Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 21 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Re: Bin Laden is Dead
Ya_basta #347416 05/06/11 10:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hitler had his own vague, conflicting religious references/ rationalizations. He didn't use mainstream religion as his main propaganda tool like OBL. With or without the existence of religion, Hitler would have been the same, evil murdering bastard.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
2x6spds #347418 05/06/11 10:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
I see people in a different and better light. Humans are, without a doubt, the highest achievers of all living things on this world.

Every individual, is a combination of good and evil, courage and cowardice, wisdom and folly, strength and weakness. Even among the participants of this thread, there is disagreement as to what constitutes good or evil, courage or cowardice, wisdom or folly, strength or weakness.

Nevertheless, we have a nominee for worst offender in the animal kingdom ... oh, and it's us, also known as the crown of creation.

Yup, it's all true, but a bit more complex, I think.

Good stuff Phil.

Rick
Our Room

smile
Ya_basta #347421 05/06/11 10:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: DEVIL
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
Originally Posted By: Rock_Head
Following this rather interesting thread with tongue firmly planted in cheek smile
Can we assume that if religion was removed from this mess that everything would be right in the world or would these nut jobs find something else to argue about?
Just my 0.02
Peace

Adolf Hitler

It's my understanding that Hitler referred to a higher power of varying titles in Mein Kampf and many speeches. I think the only one that truly knows that whack jobs religious views is Hitter himself.

I think Hitler's spirituality was the will to power in the struggle for supremacy among racial groups. His prophets were Darwin and Herbert Spencer, Heidegger, Baeumier. After all, as Hitler remarked, Alles Leben ist Kampf.

Western civilization's spiritual - religious framework is Judeo-Christian ethical monotheism. Hitler's 'spirituality' is not congruent with that higher theme. In fact, Hitler was the antithesis of ethical monotheism, complaining that Judaism and Christianity and their ethical schema weakened the Superior Aryan Geist.

It would be very unfair to hold Hitler up as an example of religion gone mad. On the other hand, even a cursory review of Mohammad's life and conduct and the values which are normative in Islamic cultures might lead to different conclusion.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #347448 05/07/11 03:47 PM
veteran
veteran

Like I thought, Craig. You can't answer the question. Your insult about poor plot devices notwithstanding, or how unlikely the scenario, you avoid the point, because you cannot deal with it in an honest way.

As to your statement that torture doesn't work, that people will say anything to make it stop, if you don't think that can be used to obtain totally accurate information, you are not thinking clearly. You are merely spouting cliches.

Really, think about! Put yourself in the position of a person being tortured for information. Every time you bullsh!t, you are forced to endure the unendurable. How many times, before the pure, clear truth emerges?

Be honest.

You keep avoiding the point. I didn't answer your question because it is not based in THE REAL WORLD, which is what we're (trying) to talk about here.

You also keep ignoring the points the against using torture. "Enduring the unendurable..." To repeat, if the torturer doesn't know the answer, then how can that person tell the difference between the truth and the "bullsh!t" !?

Please see this outline from the US Army Training Manual.

The use of force, mental torture, threats, insults, or exposure to unpleasant and inhumane treatment of any kind is prohibited by law and is neither authorized nor. condoned by the US Government. Experience indicates that the use of force is not necessary to gain the cooperation of sources for interrogation. Therefore, the use of force is a poor technique, as it yields unreliable results, may damage subsequent collection efforts, and can induce the source to say whatever he thinks the interrogator wants to hear. However, the use of force is not to be confused with psychological ploys, verbal trickery, or other nonviolent and noncoercive ruses used by the interrogator in questioning hesitant or uncooperative sources.
Source

The above which I grabbed from here also points out a CIA operative that says torture is unreliable, brings up the point that basic human memory can be flawed and unreliable (you know, why courts tend to require cold hard proof, not just eye-witness testimony, because people just remember things wrong sometimes) and various scientific proof that human memory gets worse when deprived of sleep or put under pressure...

But I suppose you know more than the people who wrote the US Army Training Manual? CIA operatives? Dozens of scholarly articles on human memory, etc..

Please note I found this article just now, but it does include your ticking-time bomb scenario and considers it the same as I did previously.

It's clear at this point you are unable to have a reality based discussion, so I will cease responding to you now. Feel free to make another glib comment on how I "cannot deal in an honest way" as your only retort while you continue to ignore all the evidence against your point. I am done here.

Craig_P #347450 05/07/11 04:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well said, Craig. Thanks for the info.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #347454 05/07/11 05:33 PM
shareholder in the making
Interesting that a true military manuals would be open for public view by a plain citizen.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #347461 05/07/11 06:38 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
As far as military secrets, how much information in the manual is that sensitive? I'm assuming they have to give a lot of them out. It would be a lot to expect it to never see the light of day. And even for the more sensitive information, it's not like WikiLeaks never happens.

CV #347470 05/07/11 08:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Here's the Official Department of the Army Publications and Forms. And here's all of the army's doctrine and training publications.

Despite what training manuals say, they're very rarely followed (officers go beyond what's appropriate), which is why they aren't that sensitive. They're equivalent to something like Canada's food guide grin .

Racism has been a tool for a long time but it's not written in any manual.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #347488 05/08/11 01:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No one is saying that enhanced interrogation or torture is morally correct. If you a priori assume that neither enhanced interrogation nor torture can obtain reliable information, then there is no need to reach the moral issue. Instead, you can dispose of the issue on purely utilitarian grounds, as you Craig and Stupidity is Not a Handicap have done.

I acknowledge the US military training manuals' statements regarding torture and enhanced interrogation. The manual pertains to military prisoners. Here we are talking about terrorists, or non nation state players such as soldiers in the army of Allah.

As to soldier prisoners, you can't even play loud music or interfere with a prisoner's sleep. I agree with this whole heartedly.

I submit however, that the case is different for terrorists, especially terrorists who hope to use weapons of mass destruction to annihilate the population of an American city or render it uninhabitable. Do you urge the restraints set out in the US military manual against discomforting a prisoner who has such information?

Not to put too fine a point on it, Craig and Stupidity is Not a Handicap, but your arguments lack even the courage to engage the moral issues presented.

I also find your reliance on a US military manual potentially ironic as I suspect you both regard the US military as at least an unsavory if not a criminal organization.

By the way, you don't really think either of you could resist even 60 seconds of torture before giving up your families, do you? So much for torture is ineffective.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #347489 05/08/11 01:42 AM
C
CV Offline
C
By the way, you don't really think either of you could resist even 60 seconds of torture before giving up your families, do you? So much for torture is ineffective.

I still don't see how this means the information gathered is reliable... especially as unreliable as some families are.

Page 17 of 21 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters