Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Newbie Seeking Opinion from M22i/M60ti Upgraders
#35438 02/29/04 06:09 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
As you can see, this is my first post. I have been doing the new speaker lurking over at the AVS forums for some time now and I think that I'm ready to take the plunge and do some auditioning. Based upon my budget, I was all ready to pick up a pair of the M60s, when I came across the many posts discussing the M22s versus the M60s. So, like many I have seen, I am in a bit of a quandry. Though I can afford the M60s, I am tempted to go the M22 route and apply the savings to upgrade the center and surrounds. My particular room will be about 10'X 17' once completed (speakers will be on shorter wall). The room will be primarily a HT room, but I also want to get that amazing music quality that I have heard over in that higher end room of Hifi Buys (yes, that's the only good frame of reference I have....no flames please). I auditioned a pair of Klipsh REF 35s yesterday and liked the "full" sound that filled the room, but I found myself wanting a bit more clarity. Hope that gives you enough reference to make suggestions. In going through the abundance of posts about this issue, I found that there were many who had made the jump, but I never saw the follow-up impressions of the 60s over the 22s. I'm sure that the sound is "better", so I will say that I am looking for opinions based on small room constraints. Was it worth the double jump in price? Would you recommend it given my constraints?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: Newbie Seeking Opinion from M22i/M60ti Upgraders
#35439 02/29/04 11:21 PM
veteran
veteran
hi turbo, my axiom m22 based system is 2 weeks old and it is truly satisfying. I was in a similar boat, I was torn between a klipsch rb35 based system and axiom grand master with a vp150. I gave the klipsch's a good listening, in the end I decided M22s were clear and true to the recording. My opinion is that the rb35 sounds a little more fuller than M22, but the M22 would beat rb35 in midrange and clarity. Plus the movie experience on a axiom based system was much better than the rb35 based system.

If I had a bigger room, I wld have gone with the M60, but u wld not miss much by going with the M22 and the center/sorround upgrade u mentioned. The M60 bass is much deeper than the M22, but a good sub with M22 would nullify that deficit.

I have spent a lot of time calibrating my system and now the sub corretly compliments the M22 for LFEs.

Also, pls do search the forum , am sure u would find lots of useful information. While defining a search do make sure that u r setting the date range to the right value.

#35440 02/29/04 11:27 PM
devotee
devotee
I own the M22, VP150, QS8 combo and love it. I do, however, while chatting here on this message board, wish I had M60s instead. When I first bought my system, I was almost entirely an HT listener. I listened to music only in the background while cleaning or doing mindless work.

However, since owning Axiom speakers, I have become accustomed to really listening to music and I would say listen to music more than HT now. I own over 20 DVD-Audios and many accoustic and jazz CDs. I used to only listen to Rock music.

I never desire to upgrade to M60's while listening to HT, the M22's sound incredible and I do not think I am missing anything with HT sound. However, with music, I definitely feel like I am missing some mid bass that my subwoofer just does not produce as well as a pair of M60's would. I may be wrong, but I just get that feeling.

I am probably giving you more questions instead of an answer, but this is my experience so far.

I know spiffnme has had both, and he definitely preferred the M60, but you should probably ask him about it.

#35441 03/01/04 12:05 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi Turbodog (cool name, btw) - you don't mention a sub. I am getting along with the M60's without a sub, and am "happy" if not "satisfied". I love the speakers, especially for music, but plan to get a sub later to fill out the HT experience. So, we need to better understand your budget, intent and expectations. You really need a sub with the M22's. My experience is that I've NEVER been sorry for having bought the "better" one.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Re: Newbie Seeking Opinion from M22i/M60ti Upgrade
#35442 03/01/04 12:16 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Dog,
I have the M60s and I'm thrilled with them. Have never heard the M22s, but I will share my impressions of the in-depth (my wife accuses me of defining anal/obsessive when in research mode) research I did. Not scientific by any means.

When I was in the throes of M22 or M60 like you are, virtually everything I researched pointed to the M60s as preferred fronts. Generally the discussions centered on the M60s having a fuller, broader soundstage. The mid-range speaker doesn't hurt either. Sentiments of those fortunate enough to have heard both lean heavily in the direction of the M60s.

In general, the decision points appear to fall to 1) is my listening room big enough to handle the M60s (they do need a little room) and 2) do I want to spend the extra money for the M60s.

Clearly, question 1 must be answered affirmatively or question 2 doesn't matter. Once you get to question 2, interesting dynamics begin to emerge.

First, the devil & angel on each shoulder begin the extra $$$ debate. It is especially useful to realize the difference really isn't $400 since you need stands for the M22s as well. Throw in the discount for ordering at least 5 pieces and/or the factory outlet price and the rationalization process to approve the extra expanse is relatively quick and painless. It takes those of us with burly wives just a tad longer to make the full $$$ trip since groveling is not a quick act.

Next, the obvious increase in audio output and enjoyment. Deadly benefits that fixes the last doubts of the extra $$$.

Third, those of us wise enough to have experienced buyer's remorse, upgradeitis, that itch that can't quite be reached to scratch realize that getting what you wanted to begin with always makes you happier and more content.

Finally, the testosterone kicks in big time. They ARE bigger, and therefore, MUST be better.

So let's cut to the chase. Call Axiom and see if your listening room can support the M60s. If so, ponder it overnight.

Next day, let's get that Man Card punched. Pick up the phone - PICK IT UP and order the M60s.

Whew, excuse me - I'm trembling. I need to go and lie down.

#35443 03/01/04 01:50 AM
veteran
veteran
While shopping for new speakers I too listened to the Klipsh. I liked them, but there was something about them I didn't like. I also really like Infinity as well. My set-up before my current M22/VP100/QS4 was Infinity. I've always liked Infinity. They have always had a very smooth sound to them. But everything I listened to lacked some detail. So that led me to look elswhere. I did tons of reading on AVS and HTF as well as Audio Review and Ecoustics. Against my better judgement I was now considering two speaker companies that I have neither heard of or heard their products. Axiom and Ascend. Finally decided on Axiom and I couldn't be happier. I wish I had the extra money to get the M60s, but honesty I love the sound of the M22 paired with my new HSU VTF-2. I close my eyes and would swear I am listening to tower speakers. The area these went in is 12x20 but the listening area is 12x8 and the M22 fill the whole area with crisp, clear sound. Like I have said in another post I am now enjoying hearing my speakers instead of just listening to them. I might eventually replace the M22s with M60s, but I am in no hurry. I'll be enjoying this set-up for a while.

#35444 03/01/04 03:42 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
First of all, thanks for everyone's responses. I was worried that it might take a long time to get responses.

As far as subs go, I presently have a JBL PB10. I know that it's not a spectacular sub, but it has served me well for a few years. I will probably upgrade eventually, but wanted to focus on the mains first.

Everyone is hitting the nail right on the head. Having heard a glimps of that extremely clear and crisp sound in those high end rooms, I'm concerned that I'm going to be plagued by that buyer's remorse. I came home that day depressed as I listened to my 10 year old Yamaha loudspeakers. My blissful ignorance had been burst.

The game gets even more interesting considering the fact that I am expecting my first child, so finances are obviously a concern. The good thing is that my better half has heard those higher end speakers and understands my drive to have the two mains be able to produce that full and clear sound.....thank God....and she likes sci-fi and loaths chick-flicks. I know.....I lucked out on that one.

I think that I'm going to have some patience and see whether or not some of those who have converted like spiffnme jump in and give some input. I fully trust those from each side of the camp, but I think that the missing link are those that have heard both directly. At the same time, I am going to take Ray3's advice and call Axiom and make sure that I'm not going to run into a problem with the size of my room.

I will tell you that I am excited to get whichever pair I decide to go with. Just like Snippy referenced, many on these forums post that they hear their music in a new light once they started using their Axioms. I'm actually giddy in anticipation of that. Like Ray, I have researched the crap out of this and built up the anticipation like a kid before Christmas....soon enough.

Re: Newbie Seeking Opinion from M22i/M60ti Upgrade
#35445 03/01/04 03:58 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Excellent choice Turbodog1. We all want to be as unbiased as we can, but always take what we say about our speakers with a grain of salt (after all who wants to admit they screwed up?). Hehe. I do love my m22s and my crappy little partsexpress dayton 10" subwoofer.
I spent my weekend playing xbox/ps2 listening to music (ozzy osborne, nellie mackay, jack johnson, ben harper) and watching a couple of movies (friday and from hell). Each and every moment had me saying to myself "Holy cow did I get a great deal and make a good choice!" I was actually suprised by how much bass was used in the soundtrack and dialog for From Hell. It really showed me how important proper placement of my sub is!

Please let us know what you go with and your impressions.

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#35446 03/01/04 04:06 AM
veteran
veteran
Not trying to be a killjoy.....but from experience i figured out that axiom spkrs grow on you,atleast in my experience....my expectations were dented a bit during my audition, but the knowledge and a little bit of wisdom made me select the axioms, its been 2 weeks and my joy listening to them only grows day by day....

#35447 03/01/04 04:35 AM
aficionado
aficionado
James,
Good call on the Jack Johnson and Ben Harper. Saw them in PHX. They are awesome.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters