C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
She wants to play "Words with Friends" with her family but refuses to pay another $30/month on our wireless bill for a new phone! smile

Sadly, that's what I've been using my Fire for mostly. I hadn't even played the game until recently. I still want to use it as a music player, but they just don't have a music player app available that's what I'm looking for.

Re: Anyone else moved to an e-reader ?
CV #366319 02/11/12 11:04 PM
C
CV Offline
C
You can tell I'm a newbie with Android apps. I finally looked a little deeper into PowerAMP and found I browse to their website on the Kindle Fire and install it from there by simply allowing non-marketplace apps. It seems to be working just fine.

It's still not quite the ideal portable music player I want to take to work with me, but it's not bad. I bought a neoprene sleeve by BUILT for it, and an AmazonBasics stylus. I'm using a BookGem book holder to keep it in place, though it only works in landscape orientation because of where I need to plug in the audio cable. But yeah, the pair of black M3 v3s that I bought a while ago ended up at work. They're powered by an AudioSource AMP-100, so this is what I hook my music players to when I'm there. It's nice working in a storeroom during the evening shift. I get to blast my music after day shift leaves at 4:30.

I suppose the only thing the Kindle Fire needs is expandable storage to do what I want it to.

Murph #366678 02/15/12 03:07 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Speaking of e-readers, one advantage is being able to get classics and 'out of copy write' books for free (or something close too it.) My first Kindle purchase was the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes for 99 cents.

Most recently, this helped clear up a mystery for me. Excuse the long story.

Recently quoted from one of the recent movie promos "John Carter, beloved hero of millions of Sci Fi Fans......"

As geeky as I am, how was it that I never heard of John Carter and his Martian adventures? Well Wiki tells me that it is because the books were written in and after 1911 but here is the kicker, it was written by none other than Edgar Rice Burroughs! [Insert Carol Burnette's Tarzan yell here."]

Now I was a bit intrigued so then I wondered if the books would be old enough that they fall into the free (ok, kinda free) category for e-readers. They were, so I donwloaded the 5 story, John Carter of Mars Collection for 99 cents.

I just finished the first story. It's a bit quirky, as one would expect from Sci-fi imaginings from a writer in early 1900 but it's actually pretty enjoyable. If you enjoy sci-fi written before modern times (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Jonothan Swift, The Last Man, etc." then it is definitely worth your single dollar.

I have no idea if the movie will be any good, but I'm a bit more intrigued now.

Short version of above.....
E-Readers are an excellent way to explore some classics you might not otherwise invest in.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #366708 02/15/12 07:05 PM
my wife does a lot of reading, and the books are piling up...she is thinking about a Kindle Fire, what do you all think?

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Murph #366713 02/15/12 07:43 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
If she does a 'lot' of reading, as you have mentioned she does, I would suggest an e-ink model. It won't have the cool factor of the Fire which is more like a tablet PC but it will be a lot easier on the eyes than a backlit LCD screen.

E-ink is pretty much identical to real paper as far as the eyes are concerned. LCD is fine for light reading but not as easy on the eyes for longer durations. Some people say it doesn't bother them but there has to be a relative difference, even if you are lucky enough not to notice it.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #366716 02/15/12 07:47 PM
C
CV Offline
C
I agree with Murph. If reading is the reason for getting a Kindle, go with E Ink.

Murph #366754 02/15/12 10:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yup, for straight reading, get the e-ink version of the Kindles. If you want one to use 'sometimes' as a tablet, the Fire is fine. If you want a tablet, iPad.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can use the Kindle with the Lending Library for free. Also, you can check w/ your local library for digital titles. Many libraries now allow you to check out digital titles to download/read directly on your Kindle. Works on both my regular, Kindle 2G and Kindle Fire.

CV #366757 02/15/12 10:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CV
I agree with Murph. If reading is the reason for getting a Kindle, go with E Ink.

I disagree with Andrew but agree with Charles and oldschoolboarder.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Murph #366824 02/16/12 05:48 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Murph
Recently quoted from one of the recent movie promos "John Carter, beloved hero of millions of Sci Fi Fans......"

I'm pretty sure my friend mentioned John Carter to me a long time ago, but yeah, millions might be a stretch. I'm looking forward to the movie based solely on the guy playing John Carter. Taylor Kitsch was excellent as Tim Riggins in the series, Friday Night Lights. Of course, just about everyone in that show was excellent. I'm glad to see him getting work, so here's hoping the writing and directing are up to snuff.

I'll definitely have to get that 5 story collection. Thanks for the heads-up!

CV #366841 02/16/12 12:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CV
Originally Posted By: Murph

I'm pretty sure my friend mentioned John Carter to me a long time ago, but yeah, millions might be a stretch. I'm looking forward to the movie based solely on the guy playing John Carter. Taylor Kitsch was excellent as Tim Riggins in the series, Friday Night Lights. Of course, just about everyone in that show was excellent. I'm glad to see him getting work, so here's hoping the writing and directing are up to snuff.

I'll definitely have to get that 5 story collection. Thanks for the heads-up!

Not to mention that my wife and both daughters drool over the guy.....I was always torn between Lila and Tara.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters