Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The Wife and I started a new business last year.
BlueJays1 #353809 08/30/11 09:17 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Funny you mentioned that, just this morning I was in Walmart and I saw someone buying a big bag of O'Roy, and it was all I could do not to stop him and say " what on earth are you feeding your best friend".

If Sam Walton knew what they put in the food that was named after his fav. hunting dog, he would roll over in this grave.

pn

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #353810 08/30/11 09:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective asked that all important question.

What do you feed your dog?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #353811 08/30/11 09:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I buy primarily Purina Cat Chow indoor formula.

Here's the ingredients:

Corn meal, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, soy flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), powdered cellulose, animal liver flavor, soybean hulls, malt extract, calcium carbonate, phosphoric acid, salt, choline chloride, potassium chloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, parsley flakes, niacin, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), copper sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

CatBrat #353812 08/30/11 09:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm sorry to say but the first few ingredients alone show this to be poor quality ingredients wise and its gets worse after that. A protein should be listed first. Any time meal is used after an ingredient is not a good thing especially when the first ingredient is corn (a filler) which is not a suitable food for cats and or dogs.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #353813 08/30/11 09:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
INGREDIENTS
Fresh boneless chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, fresh pacific salmon (a natural source of DHA and EPA), herring meal, sweet potato, peas, fresh lake whitefish, fresh northern walleye, chicken fat (naturally preserved with vitamin E and citric acid), chicken liver, salmon meal, fresh turkey, fresh whole eggs, fresh deboned herring, sun-cured alfalfa, salmon oil, chicory root, dehydrated organic kelp, pumpkin, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, saskatoon berries, black currants, choline chloride, psyllium, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, sea salt, vitamin supplements (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin C, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12), mineral supplements (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium), dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

This is in contrast the difference in which you should see between a good food and bad food ingredients wise however this is a dog food. Sorry, I don't do cats.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #353814 08/30/11 09:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm searching for a good quality cat food on internet, but I'm not coming up with anything that's a consistent answer. What one says is good, another one says is bad. I'm going to go to Petsmart down the street now and read some of the ingredient labels.

Last edited by CatBrat; 08/30/11 09:50 PM.
CatBrat #353815 08/30/11 10:02 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
It is difficult sometimes. Remember that companies like Iams and Eukenuba are owned by Proctor and Gamble. And I think Purina is owned by Nestle. These are large publicly traded co-corporations that are more interested in keeping there share holders happy than you or your pet. The problem is many of the vets and articles on the web are sponsored by these companies. The first place to start CatBrat is where you are shopping for your pet food. If you are getting it from box store or supermarket, it's probably not a good food.

Follow my logic. Your house cat is 99.5 percent the same as a lion, tiger, or any other wild cat. These cats have thrived in the wild for millions of years feasting on game, small animals, elk, deer, antelope, etc. Unlike dogs, which are 99.5% wolf, wild cats when they take down a deer do not eat the gut. Wolves do, this is for the plant based carbohydrates. So your cat needs the same protiens that a lion or tiger needs. That mean meat. Meat from fish, chicken, or even beef. Let me ask you this, when was the last time you saw a pride of lions, or pack of wolves having a corn roast, or attending a been festival.

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #353816 08/30/11 10:11 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Here is the problem with corn, it isn't digestible by cats or dogs. It makes you dog feel full, but it is also a fiber and a very good one at that. So it pushes the food through the intestines so quickly that the intestines can't absorb all the nutrients of the food. This forced you to feed more often to get the same amount of nutrients to the cat. The is a huge problem, first, is it costing you more, because you have to feed more, it also requires more trips to the litter box, or the back yard if your a dog owner. But it also increased the daily amount of sugars and fats and this can cause a whole host of medical issues down the road, like obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, liver failure and possibly cancer.

We have people come in the store and see the food we have and then say, "well he's been on Science Diet for 5 years now, he likes it and it hasn't hurt him." That is like saying, "I haven't gotten the oil changed on my car in a couple of years, it still runs, so i am good."

We just shake our had as they walk out the door.

pn

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #353817 08/30/11 10:13 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Feeding you pet grocery store brand pet foods is like you and I eating fast food everyday. If you saw the movie a few years ago, you know what that will do to you.

pn

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #353818 08/30/11 11:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Back from the pet store with a bag of Wellness Indoor Health.

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Whitefish Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Oat Fiber, Chicken Liver, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Cranberries, Olive Oil, Chicory Root Extract, Cranberry Extract Powder, Cranberry Fiber, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta&ampampampshyCarotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, L-Carnitine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophil us, Taurine, Rosemary Extract.

This is a naturally preserved product.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020