Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M60/QS4 or M22/QS8?
#34859 02/23/04 04:07 AM
scier Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Background: I'm planning on buying a set of Axioms for a brand-new HT room (13'x23'x7'8", though the listening area is only ~13'x13') -- new HT, that is, not new room. I have a feeling that a M22ti/VP150/QS4 combination would fill the room with sound just fine, especially as this is a townhouse and I'm not going to be knocking the walls down with full-out 120 watts per channel any time soon, much less 175. But I'm looking to get the *best* sound I can for a reasonable budget, so my current target is M60ti/VP150/QS4 (plus an HSU STF-2), as so many people say the VP150 is worth the extra (and it's not *that* much extra), and the M60s -- well, it just seems like towers are, well, more appropriate -- I somehow expect a fuller sound (albeit with no justification for that). The price of the whole system is getting marginally out of hand, though (going with a $3000 projector, for one thing), so I'm going back through and seeing what I can trim. One possibility was switching the M60tis to M22tis. That's a silly question to ask, though -- it's been asked many times, and the answer seems to be more or less "well, if you have the extra money, spend it". So since I've seen many praises of the QS8 over the QS4 as well, I'll pose this question in a more interesting way: given a decent sub, would you prefer M60tis+QS4s or M22tis+QS8s? I'm not a true audiophile, but I want my music and movies to sound *good*.

My sources are 70% movies, 30% music -- I want a really immersive HT experience, but I actually care about the *sound* of the music a bit more than the movies. Not planning on doing DVD-A or SACDs any time soon, though; straight CDs as a source for music.

I've decided against the QS8s so far because one, I don't need the extra power, and two, it just seems that surrounds aren't nearly as important as mains in 98% of movie scenes, not to mention 2-channel music; especially not enough to justify spending more on surrounds than mains. OTOH, it seems that in my situation (M22s delivering sufficient power, and a sub present), the improvement of the M60s over the M22s may be marginal or even nil (though I'm a bit worried I'd regret this decision later -- and I'm hoping not to have to upgrade at all for the better part of a decade).

But again, I'll put the question more simply: M60/QS4 or M22/QS8 (given a sub either way)?

Thanks for reading this far -- and even more for any insights!

Re: M60/QS4 or M22/QS8?
#34860 02/23/04 05:25 AM
buff
buff
How about a third choice? Since you're trying to trim costs a little, you should consider the M22/QS4. The QS4 is now being made with the same tweeter as the QS8. Since your listening area is only 13'x13', you probably don't really need the QS8, particularly since you're trying to save some money.

The M60's need some breathing room to really sound their best. So the M22's (with a sub) will do just fine, and save you money.

Jason

M80 HP v4, VP160 v4, QS8 v1 (3 in 6.1 layout), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Parasound Halo A21, Denon AVR-X4100W
#34861 02/23/04 07:13 AM
E
EAR Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Slightly off your question, but you indicated that an immersive movie experience was important to you. I just upgraded from 5.1 to 7.1 with a Yamaha VX-R2400, just got everything hookup Sunday afternoon. First thing I put in was LOTR 'Fellowship' extended version with the DTS-ES sound track, which we previous had thought to be amazingly good in the 5.1 system. The difference was remarkable, and there was a far greater feeling of being in the movie. My room is much smaller than yours, but I'm also setting up a '10 year system' and would strongly recommend 7.1 based on what I'm hearing. The Pro Logic IIx, likewise makes music sound very good.

#34862 02/23/04 03:10 PM
local
local
You've well phrased the issues. While M22s are very good, in general M60s are well worth the upgrade. However your room is somewhat small. You have a great sub the STF-2. M22+STF-2 works very well (I used to have those). Re QS4 vs QS8, I haven't heard the QS4. But most of the sound in both movies and music comes from the center and mains, so in theory QS4s would be OK, especially for a smallish room.

Note the VP150 is fairly large and weighs 17lbs. Make your measurements carefully. If TV mounted, verify your TV will support the weight and size.

The system you first stated will sound very good. If you ever move to a larger place maybe consider M60s then. Just my opinion.

#34863 02/23/04 07:47 PM
S
regular
regular
S
I would get the M60's for mains. The reason being that it is nice to have the option of listening to stereo music with two full range speakers without the sub. Also - since you have a projector screen and don't need a speaker designed to sit on top of a tv, you may be able to save some money by using a single M22ti or M3ti as a center channel.

#34864 02/23/04 10:17 PM
scier Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
> Also - since you have a projector screen and don't need a
> speaker designed to sit on top of a tv, you may be able to
> save some money by using a single M22ti or M3ti as a
> center channel.

This is a good point; I didn't realize the bookshelf speakers could be split up. There wouldn't be room for a vertical center above (there's only 12" between screen and ceiling), but may well be below (27" below). The appearance would be slightly out-of-the-ordinary, but not a big deal I suppose. Would using a bookshelf rather than a center provide a better sound in your opinion, or just a better value?

-spc

#34865 02/23/04 10:23 PM
scier Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
> You've well phrased the issues.

> Note the VP150 is fairly large and weighs 17lbs. Make your
> measurements carefully. If TV mounted, verify your
> TV will support the weight and size.

I'll have a projector and screen in this room, so that won't be a problem -- but on the other hand, I have to decide whether to wall mount it or put it on a stand (or could I just put it on the floor, given that the room is carpeted?), so that'll still be a consideration for mounting. For that matter, I'd still have to decide whether to put the M22s on stands (if I choose those over M60s) or wall mount them; I'm assuming that the FMBs will allow enough clearance from the wall to not detract from the sound...

> The system you first stated will sound very good. If you
> ever move to a larger place maybe consider M60s
> then. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the input!

-spc

#34866 02/23/04 10:34 PM
scier Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
> I'm also setting up a '10 year system' and would strongly
> recommend 7.1

Stop that! You're supposed to be helping me trim costs, not increase them! ;-)

The right side of my brain actually keeps whispering about a 7.1 system, but each time the left side sticks its finger in its ear and loudly declares "I'm not listening, lalala" (my left brain isn't terribly mature on occasion). So for now, I'm vaguely planning to leave this as a future upgrade if neccessary (since it's one of those few upgrades that wouldn't obviate the need for anything I'll be buying now). Actually, I too am probably going with a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver w/ DPL IIx, so that'll leave me room to consider augmenting the system with another pair of speakers in the future.

-spc

#34867 02/23/04 10:39 PM
local
local
I had my VP150 on a carpeted floor for a while, tilted upward toward the listening area. It sounded great that way. It's now mounted above my HDTV with full metal bracket, and it sounds no better. Re using a bookshelf speaker like an M3ti for the center, I think that would work fine also. Re M60s, if your listening is truly heavily biased toward HT, the M22/sub config is probably fine.

That said I also agree with the previous poster about M60 and stereo listening. If it turns out you listen to more more music and less HT than you envisioned, M60s would get the nod there. In any event if you have the space M60s are better. Just don't crowd yourself -- block out the floor space carefully and maybe make a cardboard mockup of the M60 to best envision the size. In theory they don't take much more floor space than M22s on stands, but in actuality they feel bigger.

Either configuration will give you really great sound. You'll be limited more by source material quality than speaker/amp issues at that point.

#34868 02/23/04 10:39 PM
scier Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
> How about a third choice? Since you're trying to trim
> costs a little, you should consider the M22/QS4.

Somehow I didn't expect people to reply that I should get the more modest versions of both.

> The M60's need some breathing room to really sound their
> best. So the M22's (with a sub) will do just fine, and save
> you money.

That's becoming more of a possibility by the minute; two out of three so far suggest the M22s's sound will be just as good as the M60 in my space. Thanks for lending your thoughts!

-spc

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020