Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Editor's Forum: Planar speakers, dipoles & more
#34968 02/27/04 05:54 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yes, but CSW is not the best sound for the price. Axiom has much better sound for the price. Unfortuantely, I didn't know this when I bought my CSW crap.

Having not heard the M60s vs the MG12s, I can't really compare. However, it is nice to know that the MG12s can be had so inexpensively (relatively speaking). Impressive stuff. I also know that the Maggie MMGWM (or whatever it is) can be had for $300/pair.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#34969 02/27/04 06:17 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
One thing that can be said for planar speakers is that they're exotic... like being the only guy on your all-dog block with a ferret or having an African-American girlfriend in Vermont.

This isn't another planar-bashing message. I'm not personally a big fan of them for my own needs - they're too expensive and require much more attention to detail in placement. I understand those that like their clean mids and highs and the unique styling of ribbons/planars/whathaveyou, but for me, I don't want to have to style a room around a set of speakers (well, unless they start making the mortgage payments).

And Saturn, you have to know that coming into a forum full of owners of traditional speakers that you'll be odd-man out, not everyone that doesn't own a pair of M-Ls or Maggies is secretly waiting for the day they can buy a pair. It's like me walking into a room full of Canadian Alliance members and saying "so... how about that health care?"

Bren R.

#34970 02/27/04 02:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

This isn't another planar-bashing message

Don't get me wrong I did not think this thread was about that. I just had my thoughts on the subject and said my views.

In reply to:

And Saturn, you have to know that coming into a forum full of owners of traditional speakers that you'll be odd-man out, not everyone that doesn't own a pair of M-Ls or Maggies is secretly waiting for the day they can buy a pair. It's like me walking into a room full of Canadian Alliance members and saying "so... how about that health care?"

I don't think I am the odd one out. I do own QS8 and a VP150 and by far I have tested tonnes...over the last 5 years and I still came back to the Axioms. And cost was not much an issue as long as surrounds or the center channel was less than $1500 each. I actually prefered the VP150 over the Maggies center. The VP150 had more punch. I also used to own M22Ti and also M3Ti (for many months) so I do know the Axiom sound and charateristic.

And I have owned or had for many weeks in my living room numerous box speakers..in the ballpark of 12 models in the last 14 years...from different B&W models,different Proac models, Heybrook, Monitor Audio, Acoustic Research, different PMC models...etc
Do I believe that planer/electrostat speakers are the end of all speaker?...definitely not. But I am as passionate about my current planer speakers as you guys are with your Axioms.

People go on here to gather information. I see lots of "I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T BUY INTO THIS MANY YEARS AGO..."
There is lots of those type of information.
I like looking for "Well I have moved on and tried this other brand out and the reason I why I moved on is because of ..... "
This gives you a balance to see whats on the other side of the picture so that when time comes to lay down that hard earned cash you definitely know what your getting into without surprises.

Saturn

#34971 02/27/04 03:15 PM
alan Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
BrenR,

Enjoyed your amusing references to the ferret and the Canadian Alliance. Wasn't there a hilarious scene involving a ferret in either the book or the movie of "Bright Lights, Big City" ?

I really wasn't planar-bashing--over the years, I've been as susceptible to the lure of exotic speaker designs as anyone. Just wanted to point out their strengths and weaknesses. Certainly some planar speakers are capable of superb, uncolored midrange. I've heard Magnaplanars that are very good and several that were awful, and some electrostatics that also fall into both categories.

But dipoles require so much finicky postitioning, and even then they have an odd "phasey" character that seems to shift every time you move your head an inch or two. That was especially true of a pair of Martin-Logan Aerius speakers that a friend had and I've heard that a lot from electrostatics.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#34972 02/27/04 04:18 PM
local
local
I think its great to have members of the forum with broad experience with all kinds of equipment. If only exclusively Axiom owners participated the forum would loose a lot of its value. Being aware of the competition and its advances helps keep Ian having fun developing new speakers, and all of us benefiting from advancing technology.

Mark
Re: Editor's Forum: Planar speakers, dipoles & mor
#34973 02/27/04 04:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's rather humourous Bren.
Blunt, political and yet humourous without being overly distasteful.
Perhaps you are in the wrong profession.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#34974 02/27/04 04:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

And I have owned or had for many weeks in my living room numerous box speakers..in the ballpark of 12 models in the last 14 years.

Does this mean you are searching for perfection Saturn?
Or is it that you just like to have all sorts of speakers just for fun and can never really settle on one sound for long?
I've got a bit of that itch myself. I have 2 main pairs of speakers of different brands and am already looking at a 3rd brand for some other system if i ever have another room in which to build another system.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#34975 02/27/04 05:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Once upon a time, I was the boards "audiophile snob", and took a lot of heat for suggesting that there was significant value in experiencing other brands. While I realize that this is/was sponsored by Axiom, the old thought of " the devil and the priest can't exist if one goes away" (anyone care to place that lyric??) is true.

I strayed away from the board because anyone who seemingly had an opinion that was not dead on Axiom was villified. I have spent decades ENJOYING the hobby of audio, and purchased pieces that I deemed worthy of my money.

Do I own Axiom? Yes
Do I own other speakers? Yes
Do I enjoy them equally? Yes, but in different contexts.
Are there flaws in the Axioms, Missions, and Referenc 3a Supremas? Yes, each has a strenght and weakness.

My point is this - people ask for advice and lean on veteran experiences to help them learn, and begin the journey into audio. Simply stating that Axiom is amazing is wonderful if you feel that way. But a reference point is also helpful. If there is no way to objectively put forth an opinion, what value does this board hold for those seeking advice?

In this thread, I can clearly identify with Saturns comments. Are there better speakers out there than those mentioned? Sure, but that again is a comment by one user. In trying to put forth an opinion based on experience, we all risk being biased. I fondly remember, as Alan stated, good and bad in all technologies pertaining to speakers.

#34976 02/27/04 06:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
so you write comedy too?

#34977 02/27/04 06:25 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Alan, Saturn, BBIBH - just thought this thread needed a bit of levity - for the most part I won't read forums, it's not often you get a good discussion about topics, the Axiom forums are different. There's a very open exchange here, which is a necessity for a company that sells most of their product sound unheard - who would have thought anyone would buy a speaker without listening to it? But here we all are.

Anyone for a chorus of Kumbaya?

Bren R.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082