Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: which location for mounting the single QS8v3?
jakewash #351218 06/30/11 01:17 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted By: jakewash
I would vote for the closer position for the Q series and if you wanted to run a direct radiating speaker I would have said the farther position as there would be ample room for sound dispersion. I feel the farther away the Q's are from the listener you loose some impact from them due to their design, 3-4 ft is ideal for a QS and that 9' mark just might be too far, IMO.

Like the others have stated I would try to test it out at the various positions with a ladder and/or someone holding the speaker if necessary.

again, you bring up very valid points. i believe with proper calibration the QS in the back even at that distance will still make a good impact. yeah, i might have to raise the level of that channel a bit but the intent is to not necessarily have blairing sound firing out of the thing but to ensure that it's enough sound and it makes you get a true sense of depth in the surround field. yes i have no doubt that a direct radiating speaker would have done a great job. i do believe that what the QS offers is a much wider sound field overall.

i will try to do the test you mentioned and there is a way that i can temporarily hang the QS at the 4' mark to do the test. i promise to let you know which i like best and why.

SonySXRD55"
Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
RickF #351219 06/30/11 01:22 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted By: RickF
I have a pair of v2QS8's in a 7.2 system that set almost 8' in back of the primary listening position that I feel do an excellent job of getting the sound to the listening area. I did experiment with a pair of M60v2's as back surrounds but personally felt the QS8's did a better job ... but of course what works for me may not suit other's personal taste.

thank you rickF for your input especially since you are a user of more than 5 channels and you use the QS series as back's so your opinion carries some real weight in my decision making.

i'll have to wait until after i move and get settled to actually do any installation and testing so thanks to all this feedback i'm getting i think my heads gonna blow up with anticipation!

the speaker will be here today.

SonySXRD55"
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
solarrdadd #351236 06/30/11 05:43 PM
buff
buff
Anticipation - it is both a good thing and bad thing at the same time but really worth the wait!!!

Brent Tombari
Axiom Audio Expert
Brent #351626 07/10/11 07:15 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
here is a quick update. i received the QS8v3 about a week and some odd change ago and took it out of the box to inspect for damage (it was undamaged, always a good thing!) then put it back in the box till later. well, i had some free time so i connected it up to my front left (removing my M2v3) for a power test and it sounded great; so I now don't have to worry about it not working when powered!

i am not going to be able to test it in the new place until around the second week of August. I have listened to many of you and think i will do what was recommended to me by many. i'll place it temporarily in both locations at 4' and at 14' (yes, it turns out actually 14' away from the surround side QS8's than i first realized) then using a 6 or 7 channel movie i'll test several things and see which i like best then do a full calibration with the pre-amp and call it a day!

keep one thing in mind, i know that 14' might be a hike for the QS8v3 speaker, but, i believe it's possible with the proper calibration and adjustments that even at that distance i might be able to get what i want. which is not necessarily a hugh sound but if i can create enough audio that will constantly make me and my quess turn (or think to turn) our heads to look in back of us wondering what that noise is then i'll be thrilled. i can always compensate for loudness by raising the level after Audyssey has completed it's calibration. so what i'm saying is that the farthest distance between the two (14') is by no means not possible.

i'll supply results and pictures at that time. thanks to everyone here at the forum and to everyone at Axiom for your help and the great products i love so much!

i'll keep you all posted.

SonySXRD55"
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
solarrdadd #384345 10/19/12 12:10 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
howdy and i know it's been a while with this old thread. but, after having the speakers for quite a while, i have decided to audition a pair of M2v3 on-wall speakers for my surround backs. first i want to make sure everyone understands that there is nothing wrong with the QS8v3's i am currently using and they are great speakers.

i want to see if i get a better forward projection with the M2v3 on-walls as they are directional. my seating from the current rear wall is between 12' & 15' away and while the speakers create a great soundfield i think it's just too far back for me to hear the effects well enough. even with good calibration, and the nature of the way that the QS line works the rears have to be almost "super hot" to really get what i want out of them and at that point they are drowning out the sides. with the rears i feel i do need some directionality and front facing drivers will give it to me.

my daughter is all for it because she will get the QS8v3's if this works out for her which she will have a 5 channel system with the 2-QS8v3, 2-M2v3 and a VP-100v2 and a small sub (she's a college student and got it for free so she is well ahead of the curve!)

i'll install them and try them out on movies that i've listend to already with 7 channel sound using the QS8's. i feel that (as some have indicated) the use of front firing (directional) speakers are best for surround backs. i've seen this mentioned many times from Dolby or DTS speaker setups; the rears were always front firing.

i'm sure if my room wasn't as deep as it is that the QS speakers would be perfect. as they are i think the M2v3 on-wall's will work as i want them too.

i'll keep you guys posted and of course, i can always send them back! my daughter will not be very happy to hear about that! frown

people, feel free to chime in. i hope to have the speakers by or before the end of next week. i just ordered them about 1 hour ago!

SonySXRD55"
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
solarrdadd #384347 10/19/12 12:41 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My experience is that with that much distance behind you direct radiating speakers will likely work better. In my rooms I’ve found the sweet spot for using QS8s as rear speakers is about 5-7 feet however, I’m sure that is also room (i.e. wall ceiling seating etc. . .) dependent. The only way you will know is to compare them.

Also IMO take general recommendations from Dolby, DTS and Audyssey with a grain of salt. Their recommendations are a good starting point but what really works best for a given situation is very dependent.

I’ve been considering trying out my M2s again on the back wall because with the depth of my room the panning of destrete sounds like voices in video games isn’t moving as smoothly across the back as around the rest of the room. They don’t quite jump from the left to the right side but the pan across the back is pretty quick. However, it might be just as simple as bumping up the sound level of the rear speakers a little.

The one problem I do find with using direct radiating speakers as rears is the its difficult to tell if a sound that’s supposed to be directly behind you actually is and not in front of you. When something pans like in a video game that’s not a problem because you hear it moving across the back OTOH if the sound starts there or stays there it’s hard to tell it’s behind you and not directly in front.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #384349 10/19/12 12:50 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted By: grunt
My experience is that with that much distance behind you direct radiating speakers will likely work better. In my rooms I’ve found the sweet spot for using QS8s as rear speakers is about 5-7 feet however, I’m sure that is also room (i.e. wall ceiling seating etc. . .) dependent. The only way you will know is to compare them.

Also IMO take general recommendations from Dolby, DTS and Audyssey with a grain of salt. Their recommendations are a good starting point but what really works best for a given situation is very dependent.

I’ve been considering trying out my M2s again on the back wall because with the depth of my room the panning of destrete sounds like voices in video games isn’t moving as smoothly across the back as around the rest of the room. They don’t quite jump from the left to the right side but the pan across the back is pretty quick. However, it might be just as simple as bumping up the sound level of the rear speakers a little.

The one problem I do find with using direct radiating speakers as rears is the its difficult to tell if a sound that’s supposed to be directly behind you actually is and not in front of you. When something pans like in a video game that’s not a problem because you hear it moving across the back OTOH if the sound starts there or stays there it’s hard to tell it’s behind you and not directly in front.

thanks for your input Grunt. how have you been buddy? i only referenced Dolby & DTS because they both do recommend for SB use that direct radiating speakers were best. i also see other folks with really deep rooms do the same and probably for the same reasons i am moving to them.

the QS8's i'm using for sides will of course stay as those incredible creatures create the best surround field i've ever heard. however from almost 15' from the listening position, i need directionality!

i'll keep ya posted buddy!

SonySXRD55"
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
solarrdadd #384460 10/21/12 05:49 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
I second what grunt said and I am looking forward to your thoughts on the differences you find.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #384682 10/25/12 01:56 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
tracking says my M2v3 on-wall speakers should be here tomorrow. if they do, i'll install them over the weekend, slap in a couple of 7 channel movies (Transformers 3, Prometheus, Thor, Avengers) and get back to you guys with a full review of the speakers themselves and how I think they sound in relation to the QS8v3 at the given long distance i have from the back wall. grin

SonySXRD55"
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
solarrdadd #384823 10/29/12 11:08 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
i got the speakers friday. i was able to simply swap them for the QS8v3's since the power/mounting is the same and that took all of 1 minute or so! wink

while i haven't re-calibrated the system yet, i did put on a couple of movies that were 7.1 and tried it out and the difference was immediate. i could hear channels 6&7 better than before and the effect was better given their distance from the main listening location.

i'll probably won't do a calibration for a while. we've got a lot of stuff upstairs from out of the basement because of the storm Sandy here along the East Coast. we have had flooding before and were being extra careful.

so hopefully in the next couple of weeks i'll do a re-calibration of the system and get back to you guys with a full report. with the brief testing i did with the movies i mentioned in the previous post, i am very happy with what i have heard!

SonySXRD55"
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939