C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
This speakers sound like it will be amazing, very exciting, very...high end.

Yeah, I hope I can afford it!

Re: Exciting News From Axiom!
FireGuy #367236 02/18/12 05:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: FireGuy
Axiom and Bryston's new collaboration?

i have been bugging Ian to build something like this for a couple of years now, if this is what it is, i should get some royalties or something.... maybe some canadian beer...?

Ian #367240 02/18/12 06:36 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted By: Ian
I guess if I had to boil it down to the two most prominent and broad categories that we were collaborating on it would be the utilization of DSPs and the utilization of omni-directional design. These two main foundations, plus a multitude of other ideas and experiences, could now be used to carve out some totally new territory. As with all things Axiom this new direction had to ultimately prove itself out in Double Blind Listen Testing. For Andrew the Double Blind Test was nothing new since it was very much in keeping with the methodology followed at API. I guess given the early roots of both Axiom and API at the NRC this is not surprising.

So after all these years we are now just about ready to unveil the first product of this research. I might add that along with our new speaker model will be the ability to juice the performance of some of our existing models. From a timing point of view we are currently building the prototypes for the show and should be done sometime in the next few weeks. It is our plan to take a pile of photos and post them here when those samples are completed. I think once we have this visual would be a sensible time to start going over the details.

Exciting times indeed smile.

M80s, VP180, QS8s, EP800 v3
Amie #367245 02/18/12 08:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Probably won't work in my living room (limited wall space). I'm thinking tower speakers with some Bose 901 qualities. This would help give a good wall of sound effect, with only 1 set of speakers, perhaps.

Amie #367258 02/18/12 11:21 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Originally Posted By: CV
Maybe the electronics in the speaker are calculating what the ideal reflected sound would be if the speaker was an omni-directional design, but simply shooting that calculated sound forward in the more traditional forward-facing design?

I don't know how clear I am in stating what I mean, or how feasible it is. Based on the hints, I'm thinking that it might be simulating reflected sound. As Ian says, the two prominent, broad categories driving the new design are DSP+omni-directional, but he also states that there's the potential to "juice" the performance of existing models. Since none of the Axiom line-up is omni-directional, it makes me think perhaps they're achieving a likeness of that sound with a direct radiating speaker. If it's convincing, it might be superior to other omni-directional designs simply from an ease-of-placement standpoint. It seems like placement of omni-directional speakers is even trickier than placement of direct radiating, at least from the admittedly limited reading I've done. It seems like some of those speakers really like being placed further into the room, away from the walls.

Anyway, that's my best guess, but there's a lot that's open to interpretation. I'm still vague on what the references to "listening window" might mean, so I don't know if what I'm saying speaks to that at all.

It's going to be fun finding out further details. I just wonder if the new speakers are going to have their own internal amplifiers. It might take away from dedicated amplifier sales once Axiom is offering a new version of their amp, but I guess if people buy powered speakers from Axiom, they're still buying Axiom amps. It just seems like there'd be some benefit to being able to tailor the DSP's code to both the exact performance characters of the speaker as well as the amplifier supplying the power. Again, my ignorance rears its head.

Amie #367259 02/18/12 11:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ian, i have a single request.... Outriggers please!.... maybe this will be part of the 2012 lineup of new products???!..... ? I would buy a pair for sure...

CatBrat #367260 02/18/12 11:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Probably won't work in my living room (limited wall space). I'm thinking tower speakers with some Bose 901 qualities. This would help give a good wall of sound effect, with only 1 set of speakers, perhaps.

We have all seen how creative/effective you are at cutting holes in your wall. i am confident that you are good enough at geometry that you would be able to fit just about anything on that wall.........

BlueJays1 #367274 02/19/12 02:25 AM
Dr. Horse, hopefully they won't be "high end", which is pretty synonymous with "high priced", and knowing Axiom, I think that we can have a fair degree of confidence.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

CV #367280 02/19/12 03:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Maybe the electronics in the speaker are calculating what the ideal reflected sound would be if the speaker was an omni-directional design, but simply shooting that calculated sound forward in the more traditional forward-facing design?

I don't know how clear I am in stating what I mean, or how feasible it is. Based on the hints, I'm thinking that it might be simulating reflected sound. As Ian says, the two prominent, broad categories driving the new design are DSP+omni-directional, but he also states that there's the potential to "juice" the performance of existing models. Since none of the Axiom line-up is omni-directional, it makes me think perhaps they're achieving a likeness of that sound with a direct radiating speaker. If it's convincing, it might be superior to other omni-directional designs simply from an ease-of-placement standpoint. It seems like placement of omni-directional speakers is even trickier than placement of direct radiating, at least from the admittedly limited reading I've done. It seems like some of those speakers really like being placed further into the room, away from the walls.

Anyway, that's my best guess, but there's a lot that's open to interpretation. I'm still vague on what the references to "listening window" might mean, so I don't know if what I'm saying speaks to that at all.

It's going to be fun finding out further details. I just wonder if the new speakers are going to have their own internal amplifiers. It might take away from dedicated amplifier sales once Axiom is offering a new version of their amp, but I guess if people buy powered speakers from Axiom, they're still buying Axiom amps. It just seems like there'd be some benefit to being able to tailor the DSP's code to both the exact performance characters of the speaker as well as the amplifier supplying the power. Again, my ignorance rears its head.

It was mentioned before that the listening window in reference to the mystery box goes beyond the standard definition AVG (-+15° vertical,-+15°or -+30° horizontal). I'm thinking it might encompass more of the power response.

If you go with an active option instead of an internal amp approach you can match specifically the power capabilities to each individual driver in the speaker. This is the approach the Bryston speaker is taking. That speaker will have massive power handling and dynamic capabilities.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #367287 02/19/12 04:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1

If you go with an active option instead of an internal amp approach you can match specifically the power capabilities to each individual driver in the speaker. This is the approach the Bryston speaker is taking. That speaker will have massive power handling and dynamic capabilities.

Wouldn't this require a dedicated amp channel to go with each type of speaker like Bryston is doing? I think that this would not work with Axioms target demographic?

Page 10 of 101 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters