Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 34 of 101 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 100 101
Re: Exciting News From Axiom!
Amie #369666 03/14/12 03:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Maybe I should buy that new iPAD after all.

CatBrat #369667 03/14/12 04:00 PM
L
LRA Offline
devotee
devotee
L
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Maybe I should buy that new iPAD after all.

glad to know I helped someone! :-)

Amie #369670 03/14/12 04:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Amie
Hey, I offered to bring you a VP160 when I came to visit last week! But oh no . . .

IIRC, you offered after you arrived. But I'll take you up on the in-home consult for the placement when I do order.

Scott

My HT
Amie #369672 03/14/12 04:17 PM
Amie Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
It's true, it's true. Hey, if you're cooking up those incredible oysters again, I'll be down for a weekly consult while you're making your decision! Ohhh, and the shrimp, and the . . . is anyone else hungry?

LRA #369673 03/14/12 04:18 PM
Amie Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: LucRaymond
I decided to help my Axiom friends by releasing my wonderful product evaluation diagram. Hoping it would help someone not sure about buying new products.

I use it every time! it works for me.

Oh man . . . this is a must-link from the newsletter!!

Amie #369675 03/14/12 04:33 PM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
OK, I've finally been asked to spill some of the beans regarding this new, as-yet-unnamed, model. By now we have received a number of questions, all of which are in a similar vein:

I've seen these before, aren't they just a bipolar speaker?
Why have drivers on the back of a speaker where I can't hear them?
Why do you need 4 amplifier channels and a DSP anyway?
What are you guys up in Dwight smoking, and where can I get some? wink

First a little background:
Many people do not realize that the sound we hear from a speaker in a room is comprised of direct and reflected signals that come from all surfaces of the speaker, except for the bottom if they are floor-standers sitting directly on the floor. smile It's an amazing sight to measure a conventional speaker in an anechoic chamber with the BACK of the cabinet pointed at the microphone and witness that there is quite a bit going on back there. The bulk of the sound does come from the front and sides of a typical speaker, but as we move higher and higher in frequency, more of that information disappears as we move around the cabinet. Low frequencies don't behave the same way as they are omnidirectional by nature. This gives us something of a discontinuity in that at higher and higher frequencies we are radiating less and less acoustic energy, or power, into the room. So why do we care? Well, simply because this issue of "most of the energy up front" tends to compress the natural sense of acoustic and depth perspective of instruments, singers, and the space they were recorded.

The idea of biploar, which as many of you know I am VERY familiar with, was to duplicate the signal coming from the front of the speaker at the back of the speaker. This signal would be in phase with the front (push-push), unlike a dipole which would be out of phase at the back (push-pull). Theoretically, you would now have an ideal radiation pattern all around the cabinet, with no reduction in mid and high frequencies. Unfortunately, there are significant issues that come with the benefits. One is that by introducing this extra energy into the room, you end up skewing the total balance. It's becomes tipped up at the top end. You also end up with some serious cancellations between the front and rear drivers which tend to wash out images and give you 10 foot wide vocalists! And because you are driving this bipolar speaker with a single amplifier, you have limited control on how different the front and back signals can be. In many cases the level of the rear section is simply reduced to try and combat these issues. We have a speaker that has a natural sense of space and depth, but with tonal and imaging issues. Great...

The solution? Come up with a way to give the speaker a perfect power response, get rid of the cancellation, and make sure the tonal balance is perfect. Easy, right? Yes, it does sound easy, but practically it's difficult to implement. You need to drive the front and back sections differently and independently. That's why we need an extra stereo amplifier for this speaker. We also need to have far more control over the acoustic response of both sections of the speaker, something impossible with conventional crossover networks on their own. 4-channel DSP to the rescue!

If you do this right, and, believe me, that takes a mountain of R&D, you can have your cake and eat it to. Exactly what we are doing and, more importantly why, will remain a secret. What we have been able to achieve is what we believe to be the first "omnidirectional" speaker, which we've codenamed LFR (Linear Field Radiator), that does not trade off neutral tonal balance and imaging precision for an artificially big sense of space. If you have listened to bipolar speakers before and haven't liked them, you need to listen to these! smile

Amie #369676 03/14/12 04:33 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
The new speakers look great, but the real fun for me will be learning about how the DSP compensates for room & boundary interactions along with the two independant sets of drivers.

Not only are they taller, but how deep are they? The M80 is already 17" deep. It will be interesting to see what kind of room/placement requirements and/or restrictions are needed.

M80s, VP180, QS8s, EP800 v3
avjunkee #369677 03/14/12 04:35 PM
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Axiom Engineer
devotee
Originally Posted By: avjunkee
The new speakers look great, but the real fun for me will be learning about how the DSP compensates for room & boundary interactions along with the two independant sets of drivers.

Not only are they taller, but how deep are they? The M80 is already 17" deep. It will be interesting to see what kind of room/placement requirements and/or restrictions are needed.

See above. smile
And they are the same depth as the M80s.

Amie #369678 03/14/12 04:39 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Ha, thanks Andrew, I see we posted at the same time smile.

M80s, VP180, QS8s, EP800 v3
Amie #369679 03/14/12 04:42 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Andrew, can you speak to room interactions, room size, and reflecting surface (the "front" of the room i.e., the area behind the speaker)?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 34 of 101 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 100 101

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020