Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Get yer Win8 preview
INANE #368406 03/01/12 05:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Are the steps shown in this video exactly how it should be installed?

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #368407 03/01/12 06:29 PM
shareholder in the making
Yup. Win 7 install steps will work. The actual Windows 8 installation (once the VM boots from the ISO) is super simple.

INANE #368437 03/01/12 09:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks, Peter.

From what I can tell in the video, the VM software just runs Windows 8 in something similar to a command prompt window. Is that correct? If so, can you easily switch back and forth from one operating system to the other by simply minimizing the window and Windows 8 will simply continue to run in the background?

Also, what happens after Windows 8 is installed? Will my Windows 7 still load automatically after a reboot, and then I have a choice to load Windows 8 via the software? Or upon reboot am I prompted with a boot screen to choose either operating system (similar to a dual boot setup)?

I just want to know how accessible it will be for me to use before I go ahead and load it.

Thanks

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #368440 03/01/12 10:03 PM
As far as your main Windows installation is concerned, a VM is just another application -- like Notepad. You can minimize the window, run it full screen, move it around your screen, etc.

Another cool thing about VMs is that you can pause them. Done messing around with Windows 8? Don't shut it down. Just pause/suspend it. Next time you want to run it, resume it. It'll start up much faster than a normal boot.

One other killer feature -- snapshots. Let's say you wanted to really start messing around with Windows 8 and you just downloaded 1337haX0R tool and want to install it. Make a snapshot first. That saves the state of your VM. Then, when the 1337haX0R tool inevitable hoses your Windows 8 VM. You can just revert back to that snapshot as if nothing happened. This is much more reliable than setting a Windows Restore Point and hoping that will actually work.

Ya_basta #368481 03/02/12 06:02 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Thanks, Peter.

From what I can tell in the video, the VM software just runs Windows 8 in something similar to a command prompt window. Is that correct? If so, can you easily switch back and forth from one operating system to the other by simply minimizing the window and Windows 8 will simply continue to run in the background?

Also, what happens after Windows 8 is installed? Will my Windows 7 still load automatically after a reboot, and then I have a choice to load Windows 8 via the software? Or upon reboot am I prompted with a boot screen to choose either operating system (similar to a dual boot setup)?

I just want to know how accessible it will be for me to use before I go ahead and load it.

Thanks

A VM is literally an application that simulates hardware. So running something like vbox creates multiple (if you want more than one) virtual computers INSIDE your Windows 7 computer. The operating system running in the VM doesn't know that it's being hosted on another computer (well that's not completely true in some situations but for a basic understanding it's easier to grasp). The virtualization software will be a rather large resource hog on your real system but other than that it will completely isolate the operating system running inside of it from your main one.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters