Rate Thread
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
Re: Scoop on Axiom Subs?
Cork #370647 03/22/12 08:31 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Price is relative and not the determining factor in how well a speaker sounds. I have a set of $5000 msrp speakers (Opus 2-2's) that I have listened to in the same room, with the same electronics and wires as my M80ti's. They sound different, but not any 'better'. They both sound great to me, and both sound better than the other depending on what I'm listening to, or my mood for that matter.

This is really a stupid argument. Just get what sounds good to you, whatever makes you happy, blah blah and all that BS. If you don't like the way other speaker sounds, that's your choice, your preference, but that's all it is. To start cutting another one down or criticizing the company is simply rude and a clear definition of a person's character.

At least Axiom has a 30 day, in your home trial period. If you buy them and don't like what you hear, send them back, no questions asked. Anyone who buys them, keeps them, then comes back to bitch about them later is not someone worth any effort whatsoever to pay any attention to.

michael_d #370648 03/22/12 08:41 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Originally Posted By: michael_d
Price is relative and not the determining factor in how well a speaker sounds. I have a set of $5000 msrp speakers (Opus 2-2's) that I have listened to in the same room, with the same electronics and wires as my M80ti's. They sound different, but not any 'better'. They both sound great to me, and both sound better than the other depending on what I'm listening to, or my mood for that matter.

This is really a stupid argument. Just get what sounds good to you, whatever makes you happy, blah blah and all that BS. If you don't like the way other speaker sounds, that's your choice, your preference, but that's all it is. To start cutting another one down or criticizing the company is simply rude and a clear definition of a person's character.

At least Axiom has a 30 day, in your home trial period. If you buy them and don't like what you hear, send them back, no questions asked. Anyone who buys them, keeps them, then comes back to bitch about them later is not someone worth any effort whatsoever to pay any attention to.

I agree buy what you like. Long term opinions is much more valuable than, someone whos had a pair of speakers for a week and gives a review. Speakers are and investment, its good to know peoples opinions of products, speakers, appliances, cars, computers, ect... Your all for people who have postive opinions only. If you don't like someones opinion and you think this arguement is stupid, nothing is stopping you from going back to the shoutbox or participating in another thread.

We're all apart of the audio community and have a passion for this hobby, no reason to get offended if someone doesn't like what you like, and I sure as hell don't get offended that you like Axiom.

michael_d #370649 03/22/12 08:42 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J

I did like the Axioms when I first got them b/c I had nothing else to compare them to. I bought them based on the positive reviews. Over time, I started noticing things I didn't like. So I began demoing other speakers some good and some bad but I realized I was missing something.

I wish I found me some critical opinions prior, to make a better purchasing decision. You can't trust any magazine reviews b/c reviewers seem to love everything they review. I guess they don't want to piss off their advertisers. This is why opinions from real users matter the most but you want to squash that b/c my opinion doesn't agree with yours.

I am not a fanboy for any brand. I like what is good and at the moment I like what I hear from Ascend Acoustics. In fact, I liked it so much I ordered a pair. Perhaps in a few years my tastes will evolve beyond them if I find something better.

I think its really abnormal the way some folks here elevate the Axiom brand to the holly grail of loudspeakers. They are CLEARLY NOT from my experiences.

Last edited by JBall; 03/22/12 08:44 PM.
Cork #370651 03/22/12 08:54 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
VP150 is what soured my opinion of Axiom. It just wore on me over the months and years. Finally I just gave up trying to make it sound better. Started researching and demoing for months to find something better and noticed just about any center I tried outperformed the Axiom VP150 hands down.

Cork #370653 03/22/12 08:56 PM
shareholder in the making
Originally Posted By: JBall
I realize the Sierra towers are more money, but IMO worth the added expense and after hearing them, I can never go back to my Axioms. Sorry guys.

No need to be sorry.

You did what people SHOULD do...you listened to both and made your preference. There's nothing wrong with that.

I've been here since 1994, and I can honestly say that I've seen very, very few times when someone who has done a comparison and chose a competitive product ended up getting slammed for it.

What IS problematic is when someone comes here and says "Axioms suck because they're not braced the same as XX brand" or "Axioms' philosophy is all wrong because this other speaker company's is....." or "Aluminum tweeters must be bad" or "This speaker MUST have lobing", even though they personally have no way to measure such things. Or, more specifically in this case, "this new speaker must be bad so let's start trashing it" even though none of us have heard it. And...be clear... that doesn't automatically mean that I think the new speaker is wonderful... as I haven't heard it either. But it doesn't make me a fanboy to say "Let's give the new speaker the benefit of the doubt until we've heard it".

If you go to a Chevy Forum and tell everyone there that Fords are better, OF COURSE you're treading on thin ice. It can be done, but diplomatically. Not going in with guns blazing, telling everyone there that they're stupid and wrong. We like our Axioms or we wouldn't be here.

No one ever says that other speakers can't be better, Axioms are just a good value in comparison to many other brands. Same with Ascend.

Finally, no one has the same preferences, budget, room restrictions & aesthetic requirements. I firmly believe that there are NO "best" speakers. Some like their sound bass-heavy, some warm, some bright, some neutral, some like their speakers tall, some built in to their walls, some are fine saving some money with vinyl finish, others want lacquered piano-black...whatever. And if I think your speaker sounds bass heavy and you like it just fine, who am I to say that I'm right...or that IN YOUR ROOM that speaker DOESN'T sound better?

I'm a believer in measurements to achieve linear playback as the engineer's intended. But if someone finds a different sound more pleasing to them, more power to them. That's what this hobby is all about.

Even two speakers that show specs as 38Hz-20KHz +/- 3dB will likely sound very different because of where their "pluses and minuses" fall.

This IS just a hobby. There's no need for threads to go off like this one did.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Cork #370659 03/22/12 09:54 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
Mark, exactly what i had in mind. Bravo!

The worst are, as you say, those who've never heard a speaker (or whatever), and say they know everything about it and nothing will change their mind.

same mentality as religious fanatics (ignoramus)...they have caused wars for thousands of years because of this kind of behavior.

what everyone should do to counteract this is by not answering the BS;
and the "golden ear" experts should study human nature/psychology a little.

MarkSJohnson #370665 03/22/12 10:08 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Quote:
What IS problematic is when someone comes here and says "Axioms suck because they're not braced the same as XX brand" or "Axioms' philosophy is all wrong because this other speaker company's is....." or "Aluminum tweeters must be bad" or "This speaker MUST have lobing", even though they personally have no way to measure such things. Or, more specifically in this case, "this new speaker must be bad so let's start trashing it" even though none of us have heard it. And...be clear... that doesn't automatically mean that I think the new speaker is wonderful... as I haven't heard it either. But it doesn't make me a fanboy to say "Let's give the new speaker the benefit of the doubt until we've heard it".

Your remarks are true but I never did say Axiom speakers suck. They just aren't up to the level pro reviewers and some fanboys claim them to be.

Also, part of the reason I chose the Ascends was their full disclosure of measurements and pictures of the parts used, something Axiom doesn't do. I know what I am getting with Ascends where as Axiom is just hearsay.

Last edited by JBall; 03/22/12 10:09 PM.
Cork #370666 03/22/12 10:16 PM
JBall, my post was not directed towards you, though I used your example of doing an actual speaker comparison as a "jumping off point".

I hope you have many happy listening sessions with your Ascends!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #370667 03/22/12 10:34 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
JBall, my post was not directed towards you, though I used your example of doing an actual speaker comparison as a "jumping off point".

I hope you have many happy listening sessions with your Ascends!

Yeah 3 months ago I should have used a different phrase than "sucks for the price"

My meaning of that phrase is the same as
Not a great bang for the buck
Doesn't perform to other products in the same price points

Which its not only me saying that but also some really die hard Axiom fans say the same thing.

We looked at the EP600 measurements done awhile and the re done measurements and compared it to the new SVS PB12 NSD an while they were fairly close above 40hrz the SVS outshined the EP600 below 40hrz. Its kind of sad in my eyes that a subwoofer costing $759.00 can outdo an $1870 subwoofer. Plus both offer DSP, and powerful digital amps.

Axiom speakers somewhat of a good bang for the buck, the subwoofer not so much.

Its why these Axiom subwoofer thread pop up all the time is the HUGE price gaps between Axiom subs and the competition. As of right now Axiom can't match the other ID brands like SVS, HSU, Rythmik, and eD.

They don't suck performance wise, they just haven't kept up with the competition. SVS, HSU, Rythmik keep innovating bring new updated better performing products on a regualar basis.

And when Gene corrected me on his forum that Axiom subwoofers don't suck, he then went on to say that, they just haven't kept up and they perform well but its 2003-2004 performance not 2012. The competition has just improved so much that if you stand idle to long you get left behind.

Last edited by gtpsuper; 03/22/12 10:39 PM.
gtpsuper #370668 03/22/12 10:39 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Originally Posted By: gtpsuper

I agree buy what you like. Long term opinions is much more valuable than, someone whos had a pair of speakers for a week and gives a review. Speakers are and investment, its good to know peoples opinions of products, speakers, appliances, cars, computers, ect... Your all for people who have postive opinions only. If you don't like someones opinion and you think this arguement is stupid, nothing is stopping you from going back to the shoutbox or participating in another thread.

We're all apart of the audio community and have a passion for this hobby, no reason to get offended if someone doesn't like what you like, and I sure as hell don't get offended that you like Axiom.

I said the argument over ‘which speaker is better’ is stupid, not opinions or preferences. It is stupid to argue over such nonsense. Better is no different than quality. There is no real definition to either. They are preferences influenced by a multitude of factors that are unique to the individual and that indivual’s life experiences, predjudces and personal or professional bias. There is no universal standard for either, unless you happen to work for the nuclear industry…

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (chapin99, Cork), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup