Re: Favorite Quotes
michael_d #344965 04/13/11 01:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: michael_d
Originally Posted By: Limited Less
Originally Posted By: michael_d
My favorite:

"I think, therefor I am" (one English interpretation of it anyway)

Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Intent to rile, nothing more. You're responsible for how you let it get to you.

I completely agree. Just because I point it out, doesn't mean it bothers me; I'm over that.

I can call someone out for being disparaging without being told to shut up. You've done it numerous times, and rightly so.

What I say? That is my favorite quote, it's Descartes 1596 - 1650 - my favorite philosopher.

My err, Mike. I thought your quote was directed at me as it was posted after three other posts, was a direct reply to my message , and in the vein of letting something bother me i.e. "I think (limited), therefor I am (limited)".

Apologies.

And that is an amazing quote.

I like John Stuart Mill and Thomas Paine.

I don't believe I have a book by Descartes. Suggestion?

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
michael_d #344969 04/13/11 02:38 AM
shareholder in the making
for some reason people are over sensitive to things not directed at them.... Benny Hill

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #344973 04/13/11 04:22 AM
I'm glad you said Benny Hill. This thread needs some carefully controlled hand farts.

pmbuko #344987 04/13/11 12:22 PM
I'm glad you said Benny Hill. This thread needs some carefully controlled hand farts.

What thread wouldn't benefit?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #344998 04/13/11 03:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just because the herd is in step does not mean it is headed in the right direction.

The gadarene

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Ya_basta #345013 04/13/11 04:16 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By: Limited Less

I don't believe I have a book by Descartes. Suggestion?

Cam –

If you really want to study Descartes, I would start with his book “The Discourse on the Method”, or its full title “Discourse on the Method of Rightly Conducting One's Reason and of Seeking Truth in the Sciences”. If what he writes in this book interest you, you can decide if you want to give his additional writings further study.

After reading some of the things you have written over the past couple of years here, you might want to study Friedrich Nietzsche as well. I think you will like the book “Basic Writings of Nietzsche” I think it is excellent and a very different tone from most philosophical writings. Nietzsche is also one of the most misunderstood and misrepresented philosophers because he questioned convention (basically called BS on it).

I am by no means an expert on philosophy and do not have the intellect to be a philosopher, but find it incredibly interesting and thought provoking. One thing it has taught me is to keep an open mind, never accept status quo and question everything. My favorite book (so far) is “Sophie’s World”. Well, that book and Zen and the Art or Motorcycle Maintenance. I like Sophie’s World because it is a great introductory book that ties the ancients to modern day in a chronological order without giving any preference to one thought or direction. Plus, it’s an easy read, unlike most philosophical texts and books.

2x6spds #345029 04/13/11 07:27 PM
Just because the turd wears glasses doesn't mean it can read.

pmbuko #345033 04/13/11 07:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just because the turd wears glasses doesn't mean it can read.

Are you calling Descartes a turd?

Don't make me go all Hegelian on yo' ass.

(That'd be so funny. In the middle of a multi-person heated discusion over interpretations of Descartes, you interrupt and say "Descartes was a turd!" Not another word or gesture. You just get up and leave. The substitutions are endless.)

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
michael_d #345035 04/13/11 08:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks, Mike. I've read Nietzsche, and own at least one of his books but I can't remember which one/ones. I have enjoyed reading his works in the past.

I'm with you, as I find philosophy incredibly piquant. I haven't read a book on the topic in many years. I stick to one subject for a while, then move onto another. The downside is that I find it harder to retain information. For the past 6 months at least, I've been voraciously studying the Israeli/Palestine conflict, and like to think that I have a good understanding of things. Because of the gravity of the situation, I can see it breaking my aforementioned transient studying trend.

The best book I've ever read is "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankle. He's a psychologist, and the pioneer of logotherapy. Despite this, the book does have a philosophical undertone.

Here's a synopsis-

"Viktor Frankl's 1946 book Man's Search for Meaning chronicles his experiences as a concentration camp inmate and describes his psychotherapeutic method of finding a reason to live. According to Frankl, the book intends to answer the question "How was everyday life in a concentration camp reflected in the mind of the average prisoner?" Part One constitutes Frankl's analysis of his experiences in the concentration camps, while Part Two introduces his ideas of meaning and his theory of logotherapy. It is the second-most widely read Holocaust book in the bookstore of Washington's Holocaust Museum.

According to a survey conducted by the Book-of-the-Month Club and the Library of Congress, Man's Search For Meaning belongs to a list of "the ten most influential books in [the United States]." (New York Times, November 20, 1991). At the time of the author's death in 1997, the book had sold 10 million copies in twenty-four languages."

I think you would enjoy it, as I consider it one of those books that everyone should read. I honestly couldn't see anyone finishing the book without it having a profound impact on them.

And there's post 3000! Come on, Peter, get on me about something. It's not a real milestone for me if you don't grin . There's gotta be something - grammar, orthography, I'm a jackass etc. smile .

This is the only forum I post on regularly, and I cherish the time spent here with everyone. I've considered leaving a couple times quite honestly, but the time away was shortened (too bad for some of ya smile ) because I missed you guys.

Anyway, thanks for the omnipresent help, friendship etc. etc.

Peace and love,
Cam

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #345040 04/13/11 11:01 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Well, if this is where we're celebrating Cam's 3,000th post...

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020