Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The Wife and I started a new business last year.
BlueJays1 #353848 08/31/11 02:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I usually leave 2 bowls of 2 different brands out so my cat can have a choice. If she's not eating one particular brand, I discontinue that one and try another. So far, since I've introduced the Wellness brand, she's ignored it, but not much time has elapsed. Wed's and Sat's she gets a small can of Fancy Feast in a saucer. She's more of a licker than an eater. she'll lick up all the juice first, then lick on the fancy feast blob. Doesn't eat much, most of it is left behind, but it's her treat food that she really likes.

BlueJays1 #353849 08/31/11 02:16 PM
shareholder in the making
On a website note, I'm not fond of all Flash sites. Obviously you're not going to change that now. However, the site doesn't appear to work in Chrome on a Mac. Clicking on the pet food links in shop online produces no results.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #353851 08/31/11 03:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This was one of the last foods I feed my dog called NRG. It's a dehydrated food in which you add water. I didn't get much into the box before we had to put him down but I remember the ingredients where of high quality and you could actually pick out individual ingredients in the dry mix.

I am curious of what your thoughts on this food as I have been out of the loop for a few years now.

http://www.nrgpetproducts.com/

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BobKay #353854 08/31/11 05:18 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Originally Posted By: BobKay

Our dog eats only meals prepared for him by me.
There are lots of dog recipe books out there.

Best of luck to you and your wife, Paul. You already have one key element to family business success in the pocket---you named your wife first in the thread title. Smart man.

That is wonderful that you can dedicate yourself to feeding your dog this way.

My wife is the face of the business. She is the one in the store everyday dealing with customers, ordering, collecting money, etc. I am more the IT, marketing and finance manager.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Murph #353855 08/31/11 05:23 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Originally Posted By: Murph
I know nothing about this level of discussion around pet food so I have nothing to add but I'll share a related story about cat food and feline communication.

One of my wife's now deceased cats was on store bought cat food and we decided to upgrade him to a better food as we were told the old may be contributing to his urinary tract infection. The cat went a couple of days without eating a thing. I figured, 'Pfftt, if he gets hungry enough, he will eat it.

On day three, we returned home to work to discover that he had crapped in his food dish. He had never missed his litter box before and it would have been a bit of an effort for him to pull this off as the dish was on a raised wooden platform in the shape of a cat that her brother had made for my wife as a gift. He would have had to maneuver his rear end up onto this platform and ... well, you already know the rest.

People say animals don't truly communicate? I say they do just fine.

Cats are def more of a challenge when it comes to being picky eaters. Not we haven't met a few dogs that are like this. We usually recommend mixing food for at least a week, and sometimes two weeks. It's not uncommon for a pet owner to switch cold turkey and the pet doesn't react favorably. Then they think the new better food is no good, they get frustrated and then go back to the old stuff.

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
medic8r #353856 08/31/11 05:25 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Our dog had horrible allergies and dermatitis - to the point that her skin reddened and blackened - and was diagnosed with a grain allergy, as well as allergies to most grasses and trees. Yes, I'm that guy who takes his dog to the allergist for skin scratch testing. Since she's a chihuahua-Pekingese mix, they had to shave about half of her left side to get enough skin surface area for testing ...

Since we switched to grain-free food years ago, her allergies are significantly better. We get Taste of the Wild Salmon flavored dry food for her at our local Tractor Supply Store. It has a such a strong odor that we had to invest in a large sealing plastic bin to keep it in.

TSC also carries the Blue line of products, which I notice are 34% protein vs the 25% in Taste of the Wild.

It was tough to find grain-free snacks that we can hide her Benadryl in. We've settled on Pupperoni.

Cool thread, and let me add my best wishes for your business!

We are will probably be bringing in Taste Of The Wild within the next six months, another great food.

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Ken.C #353857 08/31/11 05:27 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
On a website note, I'm not fond of all Flash sites. Obviously you're not going to change that now. However, the site doesn't appear to work in Chrome on a Mac. Clicking on the pet food links in shop online produces no results.

Yes, also doesn't work on Ipad (1st gen) or Blackberries. Need a flash plug in.

Good to know, I am not a HTML / XML expert. So the flash site was easy to put together. I am however open to changing if you have any recommendations.

pn

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #353874 09/01/11 02:08 AM
Well, what I'm mainly saying is that the Flash isn't (entirely) working in a Flash equipped browser (i.e. Chrome, which has a built in Flash player). So that might be something to check out.

As for redesigning the website altogether, I'll defer that to someone who actually knows something about web design.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
BlueJays1 #353899 09/01/11 08:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Funny story. They say u r supposed to slowly mix the new food in with the old, increasing the new food amount a little at a time.

You can. Its probably a good idea if you are switching from a really poor dog food to one of the high quality kibbles as they generally are very high protein. The difference in the protein content can be staggering. I would keep an eye on their stools for awhile when I switched foods. Consistently runny stools would be the first sign that food was not going to work.

BTW my dog LOVED canned tripe. Would go wild for that stuff.

Good info and great site. I have been feeding my new dog Acana Pacifica for almost the whole time I've had her(One year now). I also give her a couple of tablespoons of Go grain free canned food with each meal. By the way you should also watch how much you feed your dog with the higher protein foods as too much can cause some consistency problems so to speak. You don't have to feed as much due to the high quality of the food.

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83
Lorenzo1000 #353900 09/01/11 08:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It looks like my Cat ate equal portions of the new and old food last night. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I remove the old food dish.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters