Rate Thread
Axiom M80ti vs. Klipsch RF-5
#34942 02/24/04 04:48 AM
Grexx Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I'm looking at the M80ti. I read awesome reviews all over the web; but never had a chance to sample them becuase Axiom is only a Web based company.

I went to sample the Klipsch RF-5 and I really like the sound that's pumping out. At a higher volume; the RF-5's has a tinny sound to it which I will get annoyed very quickly.

Has anyone in this forum tested these two speakers side by side?

Please help.

Thanks.

Re: Axiom M80ti vs. Klipsch RF-5
#34943 02/24/04 05:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
grexx,
See what you can get out of this old post.
Also try searching the forums for Klipsch and see what else comes up.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#34944 02/24/04 02:07 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Grexx,

The Klipsch you mention was one of the speakers I auditioned before ordering my M60s (not the M80s compare you are seeking). I can give you input based on that.

"Tinny" is a close approximation of what the Klipsch sounded like to me, but sharp / harsh / too vivid would need to be combined with that to provide a complete description. Beyond "bright".

In researching the Axioms, I was concerned when I saw the word "bright" used to describe them a few times. After ordering, setting up and breaking in, the Axioms are clearly not bright. Rather works like transparent, clear, concise, full come to mind.

This area is very subjective, and your ears will be the ultimate decision drivers. But the Klipsch is like someone waving a finger in your face while the Axioms are more like having your ears caressed.

I hope this is helpful; it is very difficult to describe a concept like bright or tinny.

#34945 02/24/04 04:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Grexx,
I was very interested in the Klipsch line of speakers in my speaker research. I listened to a friend's set of RF-5's and was impressed. I then went to a Dealer and listened to a set of RF-5's and then a set of RF-7's. The difference was very apparent. I agreed with the dealer when he described the RF-5's as being "something designed in a hurry to make a stepping point between the RF-35 and RF-7...a red headed stepchild with no real design". I too liked the sound that the Klipsch's (RF-7's) put out but after I had the opportunity to listen to the Axiom M60's, I ended up purchasing them along with a VP150 and a set of M22's. The "horn" related Klipsch sound is nice if you like that (I still do) but I found that the Axiom's sound is true to the recording, will still make the hair on the back of your neck and arms stand up and a pair of the M60's cost what one RF-7 (at the best price I could find) cost.

I wanted the best sound I could get without having to break my bank (or the relationship with the wife). I really could not bring myself to shell out the money for the set of Klipsch. I found in the Axiom M60, a sound comparable if not better to the Klipsch RF-7 line, much, much better in a number of other respects. The entire Axiom set cost me half of what the Klipsch would have cost me (even pulling in favors from friends...).

I enjoy listening to a wide variety of music (a lot of it includes horns) and the "blatt" of a horn (my son plays coronet) is very apparent and lifelike with my Axiom's, just not as much "in your face" as they are with Klipsch.

My suggestion is to find someone in your area who has a set of the M80's (or M60's dependant on your receiver) and give them a critical listen. I just got my M60's yesterday and was very impressed with the detail that I now hear that was not reproduced by my previous speakers. As I was setting them up for the first time and having not re-calibrated them from my previous set-up (Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was the first CD played on my Axiom's), my wife walked through the room and said "I don't remember there being a heartbeat on the beginning of that song...", all I could do was smile.

Definitely give Axiom a listen...there is a thread here that lists some of the people who have Axiom's and where they are located...or give Amie an email...She would be glad to help...

Good Luck,

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#34946 02/24/04 11:14 PM
Grexx Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks for the input you guys.

I hear alot of kudos to the M60ti. How big is a difference between the M80ti vs. M60ti in terms of quality and crisp.

I guess the reason I'm asking is; if I can save a couple hundred dollars if the quality is similar.

This is the room size I'm gonna be putting it in. My bonus room is about 200 - 220 Sq Ft. I'll be setting it up about 6-8 ft. apart. And from the couch, it will be about 10 ft.

what do you guys think?

#34947 02/24/04 11:38 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
I just got the M60s about 10 days ago for a room that is about 400 sq ft and with a ceiling that reaches 16 feet in the center, making it over 5000 cu. ft. of space. The M60s sound GREAT!!

Good luck in your decision.

John

#34948 02/24/04 11:55 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Grexx, take advantage of the opportunity to talk to the folks at Axiom. They will absolutely guide you in the right direction. If I was to guess, the M60s would be their suggestion, possibly even the M22s. The size of the room sounds a bit small for the M80s

#34949 02/25/04 01:42 AM
Grexx Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Nobody in Calgary has the M80 or the M60 for me to listen to. So I have to go with the reviews and my gut instinct.
Thanks for all the input.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters