Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: SVS box sub as a replacement to my EP500?
tomtuttle #349033 05/24/11 01:31 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I'd certainly include eD in the group to consider.

I often forget how shipping and duties might change the equation in Canada. This could be an issue for both eD and CHT. My sense is that SVS may have this problem solved a little better. How about Hsu?

Just to add a few more details about ED and/or HSU and importation of their products especially in to Canada. ED like Axiom, includes the shipping cost in their price. HSU has extra shipping charges. In either case IF the product is built in the US(in the case of ED all of their models) they are NOT subject to customs and duties. The problem with extra costs comes with the shipping companies and in the case of ED, they use "UPS Ground" which adds a ridiculous brokerage fee along with the normal sales taxes. I have never understood how they can get away with this since the item is NOT subject to customs and duties so why is there an extra charge for an item that doesn't have to be cleared anyway? A real scam.

casey01 #349038 05/24/11 02:24 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: casey01

I often forget how shipping and duties might change the equation in Canada. This could be an issue for both eD and CHT. My sense is that SVS may have this problem solved a little better. How about Hsu?

Just to add a few more details about ED and/or HSU and importation of their products especially in to Canada. ED like Axiom, includes the shipping cost in their price. HSU has extra shipping charges. In either case IF the product is built in the US(in the case of ED all of their models) they are NOT subject to customs and duties. The problem with extra costs comes with the shipping companies and in the case of ED, they use "UPS Ground" which adds a ridiculous brokerage fee along with the normal sales taxes. I have never understood how they can get away with this since the item is NOT subject to customs and duties so why is there an extra charge for an item that doesn't have to be cleared anyway? A real scam.

But the shipment DOES have to be cleared with customs. In this case with UPS ground, UPS would be brokering the shipment. UPS has outrageous brokerage charges especially if you use ground shipment. For multiple items ground might be cost-effective, but for one item you will get hosed with UPS ground. The fee ultimately depends on the value of the item and the shipping company you are dealing with. Taxes are also applied to this charge.

You can also broker the shipment yourself to avoid this charge but it can be a hassle for most people.

If the product says made in Canada, United States or Mexico they are a part of NAFTA. So no duty applies. Any other country is subject to duty charges.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #349049 05/24/11 12:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Warranty issues should also be checked if ordering from the states as some of the sub manufacturers might not honour the warranty if shipped out of the US.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #349052 05/24/11 01:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That is an excellent point. Same goes for receiving any defective or damaged products. What's the procedure and is there any cost to you as the customer for returning it?

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #349057 05/24/11 01:55 PM
veteran
veteran

BlueJays1 #349061 05/24/11 03:27 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
Originally Posted By: casey01

But the shipment DOES have to be cleared with customs. In this case with UPS ground, UPS would be brokering the shipment. UPS has outrageous brokerage charges especially if you use ground shipment. For multiple items ground might be cost-effective, but for one item you will get hosed with UPS ground. The fee ultimately depends on the value of the item and the shipping company you are dealing with. Taxes are also applied to this charge.

You can also broker the shipment yourself to avoid this charge but it can be a hassle for most people.

If the product says made in Canada, United States or Mexico they are a part of NAFTA. So no duty applies. Any other country is subject to duty charges.

You are absolutely dead-on in that it still has to be cleared. My beef with UPS is the amount they charge and HOW they come up with that charge. They state, as you mentioned, it is a percentage of the value of the shipment but just try to find out exactly what that percentage is and from my experience getting an exact answer on how they come up with that number has been an exercise in futility.

Zak #349065 05/24/11 04:26 PM
devotee
devotee
Uhmm the SVS at $1900 and shipping from Sonic Boom it is not a $1500 sub whereas the EP500 is cloese to $1200tx incl and shipping
I too am really interested in dual SVS 13's but is there a really noticable difference of and extra $2000 for the SVS's
Originally Posted By: Zak
I've been having some troubles with my EP500 sub: My poor EP500! Is it dead?
and I'm at the point where I'm starting to consider a replacement sub.

I've been looking at the SVS box subs and from what I have read they seem to make a very nice sub.
Can anyone recommend an SVS box sub that would compare to the EP500 and also match up well with my existing speakers (M60's, VP150, QS8's)?

I'm looking at the PB12-Plus and the SB13-Plus box subs but any other recommendations would be welcome.
I'd like to stay under $1,500 if possible.

PB12-Plus

SB13-Plus

Thanks,
Zak

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
BlueJays1 #349066 05/24/11 04:33 PM
devotee
devotee
Don't kid yourself on that one, I recieved my M&K speakers from a private sale a few weeks ago. He was in Georgia I live in NS and when they got here I had to pay additional brokerage fees, 6.5% duty and they are made in the USA.
I have recieved almost all my drum cymbals from Zildjian from people in the USA and never paid brokerage or duties.Same as some clothing.
I think they try and nail electronics more, then again a freind up the road recieved some music gear and nothing. depends on who the shipping is by too. Fedex nails you everytime, USPS hardly

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
axiom_man #349070 05/24/11 05:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The catch there is that it was a private sale. Customs will not charge duty on items that fall under NAFTA (it has to be properly disclosed). However in your case I imagine they were not the original manufacturer boxes nor said made in USA on them. The country where the product was manufactured and (or final assembled/made) has to have those markings from the manufacturer.

You put an item in a generic box and label it so and so. Ship it UPS ground. You will get charged duty.

-Max Payne
axiom_man #349076 05/24/11 07:08 PM
Zak Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted By: axiom_man
Uhmm the SVS at $1900 and shipping from Sonic Boom it is not a $1500 sub whereas the EP500 is cloese to $1200tx incl and shipping

Where did you get $1,900?

The PB12-Plus is $1,584.45.
The SB13-Plus is $1,741.95.
This includes taxes and shipping.

PB12-Plus

SonicBoomAudio
Sub-Total: $1,399.00
Canadian Insured (1 x 130.00lbs) (Western Canada): $110.00
5.0% GST #849551726: $75.45
Total: $1,584.45

SB13-Plus

SonicBoomAudio