Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Follow-up on the M3s. Three speaker demo.
#35005 02/25/04 04:22 AM
BigWill Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The 3 speakers I have in my 14x14 gameroom are Axioms M3 ($275), Monitor Audio's Bronze 2 ($400 + tax), and JBL E30 ($200 + tax). The jury is still out as to which speakers will get to stay, but it's down to the Axioms and the Bronzes. The JBLs are still involved in the listening tests, but only as stands for the other two speakers.

The JBLs had that bloated, boomy bass that made me feel like I'd eaten too much spaghetti and had too many beers - so they're out.

The Axioms and MAs sound similar much of the time, but depending on the recording one or the other usually has the edge. The MAs are WAY louder than the M3s, but a few clicks up on the volume knob and problem solved.

When the M3s sound better - like on Al Dimeola's "Kiss My Axe" track #2 or on Devil in a Woodpile's self titled CD - they sound very vibrant and alive while the MAs sound a wee bit chesty and flat. For example, a banjo on the Devil in a Woodpile CD sounds very distant on the MAs, but quite present on the M3s. Not that the Bronzes ever sound bad at all, just not quite as sweet as the M3s.

When the Bronzes sound better - like on Joe Satriani's "Strange Beautiful Music" or Luciano's "Great Controversey" (an incredibly "hot-mastered" newer reggae recording) - the Axioms are a bit too harsh on the top end. With the M3s, Satriani's "wa-wa" effects are largely lost to the cutting edge of the guitar. The hot reggae recording is just plain painful on the M3s (my M60s with sub handle it just fine, however).

Classical is great on either. I listened to some Bach harpsichord concerti (concertos?) and a nicely recorded disc of Handel favorites. The two speakers sound very similar and both excellent.

The Bronzes have more bass than the M3s, but not as much as the Monitor Audio Silver 2s ($750). I made the saleslady move the Bronzes into the same room as the Silvers the day I bought them. IMO the Bronzes are every bit their equal, but without the floppy, incongruous bass of the Silver 2s. Axioms M3s, of course, also have tight wonderful bass.

I'm not sure which speakers are going to stay, but I would be happy with either (having solved the acoustic problems in the square, hard room).

Just my 2 cents regarding something on topic (as opposed to beer, politics, etc...).

Re: Follow-up on the M3s. Three speaker demo.
#35006 02/25/04 05:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow.
The detail of the review, was for lack of a better word, detailed.
I would love to hear the Bronzes. I would actually love to hear one of each from the Bronze, Silver and Gold series that MA offers. That would be a great comparison.

I would say choose the Bronzes if they had the wood veneer so at least the cost would be justified, but considering the Bronzes are also vinyl wrapped, then at this point, it is hard to make the call. I guess it may depend on how much of your music sounds better on the Bronze vs. the M3s.
That could make for one long listening session!

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#35007 02/25/04 05:55 AM
shareholder in the making
That's a great review! I love the description of bloated bass. are you planning on putting in a sub?

Am I wrong in thinking that you've also got M22s? How do those compare to the M3s? I'm kind of wondering how they sound in comparison... Maybe I'll just have to buy those. Anyone know what the shipping-back cost is from CA?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#35008 03/02/04 02:37 AM
BigWill Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I feel like a dork bumping my own weak thread, but there have been some further developments. With about 10 days to make up my mind on the M3s, it appears they may be staying. While listening to some Bob Marley the Bronzes showed some cabinet resonances that I do not care for.
The area the Bronzes had the greatest edge was in the deep bass frequencies, so I hauled out an old (ca.1990) Bose bass module to use as a stand and thought, "Why not try to use this thing as a stand and a sub?"
Lo and behold it seems to work. Didn't seem to muddy up the midrange (though I only had time to listen to one song) and has provided a touch more thump, which the M3s (or any bookshelf speakers) could use.
Oh, and shipping the M3s from Corona, Ca., back to Canada would have been $33 or so.

It came down to:
Monitor Audio Bronze 2 ($400 + tax + shipping M3s back to Great White North) for about $465.
OR
Axiom M3s paired with a butt-kickin' antique Bose bass module for $275.

#35009 03/02/04 02:59 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Not a weak thread at all. Just not one that produces a lot of questions or responses. I enjoy reading reviews and thoughts concerning Axioms and other speakers. Thanks for posting Mark.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#35010 03/02/04 03:00 AM
Yes, there seems to be remarkably little interest in the M3/40/50s these days....

#35011 03/02/04 04:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hey BigWill,

I was just in Corona this past weekend golfing at Green River, and then dinner at Miguel's.

Just an FYI, the Bronze B2's can be had in Orange County for under $350/pr.

#35012 03/02/04 12:37 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
In reply to:

Yes, there seems to be remarkably little interest in the M3/40/50s these days....

I would like to hear this "line". I wonder what the different sound sounds like. I might need to check the auditions thread.

#35013 03/02/04 04:41 PM
D
frequent flier
frequent flier
D
Yes, I agree. There is not enough talk about the "laid back" line. I am on the verge of getting a pair of 3ti for a two channel bedroom set and have been try to glean as much as I can about them from posts here. The endless rave wave for the 22ti has been the main reason I have not yet pulled the trigger on the 3's. Funny that one Axiom speaker is stopping me from getting another! I want to know honestly if the difference in midrange clarity can only be heard in extensive, direct AB comparison or if it is fairly minimal. I like what I hear about the bass from the 3ti making it a better all-round performer, but I want to know if I would really be giving up all that much if I go with the 3ti. If anyone has any thoughts on the 3ti vs. 22ti for a two channel, music only setup, please speak now before the
"laid back" line gets crushed under the next wave of enthusiasm for the 22/60/80's

#35014 03/02/04 04:59 PM
Yeah, I did a search on M40 reviews last night. About a year (or 2?) ago, someone compared the M40, 50, and 80. Apparently the 40 came out on top, where price was concerned, and beat the 50 in most categories. If you search for showdown and M40, seaching for all posts, you should find it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (chapin99, Cork), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup