Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tuner out of alignment or what??
alan #348341 05/17/11 12:00 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted By: alan
Ichigo,

How "vintage" is your Marantz tuner? [b]Is it an analog model, with manual tuning?[/b] Is it vacuum-tube or solid-state? And if solid-state, does it have a digital readout with pre-sets?

If it has a manual tuner with a horizontal tuning dial and manual pointer
, then J. Bellemare is correct. The pulley may be slipping and the pointer has become dislodged.

If it's a vacuum-tube model, then tubes drift all the time and deteriorate, and it wouldn't be worth having it realigned unless you simply like the idea of a retro analog tuner.

In theory, digital tuners should not go out of alignment, although I owned one in the early 1980s that did malfunction.

One other factor: the FM band in Japan is different than in North America, but such a degree of error that you cite would not occur.

Regards,
Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for clarifying. Do you think it is easy to fix it? Otherwise I will just return it to the previous owner.

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Ichigo_Kurosaki #348342 05/17/11 12:01 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I bought that because it was cheap, maybe a mistake since not very good things have I heard about this model. At least it looks nice IMO and it is in mint condition.

St_PatGuy #348343 05/17/11 12:03 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
That was a good story! I agree, Ken--awesome.

Thanks, J.

+1

Ichigo_Kurosaki #348349 05/17/11 02:18 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Ichigo, if the Japanese FM band runs 76-90 MHz, then it wouldn't seem that receiving 89.5 at 78.5 would be within any conceivable degree of misalignment. Almost nothing could be received since it would fall below the 76 MHz limit. Are you sure that the station in question doesn't simply also transmit at 78.5? Many U.S. FM stations use several frequencies at alternate transmitter sites.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Ichigo_Kurosaki #348374 05/17/11 02:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Ichigo,

Before you start fiddling around with the pulleys and string and tuning pointer, why don't you get a list of FM stations in your area with their broadcast frequencies and test the Marantz on other stations. If indeed, the pointer and string have become dislodges or are slipping, it isn't "easy" to fix. It's kind of tricky and you have to be able to get at the pulley system and pointer.

Yes, I love the look of those old vintage tuners. It appears your Marantz is similar to a huge old Pioneer unit I had (it was a stereo receiver) that used a manual tuning condenser (top left corner of your picture) with pulleys and string. If memory serves, mine had a Phase-Lock-Loop tuning circuit that would optimally lock in the station frequency. Your Marantz at least is solid-state, so you don't have to worry about wonky tube vagaries causing the erratic performance.

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617