll probably lower the over-all volume of the center pair because of the VP150's higher volume. This may cause the M2 to be mostly in-audible. Since they are on the same channel I can't turn the VP150 down without installing some sort of external volume control. But the M2 would come into play more for off-axis listening in this case.

Great feedback, thank you! Your post really cements my long term plan and the details for a dual center surround setup. I did a temporary upgrade on my center channel today and installed the matching DCM KX Center channel. I've been playing around with it and the Sony center channel speaker, experimenting with listening positions and angles, so I should have the kinks of a dual center setup mostly worked out by the time my eventual system arrives.

Senator #346123 04/26/11 05:28 AM
S
Senator Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Okay, so I've done some more shopping around (now that I am on my center speaker kick). All the center speakers I have demoed, list higher top-end frequency response ranges (some by quite a bit-30,000 Hz, i.e.-http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Definitive+Technology+-+Mythos+Three+Dual+4-1/2%22+2-Way+Center-Channel+Speaker/6639364.p?id=1151658129688&skuId=6639364)

Now, I understand that the human ear can readily perceive from 20Hz - 20,000 Hz and that the perception of the upper range decreases as we age, but I still feel like I'm somehow missing out by getting speakers that "don't go to eleven" by capping out at 20,000 Hz. Thoughts?

Senator #346125 04/26/11 05:49 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You can't hear anything above 20k Hz. Seriously. Frequency response above that is marketing hype.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Senator #346127 04/26/11 06:16 AM
shareholder in the making
There's no good reason to feel that way. 20KHz can't in fact be "readily" perceived. There are almost no musical harmonics in the top few thousand of Hz and the normal loss of sensitivity of the human ear at higher frequencies(e.g., the Fletcher&Munson curves)makes them of largely only academic significance at normal listening levels. For example, when the upper limit for FM broadcasting was studied, the result was that it was set at 15KHz, since a higher limit had been found to be of no audible significance.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #346291 04/27/11 03:12 AM
J
J
I guess if you get that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that your speakers are playing sounds only dogs can hear then by all means by them. You should be happy your purchase, with no sense of regret.

But first I would suggest playing some test tones through what ever speakers you have and while holding a SPL meter see where the point is that you no longer hear anything vs. the point at which the test tones or speakers cease to play. I can still hear to about 18khz with this non scientific method and I do not feel I am missing anything, especially considering much of the equipment used for playback isn't spec'd for anything higher than 20khz either.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #346726 04/30/11 06:46 PM
S
Senator Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Originally Posted By: jakewash
I guess if you get that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that your speakers are playing sounds only dogs can hear then by all means by them. You should be happy your purchase, with no sense of regret.

But first I would suggest playing some test tones through what ever speakers you have and while holding a SPL meter see where the point is that you no longer hear anything vs. the point at which the test tones or speakers cease to play. I can still hear to about 18khz with this non scientific method and I do not feel I am missing anything, especially considering much of the equipment used for playback isn't spec'd for anything higher than 20khz either.

^Great suggestion! I was able to borrow a digital SPL meter from a cousin who used to do home theater installation and I went and tested some of the speakers that went above 20kHz. Four things became apparent to me. First, most receivers do not even offer reproduction ranging above 20kHz. Second, using high-end receivers that did, material in that range is very limited. Third, using a specific test SACD that features recordings (on loan from my cousin again-the SACD had chapters marked for the various ranges) in those higher ranges, nearly all of the speakers capped out at by 22kHz on the SPL meter, regardless of whether the speaker listed 30kHz at its top end (the source SACD had segments up to 50kHz). Finally, I could not hear anything above 19.2kHz, so my limited perception renders everything above that moot regardless.

So, I feel immensely better about this and have verified what you have said, it is not a valuable spec. in the equation. Thanks for your thoughts, you were completely right.

Senator #346729 04/30/11 06:52 PM
Wow, 19.2kHz is really impressive!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup