Get Free, Friendly, Expert Advice
Call 1-866-244-8796 or email

Designed and Manufactured in Canada Since 1980

AxiomAudio Blog

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Our Newest Flagship Model: The M100

Why We Make Our Own Drivers

Wall'O'Fame
"Serenity Cinema", now with 40% extra Serenity!
Updated as requested.
Who's Online
8 registered (Steve H, Andrew, J. B., Amie, MarkSJohnson, exlabdriver), 120 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
12661 Members
11 Forums
22680 Topics
400378 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17695
pmbuko 16221
SirQuack 13309
CV 11054
MarkSJohnson 10668
Meanwhile On Facebook

8| Don't miss Andrew Welker's post on our message boards about the new subwoofer...

󾓲 The April Newsletter is out! Did you get your copy? http://www.axiomaudio.co...

Double-take! :O How well do you know our line? First one to spot the surprise...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#354208 - 09/07/11 05:29 PM iTunes Question
Amie Online   content
connoisseur

Any iTunes gurus out there? And if so, do you understand how Genius works? A friend was noticing that Genius wasn't available for the classic 1976 Fleetwood Mac track "Rhiannon" (Brent, some of us still listen to Fleetwood Mac!). I thought it might be because the album he had wasn't on iTunes, but we had "Greatest Hits" which is available on iTunes. We couldn't start a Genius with that track either, but we could with another song from the same album.

Soo . . . is it just that nobody else ever created a playlist and transmitted their personal data freely to the Genius servers, or . . . how does that work exactly?

#354219 - 09/07/11 07:12 PM Re: iTunes Question [Re: Amie]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
Seems like Ken or Peter should know.

It's a treat to see your post, Amie.

#354222 - 09/07/11 07:21 PM Re: iTunes Question [Re: tomtuttle]
Amie Online   content
connoisseur

Thanks for the warm welcome Tom! And of course, I can't let your excellent avatar go unremarked - always a great choice! Nice to see you too!

#354258 - 09/08/11 12:04 AM Re: iTunes Question [Re: Amie]
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

Amie, great to hear from you again, although I know zero about iTunes and can't offer any advice.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#354264 - 09/08/11 12:54 AM Re: iTunes Question [Re: Amie]
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
iTunes can be finicky. You can force Genius to update by choosing that option from the Store menu. If you still can't make a playlist based on that song, then maybe Steve Jobs hated Fleetwood Mac.

#354267 - 09/08/11 05:51 AM Re: iTunes Question [Re: pmbuko]
Amie Online   content
connoisseur

Hello John - great to hear from you too!

Peter, I tried forcing an update. I even tried disabling and re-enabling Genius to *really* force an update, but still no joy. I'd understand hating all Fleetwood Mac, but to cherry-pick in this manner seems especially odd. Tested one of Ian's "Faces" albums (think Rod Stewart) and the same phenomenon existed - it would create a recommendation for "Cigarettes and Alcohol" but not for "Ooh La La". It would be interesting to find out how that algorithm works.

#354302 - 09/08/11 03:05 PM Re: iTunes Question [Re: Amie]
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Leesburg, Virginia
I was curious and tried it myself. You'll see my results were similar:

Just choose any other Fleetwood Mac song and you'll likely get to the same place. Except for Second Hand News. Seriously. What were they thinking? laugh

#354304 - 09/08/11 03:12 PM Re: iTunes Question [Re: pmbuko]
Amie Online   content
connoisseur

Did you just put the song Second Hand News in my head? Gaahhh!! Where's the penalty button?

#354481 - 09/10/11 09:33 PM Re: iTunes Question [Re: Amie]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
Hi Amie! Did you kick the kids out of the house and have some free time now? smile

I really do not like I-tunes, but am forced to use it as I use an I-Pod for my rigs. I-Tunes makes me feel violated for some reason…..

I do not have the patience to create play lists, so I rely solely on the Genius function. I have no idea how it works. I thought Apple might have a bunch of a bored kids sitting around coffee shops creating play lists whenever someone hit the genius button, and they just don’t have any taste, but suspect that’s not really how it works.

I do know that some artists have restrictions on their music and have boycotted Apple in one way or another. AC/DC comes to mind…. Their newer “re mastered” CD’s that I have will not allow me to use the genius function, or the genius function won’t work with them….whichever way that works.

#354514 - 09/11/11 05:39 PM Re: iTunes Question [Re: michael_d]
Da_Gimp_Pimp Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Sitting down somewhere
I've used numerous media players, including iTunes, which was my primary player for years until I found MediaMonkey . In my opinion, i-Tunes is junk, and MediaMonkey is by far the best.

I'd still use it but unfortunately it's not compatible with Zune's, but you can sync i-Pods etc. to it. Maybe an alternative Mike and Amie?

Peace,
Cam

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.