Rate Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Oppo BD 93/95
#369482 03/13/12 06:33 AM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I was wondering how many of you guys have either of these players.. Catbrat just ordered a 93... I was wondering what the quality of netflix playback is like on these as compared to other products that stream netflix. I am sure the Blu ray/DVD play back is as good or better than my 83, which i think is wonderful.

The BD38 does not have a netflix option, it's to old. I am kind of wanting to get something to stream netflix, but i want to get as close to blu ray quality as possible.. Hence my waiting to buy something....

Thanks

Re: Oppo BD 93/95
dakkon #369492 03/13/12 11:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm currently not using Netflix (nor any other movie) streaming. I discovered that before that is going to happen, 1) I need to upgrade my connection from DSL to Cable, and 2) Either Netflix needs to maintain a higher quality of movies, or the others need to drastically lower their prices.

dakkon #369501 03/13/12 12:29 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: dakkon
I was wondering how many of you guys have either of these players.. Catbrat just ordered a 93... I was wondering what the quality of netflix playback is like on these as compared to other products that stream netflix. I am sure the Blu ray/DVD play back is as good or better than my 83, which i think is wonderful.

The BD38 does not have a netflix option, it's to old. I am kind of wanting to get something to stream netflix, but i want to get as close to blu ray quality as possible.. Hence my waiting to buy something....

Thanks

I have the BDP95 and previously owned the 83 which I sold and got almost as much money for it from what I paid. In terms of video/audio performance, Oppo players are that good, especially the 83 which was the companies first BR player. Without really being able to make a direct comparison, based on my recollection, I can't see much of any difference. Of course the newer players have more features(dual HDMI connections, more network connectivity etc.). I have tried the Netflix option(this was the main reason that Oppo switched their video processing to the Marvel system) and quite frankly, it is OK but it is still not BR quality so for me personally, I wasn't overwhelmed and if you are going to spend this kind of money on a player, you might as well be able to get the most out of it.

dakkon #369513 03/13/12 03:03 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I have a BDP-83 and a BDP-93. I have tried streaming movies, but it was horribly slow, so I gave up - and I do have cable Internet. I don't recall what speed, but it's plenty fast.

I like Oppo. They make great products and their customer service is outstanding. The main reason I have both machines, is that the 83 was giving me fits and the disk tray would stick and act erratic at times. I needed another BR player for another set up, so I just ordered the 93 and sent the 83 to Oppo for service. Even though the 83 was well out of warranty, Oppo fixed it and sent it back to me free of charge.

I might also add that the Oppo's have sub title shift. This is important to me as I have a CIH set up and without the subtitle shift, I would not be able to read them when watching a 2.35 movie.

dakkon #369514 03/13/12 03:13 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
CIH?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
dakkon #369515 03/13/12 03:14 PM
local
local
I have the BDP-93 and Netflix streaming.

I have tried Netflix streaming on many devices: PC, XBox360, Oppo, Tivo, Wii and Android phone.

The quality of the picture is about the same between Xbox/Oppo. The Tivo quality is similar but more likely to "degrade" - it dynamically switches to a lower bit rate when it can't get or keep up with the highest available bit rate. Note that any device will degrade if the bit stream becomes lossy, due to in-home bandwidth contention or ISP flakiness, etc. In my experience, the Tivo just seems the most prone to degrading. But for my wife the Tivo is by far the most convenient way to stream Netflix.

Then there is the question of the menu options and the "buttons" available in the Netflix player for each device. The PC (browser) has the best menu, but the screen, seating and sound system are drawbacks, and you have to use the mouse. The Xbox menu is better than the Oppo's, but it has been a couple of months since I tried the Oppo and the Netflix app could have been updated/improved since then. The Oppo did not have the option to enable closed captioning the last time I tried.

The Wii is pointless unless it is your only option. The phone app is cool when you are away from home, but I would use it only if Wifi is available.

Last edited by Henry66; 03/13/12 03:15 PM.

Axiom M80s + QS8s + VP180 <-- Pioneer VSX-1120-K <-- Squeezebox Touch / XBox360 / Oppo BDP-93
Henry66 #369519 03/13/12 04:23 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: Henry66
I have the BDP-93 and Netflix streaming.

I have tried Netflix streaming on many devices: PC, XBox360, Oppo, Tivo, Wii and Android phone.

The quality of the picture is about the same between Xbox/Oppo. The Tivo quality is similar but more likely to "degrade" - it dynamically switches to a lower bit rate when it can't get or keep up with the highest available bit rate. Note that any device will degrade if the bit stream becomes lossy, due to in-home bandwidth contention or ISP flakiness, etc. In my experience, the Tivo just seems the most prone to degrading. But for my wife the Tivo is by far the most convenient way to stream Netflix.

Then there is the question of the menu options and the "buttons" available in the Netflix player for each device. The PC (browser) has the best menu, but the screen, seating and sound system are drawbacks, and you have to use the mouse. The Xbox menu is better than the Oppo's, but it has been a couple of months since I tried the Oppo and the Netflix app could have been updated/improved since then. The Oppo did not have the option to enable closed captioning the last time I tried.

The Wii is pointless unless it is your only option. The phone app is cool when you are away from home, but I would use it only if Wifi is available.

An excellent summary. As usual, in the end , it is always about bandwidth, whereas people like us are looking for maximum quality while, unfortunately, the service providers and the masses priority are maximum numbers and to do it as cheap as possible "quality be damned".

casey01 #369535 03/13/12 08:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I purchased an Oppo BDP-93 last fall. Best $500 I have spent in a while grin

dakkon #369538 03/13/12 08:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I almost bought a 93, but I wasn't convinced that I would get the best bang for the buck out of it. I just needed a solid blu-ray player. Didn't need the bells and whistles that the Oppo provided (for a price). Don't get me wrong, they are supposed to be superb machines, but just too much $$$ for something that I wouldn't tap into all of the extra features on.

I don't need/want that are a premium price impacter:
SACD support
DVD-Audio
Analog outs
Dual HDMI out

Nice features, just something I don't need. The streaming stuff is in just about any other player, so I went with something else that was highly rated.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
dakkon #369542 03/13/12 08:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
So far, all I can find are 2 players that have 2 HDMI outs, but I haven't looked at Denon players.

2 HDMI outs are necessary if you want 3D TV and still using a 2D receiver. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about this problem.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters