Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The Wife and I started a new business last year.
CatBrat #353819 08/30/11 11:08 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Kibbles and Bits rules!

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #353821 08/31/11 12:05 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Oh no, SirQuack, your killing me!

I hope you were kidding, but in case your not.

Kibble and Bits top first 10 ingredients are:

Corn
soybean meal
Beef and Bone Meal
wheat flour
Animal Fat (BHA)
Corn Syrup
Wheat Middlings
Water
Animal digest
Propylene Glycol
Salt

None of this should be in pet food. Propylene Glycol is used in aircraft de-icing fluid and auto antifreeze. BHA is a cancer causing chemical used a a preservative. I have not issue with saying that through our research Kibbles and Bits is by-far the worst thing you could feed your pet that is legal to purchase.

Visit the webiste: http://www.dorchesterpetcare.com and read the three white papers on the home page.

pn

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
CatBrat #353822 08/31/11 12:09 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
That is an excellent food CatBrat, we stock that one ourselves. Your Cat will thank you.

Don't be supprised if you notice in the next few days a shinier softer coat, and a all round happier Cat.

pn

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #353823 08/31/11 12:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I asked my sister what she feeds her Weim (damn those dogs are high energy) and she said she has been cycling Go! Natural and Fromm Duck. Both brands you stock in your store smile.

I learned a lot from reading subscriptions of The Whole Dog Journal. From everything to dog nutrition to training.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/

If you read this link on various dog foods you can see that Wofraza stocks good quality products, the best.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #353824 08/31/11 12:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This is what dogfoodanalysis says about kibble and bits beefy.

The primary ingredient in this food is corn. Corn is a difficult to digest grain of limited value in dog food, and which is also commonly associated with food allergies. Even if this had been a good quality grain, we would still note that grains are an unnatural foodstuff for canines, and that dog food products should be based on meat rather than grain.

Soybean meal is the second ingredient, and the main protein source in the food. Soy is a product we prefer not to see used in dog foods, especially this high on the ingredient list. Soy is a very common cause of food allergy problems, and although boosting the (otherwise minimal) protein content of this food, it is very low quality protein compared to that sourced from meat.

The third ingredient is wheat flour. In dog food products, this is commonly a byproduct (think floorsweepings) of human food production and is a grain fragment we consider primarily filler. Wheat is believed by many to be the leading cause of food allergy problems in dog foods.

Beef and bone meal is an extremely low quality ingredient. It is the rendered product from mammal tissues, including bone, exclusive of blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents, except in such amounts as may occur unavoidably in good processing practices. Animal fat is an ingredient of unidentified origin for which it is impossible to determine species, source or quality. Unidentified ingredients are usually very low quality. AAFCO define this asobtained from the tissues of mammals and/or poultry in the commercial processes of rendering or extracting. It consists predominantly of glyceride esters of fatty acids and contains no additions of free fatty acids. If an antioxidant is used, the common name or names must be indicated, followed by the words "used as a preservative".

This product uses chemical preservatives. BHA is allowed in dog food products but is banned or heavily regulated in human food production due to the belief that it is carcinogenic.

Corn syrup is an unneccessary source of sugar (dog foods should not contain sugar). Wheat middlings are a further waste product, being the remnants of wheat after milling for human food products. Soy flour is an equally low quality product. Wheat gluten is that part of the commercial shelled wheat that remains after the extraction of the larger portion of the starch, gluten, and term by the processes employed in the milling manufacture of wheat starch or syrup. In plain English, the remains of wheat after most of the nutritious bits have been removed.

There is no excuse for adding artificial colorings to dog food products.

Overall, this is one of the lowest quality products reviewed on this site. It receives a 1* rating due to the unavailability of anything lower.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #353825 08/31/11 01:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We feed our cats BLUE Weight Control.

MY wife even feeds a stray cat every day with the stuff. The neighbors feed him dollar store food but he prefers our menu.

Ingredients

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Salmon Meal (source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Potatoes, Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Cranberries, Blueberries, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Dried Chicory Root, Rice Bran, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 28.0% min
Crude Fat 9.0% min
Crude Fiber 8.5% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Magnesium 0.08% min
Taurine 0.15% min
L-Carnitine* 150 mg/kg min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.3% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 2.0% min

-David
BlueJays1 #353826 08/31/11 01:04 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Dog food analysis is one of our fav ref sites.

I haven't seen the Whole Dog Journal though, I will spend some time on there. Looks like some good content. Thanks

K n B is made by Del Monte, the same company that makes canned pineapple and other products. This is a perfect example that large corporations don't care about the health of your pet, just the health of their bottom line.

pn

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
terzaghi #353827 08/31/11 01:07 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Originally Posted By: terzaghi

MY wife even feeds a stray cat every day with the stuff. The neighbors feed him dollar store food but he prefers our menu.

LOL, i don't doubt it, looks like a great cat food!

pn

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
CatBrat #353828 08/31/11 01:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Back from the pet store with a bag of Wellness Indoor Health.

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Rice, Ground Barley, Ground Rice, Whitefish Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Oat Fiber, Chicken Liver, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Cranberries, Olive Oil, Chicory Root Extract, Cranberry Extract Powder, Cranberry Fiber, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta&ampampampshyCarotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, L-Carnitine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophil us, Taurine, Rosemary Extract.

This is a naturally preserved product.

The ingredients used and their quality are night and day from the Purina you listed above.

-Max Payne
Worfzara #353829 08/31/11 01:11 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
We looked at Blue Buffalo but they had a recall last year for too much vitamin D, some dogs got really sick, I don't think any died though and I don't believe it affected any cats. I think they have corrected the quality process and all is good.

pn

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16