Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Factory outlet buying
#36135 03/04/04 07:59 PM
danman Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi

I am new here and very interested in buying the M60ti. I want to know of your experiences with Factory Outlet buying. Is there a chance I may get second rate quality or is it only cosmetic?

Also, how is the bass with these speakers? I am not looking for a boom box but I do want to eliminate my sub from music listening as I have a NAD 320bee and NAD 521CD along with PSB Image 2b and Subsonic sub. Works very well but I want more sound and the little NAD could blow them all easily as it is very powerful and clean for a small amp.

Re: Factory outlet buying
#36136 03/04/04 09:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
danman

i bought all my speakers from the factory outlet and i'd swear Axiom sent me A models and just gave me a discount. you will NEVER get sub par sounding speakers out of there. In fact, often, finding the flaw can become a struggle.

the bass on M60's is nice and tight but not low like a sub. I'd recommend you get a sub to fully exploit low frequency sounds

#36137 03/04/04 10:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I echo Ravi. Axiom states there will be no sonic flaws of any kind, so they will perform like A models. Flaws, if any, would be cosmetic, and very slight. I Got M22tis and a VP150 from the outlet. I haven't taken a magnifying glass to them, but I've not found any flaw at all. I'm "changing" (Happy Chess?) from the 22tis to the M60s, and I'm getting those from the Outlet also. I don't think you need be concerned at all.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#36138 03/04/04 10:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I'm "changing" (Happy Chess?

Absolutely!

Hey, "switching", "swapping", "trading", "exchanging" are all good too. More politically correct (or to make up a whole new word, more "terminologically" correct) than that "u" word.

It provokes the question,
"Why are you trading them in for that other model?"
rather than suggesting to the reader the immediate thought,
"He says he is upgrading so therefore the Axiom M{tower} must be better than the Axiom M{bookshelf}"
(insert words as you please to fit the general model of the sentence)

Those discussions involving the words 'better than' always get so snooty and emotional.

By the way, thanks for the links to the smileys page. They are much more fun than the llimited forum options.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#36139 03/04/04 10:51 PM
shareholder in the making
Highly commendable choice of terminology, Jack. We can all get along if things such as the "B word", the "M word", and now the "U word" aren't resorted to.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#36140 03/04/04 10:58 PM
And I thought I hated emoticons before... ;-)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#36141 03/04/04 11:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
more "terminologically" correct than that "u" word."

Not necessarily. Question. Is there any circumstance where, in your mind, "changing" from one speaker to another could possibly be an "upgrade"? What if you paid $100 for a speaker that you found more sonically pleasing than your current $200 speaker? Is that an upgrade? If so, then the word "upgrade has a valid use.

I understand what you are objecting to, but, as is the case with most "politically correct" terminology, it becomes tyrannical in it's application. All too often the term upgrade is used, as you object to, to imply more expensive is more better. That is a misuse of the word. But, if a person obtains a new speaker that he/she feels is "better." for whatever reason, then, in his/her opinion it is, and can be correctly termed, an UPGRADE. So, in that context I will continue to, as accurately as possible, use the word "upgrade" when I feel it is appropriate. I will not allow you to "politically correct" me out of my right to use the English language in a reasonable manner. You are also free to do as you please. END OF RANT!

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I just asked if he was happy. He started the dissertation.

Jack

#36142 03/04/04 11:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice of you to say so, JohnK. Hope the above post hasn't ruined my image.

Jack

#36143 03/05/04 12:17 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I kind of like Jack's take on this.

Some things really ARE "better" than others. Don't misunderstand me - I think that precise use of the language should be encouraged, and that people should be deliberate about what they say and how they say it. But I will not deny "Quality" as part of life, nor will I tolerate the notion that "having good judgement" is a bad thing.

I freely admit that a lot of what makes some things "better" than others is subjective. I don't think we should willy-nilly constantly imply that the tower speakers are necessarily an "upgrade" from other speakers; for a particular room or particular use, they could be a MUCH worse choice. But some things really ARE "better". Some ideas really ARE "stupid".

It's kind of like that "Receivers" thread that is simmering right now. Frankly, I don't CARE if different receivers "sound" differently. I'll leave it to the scientists and philosophers to figure that out. What matters to me is that my current system gives me joy, and it does. I feel blessed that I do not so easily succumb to equipment envy to such a degree that I can no longer enjoy the "now". There are too many environmental and content-related factors that impact my listening pleasure for me to worry about the subtleties of sideways electrons.

I'm reminded of Alan's comment about "similarly good". Whose signature line is "Enjoy the music"? Snippy?

Oh yeah, the factory outlet speakers are just fine. At least mine were.

This has been quite a week for stream-of-consciousness threads.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#36144 03/05/04 12:41 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Ajax,
I had a long reply coming, but it may have been lost.

RE:I will not allow you to "politically correct" me out of my right to use the English language in a reasonable manner.
The notion that someone has stepped on your freedom of speech is ridiculous. Please no more flag waving.

Picking one's words so they convey an idea that is ACCURATE is important, but that is not what occurs on the forums. The term "upgrade" is way over used and sometimes used descriptively even BEFORE the person receives their new upgrades!!
Upgrade now essentially = larger $$ model because newbies usually do not distinguish it from a poster's statements as they have no frame of reference (e.g. like having read earlier posts on the subject in which your upgrades were discussed, before AND after audition opinions heard and reported).

It is just like the term "terrorist".
Everyone is a terrorist.
It has lost all meaning.
Now everything may as well be an upgrade.
Maybe just for fun i should start using the word "downgrade" to describe some decisions for speaker buyers and see how some of the newbies react eh?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020