Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: LOTR extended version
nickbuol #351220 06/30/11 01:30 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I only saw the first part of FOTR and a couple of scenes of the second part. I think the picture quality is a big improvement over the DVD. As for the green tint, it's not noticeable everywhere but in some shots, the skin tones seem a bit off. Where I find it the noticeable is when there is some white background like snow.
Keep in mind that if I hadn't read the reviews I would have probably never noticed that but since I know it's there, obviously my mind is looking for it.

As for the audio, it was already excellent on the DVDs but it seems to me that the LFE is stronger on the BD. It is definitely demo worthy.

@Catbrat: typically, when studios recognize that they made a mistake on the transfer, they'll make an announce stating that I exchange program will be in place for people that already purchased the movies to have a proper transfer. You would then call a number, explain the situation and they they would have you send the discs with a proof of purchase. That happened to me already twice, for Gladiator and the Matrix trilogy (Revolutions disc although in this case I didn't have to send the disc back)

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."
bdpf #351221 06/30/11 01:45 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks. Never heard of this exchange program. I've never seen any of the announcements either. Where do you find the announcements?

Since I heard it was a yellow tinting problem, I was looking for extra yellow and yup I seen extra yellow in parts of the movie, but no extra green. I wasn't looking for green. Funny how we only see what we are looking for.

CatBrat #351222 06/30/11 02:43 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Usually, when I google for reviews, the reviewer will already mention about the problem, that is the case for FOTR with the green tint (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-Blu-ray/19929/#Review), and that was the case for Gladiator and the excessive DNR, color change and disappearing arrows (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gladiator-Blu-ray/4735/#Review). Then, if it is a long awaited high expectation movie, it is just a matter of time before the studios announce an exchange program and the info can usually be found by googling it or in audio/video forums.
Here is a list of a few movies that had an exchange program http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-...t-programs.html
Other movies that have issues are sometimes re-released a few month later as remastered edition (ie: Gangs of New York, The Fifth Element)

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."
bdpf #351223 06/30/11 03:03 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks. I wasn't aware of these. I ordered the missing episode guide for my Firefly blu-ray edition. I was keeping my DVD set, so I could reference the guide with it. I didn't know I was missing one until I read about it in your last reference.

CatBrat #351244 06/30/11 06:16 PM
devotee
devotee
I watched FOTR last night and thought it looked and sounded fantastic! After reading all the noise about the green tint and whatnot, I didn't find it bothered me at all. I did spot it in a few scenes but not sure if I would have noticed had I not heard about the controversy. I did find the movie appeared somewhat dark at times, scenes like the fighting in Moria, I couldn't tell what was happening some of the time. I found that far more disturbing than any green tint. Anyone else notice that?

Some of the forums, especially blu-ray.com and avs went totally apesh@t and overboard! I found the discussion at hometheaterforum to be much more informative and civil. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/th...tion-in-blu-ray

DanielBMe #351250 06/30/11 06:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: DanielBMe
I watched FOTR last night and thought it looked and sounded fantastic! After reading all the noise about the green tint and whatnot, I didn't find it bothered me at all. I did spot it in a few scenes but not sure if I would have noticed had I not heard about the controversy. I did find the movie appeared somewhat dark at times, scenes like the fighting in Moria, I couldn't tell what was happening some of the time. I found that far more disturbing than any green tint. Anyone else notice that?

Some of the forums, especially blu-ray.com and avs went totally apesh@t and overboard! I found the discussion at hometheaterforum to be much more informative and civil. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/th...tion-in-blu-ray

I found the opposite. In the scenes in the Mines of Moria I thought the black levels were far better than in the DVD version. There were no times when I couldn’t vividly see the image except where it seemed intended like early close-ups of Gandalf when only his face is lit. The contrast also seemed much better in those scenes. Also there seemed to be more depth of colour which could also have been attributable to the better black levels. Add to that the sharper looking image and the entire effect was much more 3 dimensional.

Note I’ve only looked at it on my 134”screen so I’m not sure what if any differences I would oneitce on my 46” one.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #351252 06/30/11 06:46 PM
devotee
devotee
"Note I’ve only looked at it on my 134”screen so I’m not sure what if any differences I would oneitce on my 46” one"

Gee I feel so small with only 42...

I did read a few other posts where others noticed the darkness too. It could also just be that my tv is not properly calibrated. I did it awhile ago (uears_ with DVD Essentials not even the HD version. Is there a free calibration tool one can download from thet net? I use an HTPC so it would be pretty easy to use.

Last edited by DanielBMe; 06/30/11 06:46 PM.
DanielBMe #351255 06/30/11 07:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I’m not sure about calibration tools. I use my projector a lot so the image needs re-calibrated quite often. So I’ve just taken to using the split screen feature on my projector to calibrate for different inputs since I use different calibrations for movies and video games. I may not be getting a “perfect” image doing this but I do get the perfect image for me. wink

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #351943 07/16/11 10:40 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
i said earlier on this thread that i wouldn't buy LOTR Extended on BR.

i could not resist and bought it today; cheaper on amazon.ca than on amazon.com by about $5.

you guys can all tell me i lie all the time if you wish.

i already had the DVD version which is very good looking.

J. B. #351953 07/17/11 07:51 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I at least feel really bad about buying it. I don't know if I'll even be able to make myself watch any of them all the way through. Ha ha.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters