Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Gang of Six Budget Plan, try to keep it civil
BobKay #352231 07/21/11 06:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: michael_d
You do your liberal party proud with this spew of ignorant nonsense and name calling.

Originally Posted By: BobKay
Umm, isn't that pretty close to name calling?

When you started a 4th of July thread, Michael, you began it by reproducing a Reagan speech. Do you realize that you instantly politicized the thread out of the gate? That's like dumping a load of bricks on a shrew to make a point.

Some people who are not white, not male, not middle class, not straight, not Christian and not native born (especially Grenadians, Nicaraguans, Salvadorans, Colombians, Panamanians, East Timorese....) have no warm and fuzzy's about Ronnie.

Then I got taken down for making a joke and "ruining" the sanctity of the Holyday, which apprently, was not supposed to be MY holiday.

Everyone's thoughts are valid and deserve a forum.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Reagan was a quack, and it's apparent from Michael's posts that he only wants to read right-wing views on this forum. He's spat off with me about my "left-wing rhetoric" before.

We just need to be more mindful that we each do not come from the same Bolivian Vicuna lineage as Cam's family.

Okay, enough already smile !

Originally Posted By: pmbuko
That headspace is pretty much where I was way back when when you and I butted heads, Mike. smile Perhaps he'll learn.

Learn what?

Originally Posted By: medic8r
Though I must say that I found myself nodding in agreement with just about everything Terry said ...

Yup.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
audiosavant #352233 07/21/11 06:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I like charts too. What about this one?

CatBrat #352234 07/21/11 06:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The reason for that amount of the debt is the "bailout" which was put in place by the Bush administration in his last days and supported by BOTH Obama and McCain if either became president. The debt wouldn't be any different if McCain was in office as he supported this as well. The more important question is why was there a bailout, why was this sort of policy needed and what and who is responsible for getting the economy to that point?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
CatBrat #352236 07/21/11 06:57 PM
devotee
devotee
Yep. Charts are a good thing. Cold hard data is appreciated around here.

Here's a chart that shows the monthly job losses since the start of the "Great Recession" with an interesting twist: red columns point to monthly job totals under the Bush administration, while blue columns reflect job totals under the Obama administration.

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #352239 07/21/11 07:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Here's an excellent article (includes numerous sources) on 10 reasons why Obama is just as bad or worse than Bush.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #352241 07/21/11 08:56 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M

When you started a 4th of July thread, Michael, you began it by reproducing a Reagan speech. Do you realize that you instantly politicized the thread out of the gate? That's like dumping a load of bricks on a shrew to make a point.

Oh give me a brake Bob….. That’s generalization to the tenth. You’re bigger than that and you should know me better. Savant’s post was completely filled with overly biased opinions stated as facts with name calling, and it certainly wasn’t conservative in nature.

Until his post, all others were civil and respectful.

My Forth of July thread, if you would have taken the time to read past the name “Reagan”, was about the revolution, the day that July 4 is supposed to recognize. I neither supported him or denounced him. I just thought his speech was appropriate. To call that political is a stretch of inordinate proportions to support whatever agenda you happen to have towards me at this particular moment.

I am neither liberal or conservative. I am neither a Republican or a Democrat. I look to the person, what that person stands for without any regard to that person’s political party allegiance. Anyone who wants to try and call me one or the other would be mistaken. I look at both sides. In fact, the quote I posted above is clearly a quote that does not support either side, whether you call them liberal / democratic or conservative / republican.

That headspace is pretty much where I was way back when you and I butted heads, Mike. smile

We butted heads? I’ve forgotten and have gone so far as to extend to you an invitation to stay in my home, why haven’t you? I don’t understand your term headspace.

Originally Posted By: audiosavant

I think we need a viable third party. A middle class/labor party of some kind. A "workers" party if you will (but I'm sure that sounds way too "commie" for you).

You know... a political party for the small guy. A party for people who are not wealthy or poor. People who actually work for a living and don't have access to the power that the rich do or the programs that the poor have.

You didn’t read the quote I posted either, apparently. There was a time when we had more than two parties.

Just where do you think I reside in the economic food chain? Ever bother to ask or even care? I have calluses on my hands and the only “deduction” I have is a slew of charitable donations, every year, and the mortgage interest on my home, with no second home.

I would rather have a simple flat tax, if you really want to know how I feel about it.

Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople

Agreed wholeheartedly. Reagan was a quack, and it's apparent from Michael's posts that he only wants to read right-wing views on this forum. He's spat off with me about my "left-wing rhetoric" before.

Apparent? You branding me now Cam? No, I don’t want to read either. If you recall, I “spat off” after you went on one of your rants about how evil and F-ed up the USA is. Feel free to call me a patriot, as I am one and I don’t visit this sight to read anti-US comments from folks who can only see one side of a situation, the side they happen to agree with.

michael_d #352244 07/21/11 09:46 PM
devotee
devotee

I think we need a viable third party. A middle class/labor party of some kind. A "workers" party if you will (but I'm sure that sounds way too "commie" for you).

You know... a political party for the small guy. A party for people who are not wealthy or poor. People who actually work for a living and don't have access to the power that the rich do or the programs that the poor have.

You didn’t read the quote I posted either, apparently. There was a time when we had more than two parties.

Oh yes I did read it! But that was in the past, man. We need a viable new third party.

But we're stuck with the two party system for now. We gotta make changes within those two camps. Unless you have some better ideas.

Just where do you think I reside in the economic food chain? Ever bother to ask or even care? I have calluses on my hands and the only “deduction” I have is a slew of charitable donations, every year, and the mortgage interest on my home, with no second home.

I care. I assume most of us here on the Axiom forum are about average. Not really rich, not too poor (we have HT and computer access for instance). Just working stiffs. All of us. I just want and deserve to live like a wealthy playboy!

But truthfully, I'm try to live a Burt Reynolds lifestyle on a Mac Davis budget... grin

I'm with you brother on mortgage interest deductions. I need those myself. I'm self-employed and I pay a bunch of taxes. Their talking about getting rid of or lowering the amount you can deduct in this budget plan. That pisses me off.

We can bail out Wall Street, but the average American gets to pay the bill. Same with those two horrible war adventures. Wrap that crap up and we'll have a lot more money for the country. The MIC is firmly entrenched in both parties. Gotta have a strong military or else the world won't fear us! States are going broke and Republican governors wanna fire teachers, firemen and cops and give tax breaks to corporations so they can create those mythical high paying jobs. Washington wants to balance the budget on the backs of hard working Americans. That's why I'm for raising the taxes on the wealthiest top percent. They can afford it. They should be willing to help America out. It's the patriotic thing to do. grin

I would rather have a simple flat tax, if you really want to know how I feel about it.

I think that might be an interesting solution. Simplifying the tax code as well.

As long as it's not that "fair" tax idea. That thing is anything but fair.

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

michael_d #352245 07/21/11 09:53 PM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
I'll try and get this back on track before it gets any more personal...

Truth be told, the deficit is almost meaningless in and of itself FOR NOW. The U.S. government is still able to issue debt at an extraordinarily low rate, with no evidence of that changing anytime soon (unless no bill is passed before Aug 2). Furthermore, a massive component of the deficit is cyclical i.e. lost revenues because of unemployment and poor economic growth, combined with the automatic stabilizers such as EI (which has been extended on several occasions).

Even the "stimulus" isn't that big a deal, as it was predominantly a small series of tax cuts and bailout of the states, with roughly 1/3 devoted to research and infrastructure programs. All of these measures are considered by reputable economists to be good bang for the dollar, to say nothing of the "future investment" aspect of keeping schools open, etc. The problem with the stimulus is that it was too small to do anything other than prevent a depression, rather than promote real job growth.

The real, long-term deficit crisis is related to: 1) the structural deficit i.e. taxes have been too low to support spending since long before the recession, and 2) health spending projections, which show no signs of slowing down. Social Security could almost certainly be made solvent with minor adjustments to the rules and figures. If the Gang of Six deal can add some sanity into both of these problems, which for whatever reason couldn't get put into the health bill, the U.S. will actually be demonstrating to the world it's capable of keeping its head on straight, if not getting its $h!t together.

I would also argue that these problems aren't caused by "right wing crazies" or the primary system...no matter how much influence Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, et al. seem to believe they have, they've never been able to deliver a nomination for the Republicans or against the Dems, and their collective audience is probably no more than 10% of the population (few of which would ever be considered undecided/independent voters).

audiosavant #352247 07/21/11 11:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yep. Charts are a good thing. Cold hard data is appreciated around here.

OOooooh!! Chart Wars. When do we get to the part where Ronnie says: "Barak, I am your father"

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
michael_d #352252 07/22/11 03:01 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making

That headspace is pretty much where I was way back when you and I butted heads, Mike. smile

We butted heads? I’ve forgotten and have gone so far as to extend to you an invitation to stay in my home, why haven’t you? I don’t understand your term headspace.

Stupid politics. frown I was bringing up the past simply to contrast it to where we are today -- beyond the animosity. If you're ever in the DC area, my door is open. smile

Headspace is basically the same thing as mindset.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters