Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 75 of 95 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 94 95
Re: Maybe I should start a v4.0 build thread somewhere
fredk #408319 11/25/14 02:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: fredk
Somebody has to have more speakers on the wall than catbrat. Keep them suckers!

Only 9 speakers on the wall + subwoofer.

nickbuol #408322 11/25/14 03:50 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So I was watching the video below yesterday about how to set up a room and speakers for "immersive audio" like Dolby Atmos, and I was surprised by what I heard.

The guest was talking about how they are getting a much better benefit by filling in the "hole" between the front main speakers and your surrounds (on the side walls) than even going with overhead speakers.

Hmmm.... Dolby doesn't even really address this with Atmos. They focus on the overhead sound.

Then he was saying that he actually likes using dipole speakers for these new "super wides" mentioned above, the surrounds, and the rear speakers... Even for Atmos.

Hmmm.... Dolby states that they want monopole speakers.

So now I want a 9.2.4 setup. Something to fill in the gap between the front mains and the side surrounds, AND overhead speakers. If I had just a single row of seats, I could possibly do 9.2.2, but with 2 rows, I would do much better with 9.2.4... The problem? Receivers currently max out at a 9.2.2 or 7.2.4 setup. 11 total powered channels, not the 13 the I *want*. Even with 9.2.2 or 7.2.4, those receivers are pretty spendy to get the bells and whistles that I currently have such as Audyssey MultiEQ XTm etc. Plus I still want to see what DTS comes out with.

Sounds like (pun intended) I will be hanging on to my QS8s AND the new M3 on-walls for a while. I guess I can experiment with which I like better until then. Or setup a 5.1 setup in the family room right next to the theater... Oh wait, I would need another receiver for that.

I guess it is true... It is all about the money.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #408336 11/26/14 02:41 AM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
Well, the Audyssey guys always said, go with Wides first because it'll have more impact than heights. I guess it's the same idea? But ultimately, I guess it'll be individual preference (mono vs multipole)

hsb

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
nickbuol #408339 11/26/14 11:26 AM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Isn't Grimani great? Very personable. His other vids are well worth a look too on geeks.

I'm now just starting to realise just how new and soft all the ATMOS specs for positioning are. Man, I'd love to do front wides. I just can't rationalise putting speakers at sidewall locations when the rest is behind a screen to hide them.

Ironic how in my room adding immersive speakers at wides will possibly erode some of the overall movie immersion. crazy

nickbuol #408345 11/26/14 03:18 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I've always like Grimani's videos. I assume others do too which is why he is on the "show" several times.

I contacted Axiom the other day via their web contact form about the status of my second pair of on-wall M3s. The first set was ordered a few hours before the 2nd set and the first set is at the local FedEx sort facility today (not sure if it will deliver today or not), but the 2nd set hasn't shipped. I received no response. I called twice as well and was offered to leave a message, which I opted not to. It wasn't until I sent a couple of regular emails this morning that I got a response.

Makes me wonder if the order got "lost." I placed both orders the day that the $250 coupon came out, and while I am sure that some people put in orders like me, a lot of people are still trying to decide what to do with their coupon, so it shouldn't have been THAT many orders in a difference of about 4.5 hours between my 1st and 2nd order that would delay it this much to have the 2nd one "conveniently" set to ship out on the day that I finally get a response to my inquiry about it. (Wow, that was a long sentence.)

I'm not in a rush to get them, but since I need to provide a signature, I need to plan ahead to be home. I don't want FedEx leaving a door tag and coming back another day. That will many times mean that the speakers have more time to be tossed around in the truck, dropped, etc. I could set them up to be held at FedEx, but the location is about as far away from me as you can get and still be in the same city/town location... I'd say "metro area" but we are talking something like 180,000 people. Not a huge "metro" area.

On another interesting note, if you've stuck with me this long...

I just found out that my management responsibilities at work are expanding and I will need to get a passport now. Looks like I am going to add a Canadian to my IT support team. New (to me) location will be in Toronto. That is just a quick 2 hour 40 minute drive up to Dwight... I will have to plan a trip to the Axiom factory. This also opens up possibilities for travel to the big Axiom bash coming in 2015. YAY!

Credit to chesseroo for the Axiom picture from his 2004 Axiom Factory Tour ...

Last edited by nickbuol; 11/26/14 03:27 PM. Reason: Added pictures since people like pictures

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #408392 11/28/14 10:12 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So here I am... At the in-laws for the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday. one pair of the on-wall M3s shipped this past Monday and seem to have gotten hung up in Memphis, TN. The other pair shipped Wednesday. All 4 were ready for delivery today. Since I am not going to be home today or tomorrow, I went on to FedEx's website and set them all to be held for pickup. The nice thing is that I was able to pick a FedEx location about 10 minutes from my house (instead of 30+ minutes to the main warehouse) and even better is that it is open on Sunday, so I will make a quick trip and pick them up.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #408394 11/29/14 12:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
... All 4 were ready for delivery today...

There's that awesome Axiom customer service again. How do they do that. grin

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
nickbuol #408485 12/02/14 04:24 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
M3s were picked up yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to un-box them until today.

I noticed that one set has serial numbers about 1000 lower than the other set, came in slightly different packaging (didn't have the 1/2" white styrofoam sheet on the top/bottom of the inside packaging end caps, and had been previously opened, re-stapled and re-taped shut. They look perfect, and if my receiver ever finishes updating its firmware, I will be able to try them out.

Oh, I also noticed that the logo on one of the "older" ones was messed up. The bottom looks "melted." Not a huge deal, but I did see it right away.

Anyhow, here are two of the M3s next to two of the QS8s that were replaced:

Here is a good logo from one of the "newer" M3s:

And here is a messed up one:

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #408489 12/02/14 12:37 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Hmmm, maybe you received a B stock by mistake?

Anyway, no one will notice once you are set up and the are in the "bubble." laugh

nickbuol #408491 12/02/14 01:45 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
With the box being opened previously, I was thinking that someone possibly bought them, tried them out, and sent them back, but the boxes (which again were previously opened) had no signs of previous shipping labels besides the one for them to come to me.

Not the end of the world considering the price that I paid for them, and the blemished ones will go on the back wall anyway. Nobody goes to the back wall except to vacuum.

I got them all mounted on the walls, but I need to wipe out my Audessey settings to listen to things completely un-altered, and then run Audessey and see if I like the changes. I did play a scene from Oblivion last night and there seemed to be good (better) imaging of one of the probes near the beginning where it crashed in an old stadium. After Jack Harper, Tech 4-9 (LOL) fixes it, it shoots straight up and then zooms away. I was able to really hear it zipping past me, and the ambient sounds it made way in the distance were noticeable from the rear surrounds.

If after messing with the Audessey later today it gets even better, then I am going to pack up the QS8s until further notice. Around Christmas I might mess around with a pair of QS8s in a front "wide" configuration where they are on my side walls between the front speakers and the side speakers. If that yields minimal performance boost, then I will sell them all and be ready for more M3s for Atmos down the road.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 75 of 95 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 94 95

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020