Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Advice - moving from Bipolars
#34498 02/19/04 10:15 PM
csptk Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello:

First and foremost: great reading here! I've been lurking a bit while collecting info.

I'm considering a main speaker upgrade/change and happened upon Axiom...now I'm asking questions ;-)

I've grown tired of my current main speakers, and I'm looking to change. Right now I have a pair of Paradigm Export/BP's that have kept me happy for quite a while. But I'm now leaning more AWAY from that "bipolar" sound, and more towards a "focused" speaker (if that makes sense). Music is more important than HT, although I am still planning to use these speakers in a HT setup.

A couple years ago I got the same bug and started shopping around. I really liked the Paradigm Ref 60's (dunno what series they were v1, v2, etc.) and the PSB Silvers (I think?) at the time. They both fit my taste very well, although I could not A/B them back-to-back. Also at the same time the B&W 602's to me sounded to "loose"...or "laid back"....not my cup-of-tea...just to give more perspective of where my "ears" are ;-)

From what I've read, the m60's sound like a good candidate for me but I'm curious if there are any opinions out there from people who've gone from a BP type speaker, to a more conventional design? Any advice?

If it matters at all my current source is a Yamaha 2092..which most likely will be upgraded to a NAD T763 in the near future (probably in the same timeframe as the main speaker replacement).

Thanks for this great resource of information!

- Tom
Upstate NY

Re: Advice - moving from Bipolars
#34499 02/19/04 10:30 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Tom, welcome. Yes, your comment about wanting a more "focused" type of speaker makes great sense in my view. I haven't owned bi-polar or di-polar speakers, but listened to them extensively a couple years ago when I was making several speaker decisions. Despite the "big" sound, I didn't really care for the effect in comparison to front-radiating speakers. I'd think that you'd be very pleased with the clarity which the M60s would give you.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (spiroh), 368 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup